The Big Blue Bus has arrived...

All Seat Ateca related discussions
PaulT00

The Big Blue Bus has arrived...

Post by PaulT00 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:23 pm

Picked the beast up on Friday afternoon, but we haven't had anything resembling decent weather since to take pictures!

Generally it's a lovely car to drive. I'm convinced it handles better than the old Altea XL; the DSG is mostly lovely but occasionally gets it wrong - I'm still learning how best to be clear with it exactly what I want it to do! I know some don't like leather seats but I've always found them more comfortable than cloth - and of course nothing says 'luxury' quite like driving around with a warm backside...

Still very early days so I'm deliberately not caning the thing - even staying below 3k rpm and being uncharacteristically gentle with the throttle it's still a very rapid device. It gathers momentum with authority, as the saying goes... The power tailgate with the foot wiggle control is, I'm now convinced, a thing of beauty and a joy forever - had occasion to use it several times at the weekend in drizzly conditions with hands full of shopping, and it's just great to be able to open the thing hands free. It's also nice to be able to get in and have the sound system automatically connect to my iPhone over bluetooth without having to faff with it, and start playing the last song which was on. The 'iPod integration' in the old Altea relied on a connection in the centre console, with a special unicorn unobtainium cable whose connection could be a bit dodgy, and the first few minutes of every journey were generally taken up with faffing with it to get the car to connect to the phone and vice versa.

I will miss the Altea - it was a good workhorse (a 2.0TDI 140bhp SE with a manual gearbox) and we did nearly 40,000 miles together. I was actually quite sad when we had to leave the Big Green Bus in the dealership carpark; but the Ateca is a proper luxury car by comparison - it's much smoother, quieter and more relaxed to drive, and I'm worth it! :lol:

A couple of minor niggles, if anyone has any thoughts:

1. in 'normal' Drive mode, takeoff from rest can be a little relaxed (even with start/stop switched off), not sure if it's because I'm still getting used to the setup or something intrinsic to the DSG; I've taken to clicking the lever back to flick it into Sport mode when in situations where I anticipate needing a quick getaway, which seems to speed it up quite a bit, and then click it back again to switch back to normal Drive once flowing freely. To be honest it's the first auto type gearbox I've owned although I've driven a fair few over the years; I'd normally have gone for a manual, but the more powerful - and much smoother - 190bhp engine was only available with the DSG, so...

2. the engine cooling fan (I think) seems to run for at least several minutes after stopping the engine, which is a little disconcerting. Is this expected on the 190 TDI, or should I mention it to the dealer? Obviously for a diesel it's in a fairly intense state of tune and clearly produces a significant heat output, so I'm assuming that it's attempting to cool everything down a bit to avoid roasting anything important with heat soak.

Any thoughts gratefully received on those last two points. Other than that, it's a stonking piece of hardware!
The Big Blue Bus : Ateca Xcellence 190 TDI 4Drive DSG, Lava Blue, 18", Heated Windscreen, Panoramic roof, Xcellence Pack, Adv Comfort & Driving pack plus, double boot floor OTR 17-MAR-2017

randomperson

Re: The Big Blue Bus has arrived...

Post by randomperson » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:34 pm

Fans and heat probably dfp doing a regen.

Tell

Post by Tell » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:20 am

Every 200 miles or so it will do a regeneration if you happen to stop during this, that's when the fan runs at full blast since the DPF is turned into a mini furnace. I wait around just to check that it powers the fans down.

The 7 speed DSG seems to settle down. Mind you, was lumpy at first think as the engine gets more flexible the DSG works better at pulling away. I don't get the snatches I did or adapted a lighter foot as it ran in. Personally I keep out of sport mode, eco or paddles and yes I've fixed the SS to make the car relaxing to drive just like an Altea ;). It does handle like the Altea I found when I first got it with the steering and driver left leg rest, home from home. Just the snatchy gear box but that issue has gone. Just got that 40 percent power to weight ratio increase :).

When I said like the Altea, the Ateca 4Drive does give you a sea saw ride on road undulations that the Altea never did. Put that down to off road suspension kicking in on main roads where the surface resembles an off road course. Tree root subsidence is one just up the road from where I live, the Ateca suspension generates a roll, Altea just went with the road. Rest of the time much the same ride.
Ateca Xcellence 190 TDI 4Drive DSG, Rodium Grey, 19", Heated Windscreen, Navigation Plus, Seat sound, Panoramic roof, Xcellence Pack, Adv Comfort & Driving pack - on the road

Malcster

Post by Malcster » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:29 am

I agree with the acceleration issue, your foot is half way down before it starts moving. Sport mode is much more responsive, but it retards the gear changes considerably so you are using a lot more fuel. I think the way to go is to slowly put your foot down in normal mode, rather than all at once, as it soon builds up the speed that way.

Fred99

Post by Fred99 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:46 pm

I think this pulling away problem seems to affect the TDI rather than the TSI. On my TSI there is no problem at all, either with S/S on or off. It pulls away immediately with no hesitation. I also find that if you do want to override the S/S, the easiest way is just to touch the throttle and the engine immediately starts. The auto hold prevents it from creeping until you apply a touch more throttle.

They are different boxes mechanically and I assume that the software might be different in some respects.
1.4TSI DSG Xcellence delivered 2/3/17 after 6 months wait. Brilliant Silver. 18" machined alloys. Park Assist. 360º cameras. Power boot. All driver assists. Alcantara. SEAT sound.

PaulT00

Post by PaulT00 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:23 pm

Fred99 wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:46 pm
I think this pulling away problem seems to affect the TDI rather than the TSI. [snip]

They are different boxes mechanically and I assume that the software might be different in some respects.
Of course the TDI box has to handle a lot more torque delivered from very low engine speeds... I may also have a play with turning off the autohold to see how that affects things. :)

I had wondered about the DPF regenerating, it just struck me as a bit odd that it should do so with the engine turned off! And when it did so, the car only had about 60 miles on the clock, so much less than the expected interval of 200ish. But there was definitely a 'hot' smell... :lol:
The Big Blue Bus : Ateca Xcellence 190 TDI 4Drive DSG, Lava Blue, 18", Heated Windscreen, Panoramic roof, Xcellence Pack, Adv Comfort & Driving pack plus, double boot floor OTR 17-MAR-2017

Fred99

Post by Fred99 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:08 pm

I take your point about the higher torque, but the 1.4tsi actually delivers its Maximum torque 250 RPM lower than the tide engine.

As I understand it, if you turn off Autohold it remains off until you restart the car - maybe not what you would want.

As for the hot smell, it's all the various coatings burning off the engine. Mine smelt strongly of burning when I returned after the 25 miles run home from the dealers. It never happened again.
1.4TSI DSG Xcellence delivered 2/3/17 after 6 months wait. Brilliant Silver. 18" machined alloys. Park Assist. 360º cameras. Power boot. All driver assists. Alcantara. SEAT sound.

Tell

Post by Tell » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:44 am

You know when you catch it doing it when you park up due to the heat coming out from under the car and the smell.

Soft foot could be the answer on the DSG as Malcster said which may be what I adapted into. It isn't an issue now, the DSG is as smooth as my old one. So we agree on normal mode and soft foot.
Ateca Xcellence 190 TDI 4Drive DSG, Rodium Grey, 19", Heated Windscreen, Navigation Plus, Seat sound, Panoramic roof, Xcellence Pack, Adv Comfort & Driving pack - on the road

Return to “Main Seat Ateca chat”