Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to decide how to specify my upcoming Ateca order and have a couple of questions.

Perhaps the first is about the engine: do those of you who have the 1.0 petrol engine find it underpowered on the motorway with a full car (say 3 passengers and a boot full of stuff)? If you were doing it all over again, would you buy it again or would you go for the 1.4?

Many thanks,

Joe

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Without usurping what anybody says that does drive this car with this engine, the Daily Telegraph in its motoring Q&A pages have advised in the past that on the Ateca 1.0 is fine for two adults, 1.4 for four adults. So that's their rule of thumb that they gave given on the petrol Ateca. I'm sure family's with small kids are included in either.

·
Registered
338 Posts
In 12 months time when you have realised that you wished you'd chosen the 1.4 and are stuck with a car that you're not totally happy with, how will you feel then? I never considered the 1.0 because of that reasoning. That and I wanted the Xcellence as well.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hi, I had my reservations when choosing the 1.0 engine, especially as my husband had his doubts and would've never let me live it down if it didn't live up to expectations . We had not test driven one as there was none available, so literally was trusting the word of the salesman, who our family had dealt with several times.
My previous cars was an Mercedes A class, then B class so it had a lot to live up to. It did in leaps and bounds. Around town, it's great and on the motorway, with 4 people (one who is 6"5 and 16.5 stone) absolutely no problem at all. Picks up speed on steep motorway hills even in 6th.
Personal choice at the end of the day but we're more than happy with our 1.0 SE and it has exceeded our expectations and, given the choice, would choose it again.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I think it's got plenty of power, as long as you don't set your expectations unreasonably. It doesn't have an issue with four adults on a motorway at all, put your foot down it will still move. Round town it is just fine as well.

It has the same bhp as the 1.6 diesel, which no one questions. Don't be put off by the "1.0". It's also the lightest of all the range.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've not posted anything on here before thought I should contribute to this one as, like you, I was undecided about whether to go for 1.0 or 1.4.

I test drove both cars a couple of times - the 1.4 definitely has more torque and accelerates quicker than the 1.0. However, it is also more expensive for road tax (if you purchase and register before 1 April) and couple of insurance groups higher. The 1.0 has reasonable torque and quite a "throaty" engine sound; acceleration is definitely slower and you have to work the gears slightly more than the 1.4 but still a good run. Apparently the fuel economy is broadly the same for both cars

I used to be doing a lot of mileage and have changed from a diesel - now doing less than 10k per year and mostly around town and/or shorter journeys. I do the occasional long journey to see relatives.

So, like you I was undecided and concerned that if I bought the 1.0 over 1.4 then I would regret it later in ownership.

In the end I bought the demo - a 1.0 SE which came with lots of extras (Keyless, upgraded alloys, Rodium Grey, Nav, tinted rear windows, electric tailgate). Basically it's the same spec as Ist Edition - but got a discount by saving on the VAT plus 2 years free servicing.

My decision was partly financial (ie reduced cost to buy and lower running costs) but ultimately I felt the 1.0 met all of my current driving needs. Since then I've done over 500 miles, mainly short runs and a couple of longer runs with up to 4 adults.

It's great, I really enjoy driving it and its actually fun working the engine. It does't feel underpowered at all in my opinion.

So (IMHO) - if you want a great car for shorter journeys and around town driving go for the 1.0 - you won't be disappointed. If you are used to more acceleration and are doing longer journeys on a regular basis then I would go for the 1.4. However it does work out quite a bit more expensive and would take a long time/lots of miles to recoup additional costs.

If you do want to buy the 1.0 then get the order in quick - if you have to register after 1 April then the road tax will go up considerably and no real financial benefit over the 1.4.

Hope that helps!!

PS - am I the only person on this forum to have bought a used/demo?????

·
Registered
931 Posts
Agree with Bassman above.

Coming from a 1.6 diesel and already owning a 0.9tce Clio, I too was apprehensive about 1.0 engine in a car this size. Ended up ordering it after test drive tho. I thought VW group's 1.0tsi was very impressive, super smooth, very quiet and had no concerns with power / acceleration. I did have an issue with mpg but that's difficult to gauge over such a short period of time.

Would my experience transalte to a fully loaded car? I have my doubts, but it all depends on your own expectations. Only way to tell is to test drive it.

In saying that, I changed my order next day for a 1.4 ONLY because I decided to go for Xcellence trim. If it existed, a 1.0tsi Xcellence would have been perfect for my needs.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I've posted this before, my mate has a 1.0t grand cmax, he goes to France every summer with missus, three kids, and a full boot and roof box, and he says that manages just fine...

Although a small CC, the 1.0 engine has around the same power as an old 1.8i petrol engine, and 10 more bhp than a Renault 5 GT turbo did..

·
Registered
45 Posts
I gave the 1.0 and the 1.4 extensive test drives as both were potentially appropriate for our needs: on the one hand this is not our main family car and will be used by learner drivers so that makes a case for the 1.0. On the other hand it will mostly be used 4 up and loaded with kit bags and we live in a hilly area, which according to at least one review I read, makes a case for the 1.4.

I couldn't detect a significant difference between the fuel consumption when the car is loaded up - obviously you have to work the 1.0 a bit more. My quotes were about 15% to insure a learner on with the 1.4 but not eye wateringly so. They'll be the same tax after 1st April as well - the concept of £30 annual tax was appealing but even though there is better availability on the 1.0 engine I was told they couldn't guarantee to register a January order before April.

Overall I think the 1.0 is a very fine engine and in stop/start traffic round town it would be fine. But on faster roads, loaded up, the 1.4 has tangibly better pick up and is a better match for the car in those conditions. You'd make progress in a 1.0 but the 1.4 pulls harder in the midrange.

Frankly, I went in to the process expecting to get a 1.0 SE but after testing both I decided to upgrade to a 1.4 Xcellence as it just suited our needs better. I also prefer cars with a "bit extra" in the engine department, so YMMV.

They are both good engines and a good case can be made for either in the Ateca in different circumstances - try both, think about how you would use the car, and make your own decision. Neither would be "wrong", but one may be more "right" for you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks so much to everyone who has posted. I really appreciated the thoughtful and considered replies. I suspect that most of our mileage will be around town, with trips to France and Scotland mostly with just two of us. So the 1.0 will probably be okay, unless I feel I need to go with the Xcellence spec. Which leads to my next question, about wheel size. But I'll post that separately...

Joe

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.