Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently driving a 1.6 petrol sportage which is horrendous on fuel. Getting around 33.5 which has confirmed my decision not to get another in 8 weeks time when contract runs out.

Looked at crv, vitara and ateca and decided on the seat. Ordering this week but can't decide on the 1.0 petrol or the 1.6 diesel.

Anyone give me a real life idea of mpg for these cars

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have the 1.6l diesel, and the fuel economy is OK, not great, just OK.

Currently getting about 45mpg on motorway driving, but have seen it dip to the low 30's. Tyre air pressure is religiously up kept, and the car is unloaded for the most part (aside from dog walks and going to the shops).

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have the 1.0 SE Ecomotive and I do around 10,000 miles a year.

So far I have done around 900 miles in my Ateca and had it just over a month. I get around 37.5 - 40mpg on a round the city trip, and usually get a return of between 40 - 42.5mpg on a motorway drive at around 75mph. I find that the Cruise Control hinders your mpg, Not sure if others feel the same?

The long term average (which is all the miles that the car has covered) comes back at around 35mpg for me at the moment.
I wouldn't say that I drive any different to get this mpg, I give it a bit of welly when it needs it, other than that I just drive as I normally would.

My personal opinion, but I find that if you stick religiously to the eco-trainer which tells you when to change gears you get a worse mpg than if you were to change gear when you feel that the car needs it.

Personal preference really, but I have come from a 1.9L VW Golf and I feel that the 1.0 litre petrol Ateca is pretty decent.

·
Registered
581 Posts
ArnP said:

Currently getting about 45mpg on motorway driving, but have seen it dip to the low 30's. Tyre air pressure is religiously up kept, and the car is unloaded for the most part (aside from dog walks and going to the shops).
Woh. Mine gives a regular 42-45 on general driving around the city, and in the 55-60s area on a mway run..

·
Registered
10 Posts
I nearly always have the 'dial' for driving style set to economic. I get 50-52 mpg. Yesterday it had five adults in; I moved the dial from economy to 'motorway' and it still did 51.2mpg.
I have 1.6 diesel. I will say, the weird burning smell it gives off after you've turned the engine off takes some getting used to, but it goes after the first 200 miles. You can't smell it in the car, just if you are stood next to the car, unloading shopping etc. I think it's burning off stuff to keep the engine efficient.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Mine does that too still, but it's well over 1000 miles in now. Like a burning rubber smell from the exhaust when you stand at the back..

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Ghiggz said:
Mine does that too still, but it's well over 1000 miles in now. Like a burning rubber smell from the exhaust when you stand at the back..
I wonder if that's the difference between SCR and non SCR. I can't say much smell except when it's regenerating if it goes into that or is completing it or cooling down from it when stationary. Temperatures go up to 500'C (or may be 'F) in the process so bound to be some smells.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Ghiggz said:
ArnP said:

Woh. Mine gives a regular 42-45 on general driving around the city, and in the 55-60s area on a mway run..
What's your secret? lol.

In fairness, that's that average MPG. I do about 80% motorway driving, with about 20% city driving. I use a custom driving profile of Eco engine, sport steering and normal air con too, so not sure if those have any effect.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the replies folks. I have today ordered a 1.6 tdi se tech in rodium grey. One thing is for sure it will be better than the 32mpg I have averaged on the 1.6 petrol sportage over the last 3 years, awful return these days

·
Registered
64 Posts
What's quite interesting is the autoexpress.co.uk track times on these 2 engines.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/nissan/qashqai/100493/nissan-qashqai-vs-seat-ateca-vs-peugeot-3008
Here they clock the 1.6TDI at 0-60 of 10.4 seconds

And for the more real world acceleration of 30-50 in 3rd the 1.6 does it in 4.2 seconds

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/toyota/c-hr/98512/toyota-c-hr-vs-seat-ateca-vs-nissan-qashqai
They clock the 1.0 TSI 0-60 at 10.7 seconds and 30-50 in 3rd in 4.6 seconds

What's quite odd is that they clock the 1.0 TSI acceleration from 50-70 5th and 6th gears in faster times that then 1.6 TDI. Would normally expect the diesel to be better in the higher gear acceleration and the petrol to have the better 0-60 time.. 50-70mph in 5th/6th 9.7/13.1 secs in the 1.0 TSI and 10.4/15.0 secs in the 1.6 TDI

Whereas the official 0-62 figures have the 1.0 faster at 11.0 seconds and 1.6 at 11.5 seconds

·
Registered
63 Posts
I've got the 2.0 diesel with 4x4. I typically get low 50s on the motorway. I tend to drive at 70 MPH with the ACC on occasionally accelerating around a slower moving vehicle. It has to be said that I am a very am a gentle drive will three Ateca. I have a Boxster for playing in.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I know it's a bit late - but I've the 1.0. I get low-to-mid 30s around town (central london), and high 40s on the motorway. Driving at 70 I can get over 50 mpg with ease. The long term average is 35.5, but I do 95% of my driving in stop/start city traffic. I'm happy enough with the economy. And I think the performance is fine, for my needs at least. The petrol was quite a lot cheaper than the diesel and I don't do enough miles to ever recoup that difference on increased economy. Plus as I'm in the city all the time, I've an eye on air pollution and particulates.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts