Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, so following test drive today, the missus was (just about) happy enough, so did a deal and have put in an order! WOOP! Anyway, for those still deciding here are my thought processes if of use. Now I just need to begin the long wait :(

1.4 - decided 1.0 was going to be too weedy after 7 years in a 210 bhp golf. 8.5 0-60 sounds just fine. Generally I don't like the sound of diesels, from the outside they still sound like a bus, plus there's the bad smell when filling up (which costs more than petrol too). I do 5k miles per annum so economy benefit of diesel doesn't stack up and the 1.4 is pretty economical anyway. The upcoming FR was a tempting choice, but the body colour sills don't look good imo as makes it seem heavy and slabby. I couldn't bear the additional wait time either!

SE Tech trim not the Xcellence - this was an agonising choice for me. The Xcellence was better value and actually £150 quid cheaper once specced like for like with the SE Tech, but the dealbreaker was the leather trim (hot/ clammy in summer and wife finds they look too "old man"). Personally I quite liked the leather, but the Xcellence standard wheels I didn't like so much as the SE Tech ones and I didn't fancy spending £680 on the 19s. Another benefit of the SE Tech is the lighter coloured roof lining which makes the car feel airier. Downside, is I don't get the fancy puddle lights, but I'll live.

Panoramic roof - so even though I liked the lighter colour headlining in the SE Tech, I still wanted a panoramic roof to let even more light in. This also elevates the car to feel more premium as well. Weird that choosing this requires the LED ambient lighting, but hey ho, it's a gimmick to impress the kids with my "disco" as Thomas would say! Actually I'm hoping that it's going to be classy rather than tacky!

Park Assist, front/ rear sensors - park assist itself I doubt I'll ever use. I had it on my previous car for 7 years and only ever used it to show off to friends and never in reality since it's too slow. That said I do value front sensors, especially when getting to grips with the Ateca's larger proportions vs my old car, so this became a must have.

Reversing camera - had it on my old car and became very used to using it for parking. Excellent for tight spots. I tried parallel parking an Ateca on the test drive and that one didn't have a camera which totally unnerved me!

DSG - my wife is on an auto only licence so this was mandatory. However, even if she wasn't I would still go DSG to enjoy the driving profiles to their fullest. Also I live in the city so this makes driving much more leisurely.

Bila White. I originally wanted Nevada, but in some lights it actually has hints of grey/ blue. It's a much colder/ icier colour than the warmer and friendlier bila! Bila also reminded me of my old man's 525i BMW (E34) which I thought looked amazing at the time.

Convenience pack - I'm used to the auto lights, coming home lights, rain sensors from my old car, so this was a good option, especially as not too pricey.

Dark tinted rear windows - some say this is to look "gangster". But the reality is that with a newborn baby, this is to protect them from the sun and also to protect my wife's modesty when she's breast feeding in a service station car park! Plus when the kid is older it'll look gangster!

Double floor - not too pricey and I've been brain washed by too many youtube reviews claiming a flat load bay and low boot lip is a good thing. Personally I'm hoping the lost depth isn't going to be an issue, but also the second compartment should prove handy as I didn't go for a spare tyre (wife rejected the idea of gangster bass from a sub-woofer :( )

Electric tailgate - another source of agony this one. From Autogeful reviews I knew how to test this feature for safety and generally I was and still am, skeptical about how well it detects something in its path when closing. I tried different ways of getting in the boot lids' way and there was about a 70% pass rate which is poor enough to be a worry. I even got some light bruising and torn skin from one test! Ultimately I decided that it was going to be more useful with all our baby paraphernalia than a true safety hazard. i.e. I just need to be more present to prevent any kids or people getting it the boot's way, much like I have to look around when slamming a manual boot. The snob in me also likes this as a more premium feeling gadget.

Service pack - for just under £500 this seemed a reasonable deal for 3 years. Not amazing like the one MINI had years back, but not bad. The stealer was quoting about £200 quid per minor service and £300 for a major, so over 3 years I could expect about £700 in servicing, making the maths work with a reasonable buffer.

I rejected GAP insurance as the thread on this forum helpfully pointed out I could get this elsewhere for less than half the price.

I rejected lifetime shine or whatever it's called cos I'm not really into keeping my car clean (maybe white wasn't such a good idea after all....)

I rejected the extended warranty, I just hear that this is a rip off and worst case I could get later on. I'd hope after 3 years that any teething issues would have been sorted out and it'd be too early for any major issues (I typically only do about 5k miles per annum).

I toyed with the idea of the decorative interior trim, but it didn't come in bila white (only comes in silver, red, blue and orange) so that ruled it out

Front grill surround (the thin one) - after seeing Snaggy's car, I decided this was a nice finishing touch to the front of the car and not too pricey at £171.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
160 Posts
You've put a lot of thought into it Kee with some nice extras in there... I hope you enjoy your new car when it arrives.

ps. You didn't use to be on another forum as admin with the same username did you?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Scott. No, only other forum I used to be on recently was the GolfGTI forum, but was nowhere near admin status! Prior to that, there was the britishbornchinese forum, but that's going back 15 years!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
160 Posts
Haha it was a different Kee.... about 8 years ago I was on a forum called clubbing abroad and the admin was called Kee :lol:

Funny how I've went from a clubbing forum to an Ateca forum.... grown up obviously :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
931 Posts
Really interesting to read a post detailing reasons.

kee said:
SE Tech trim Downside, is I don't get the fancy puddle lights, but I'll live.
.
It's not obvious from the specs in the brouchure, it contradicts itself if I remeber, but I'm sure those puddles come with LED lights. The SE-T I looked at had them. Perhaps an SE-T owner can confirm?

kee said:
Dark tinted rear windows - some say this is to look "gangster". But the reality is that with a newborn baby, this is to protect them from the sun and also to protect my wife's modesty when she's breast feeding in a service station car park!
'
You don't live near Nigel Farage by any chance? As we saw at the last election, he and his UKIP friends (what's left of them) don't approve of this hideous anti-social act and I'm sure will be very pleased you've chosen this option. Never know though, they may still insist she breast feeds under the tonneau cover ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ah, if I get puddle lights that'll be a nice bonus!

And as for Nigel, not as far as I know! Prob not since he'd want to deport me back to Hong Kong grrr
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
341 Posts
I have the puddle lights! Gave me a shock the frist night I went out in her! There was no mention by the dealer or spec sheet when ordered the car (was in stock at a U.K. dealer).

Also when you get her, give her a good waxing, Farecla G3 super gloss paste wax is amazing! I've used many waxes over the years but this was far the best
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,865 Posts
Ah ha Kee - I see about the trim here now as I catch up

I may change my name to snaggy - quite like the ring it has ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
I got mine back in Dec last year and it had the puddle lights.
In the brochure they are called "Welcome light silhouette" which is why its easy to miss them listed in the specification.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
286 Posts
kee said:
Hey all, so following test drive today, the missus was (just about) happy enough, so did a deal and have put in an order! WOOP! Anyway, for those still deciding here are my thought processes if of use. Now I just need to begin the long wait :(

1.4 - decided 1.0 was going to be too weedy after 7 years in a 210 bhp golf. 8.5 0-60 sounds just fine. Generally I don't like the sound of diesels, from the outside they still sound like a bus, plus there's the bad smell when filling up (which costs more than petrol too). I do 5k miles per annum so economy benefit of diesel doesn't stack up and the 1.4 is pretty economical anyway. The upcoming FR was a tempting choice, but the body colour sills don't look good imo as makes it seem heavy and slabby. I couldn't bear the additional wait time either!

SE Tech trim not the Xcellence - this was an agonising choice for me. The Xcellence was better value and actually £150 quid cheaper once specced like for like with the SE Tech, but the dealbreaker was the leather trim (hot/ clammy in summer and wife finds they look too "old man"). Personally I quite liked the leather, but the Xcellence standard wheels I didn't like so much as the SE Tech ones and I didn't fancy spending £680 on the 19s. Another benefit of the SE Tech is the lighter coloured roof lining which makes the car feel airier. Downside, is I don't get the fancy puddle lights, but I'll live.

Panoramic roof - so even though I liked the lighter colour headlining in the SE Tech, I still wanted a panoramic roof to let even more light in. This also elevates the car to feel more premium as well. Weird that choosing this requires the LED ambient lighting, but hey ho, it's a gimmick to impress the kids with my "disco" as Thomas would say! Actually I'm hoping that it's going to be classy rather than tacky!

Park Assist, front/ rear sensors - park assist itself I doubt I'll ever use. I had it on my previous car for 7 years and only ever used it to show off to friends and never in reality since it's too slow. That said I do value front sensors, especially when getting to grips with the Ateca's larger proportions vs my old car, so this became a must have.

Reversing camera - had it on my old car and became very used to using it for parking. Excellent for tight spots. I tried parallel parking an Ateca on the test drive and that one didn't have a camera which totally unnerved me!

DSG - my wife is on an auto only licence so this was mandatory. However, even if she wasn't I would still go DSG to enjoy the driving profiles to their fullest. Also I live in the city so this makes driving much more leisurely.

Bila White. I originally wanted Nevada, but in some lights it actually has hints of grey/ blue. It's a much colder/ icier colour than the warmer and friendlier bila! Bila also reminded me of my old man's 525i BMW (E34) which I thought looked amazing at the time.

Convenience pack - I'm used to the auto lights, coming home lights, rain sensors from my old car, so this was a good option, especially as not too pricey.

Dark tinted rear windows - some say this is to look "gangster". But the reality is that with a newborn baby, this is to protect them from the sun and also to protect my wife's modesty when she's breast feeding in a service station car park! Plus when the kid is older it'll look gangster!

Double floor - not too pricey and I've been brain washed by too many youtube reviews claiming a flat load bay and low boot lip is a good thing. Personally I'm hoping the lost depth isn't going to be an issue, but also the second compartment should prove handy as I didn't go for a spare tyre (wife rejected the idea of gangster bass from a sub-woofer :( )

Electric tailgate - another source of agony this one. From Autogeful reviews I knew how to test this feature for safety and generally I was and still am, skeptical about how well it detects something in its path when closing. I tried different ways of getting in the boot lids' way and there was about a 70% pass rate which is poor enough to be a worry. I even got some light bruising and torn skin from one test! Ultimately I decided that it was going to be more useful with all our baby paraphernalia than a true safety hazard. i.e. I just need to be more present to prevent any kids or people getting it the boot's way, much like I have to look around when slamming a manual boot. The snob in me also likes this as a more premium feeling gadget.

Service pack - for just under £500 this seemed a reasonable deal for 3 years. Not amazing like the one MINI had years back, but not bad. The stealer was quoting about £200 quid per minor service and £300 for a major, so over 3 years I could expect about £700 in servicing, making the maths work with a reasonable buffer.

I rejected GAP insurance as the thread on this forum helpfully pointed out I could get this elsewhere for less than half the price.

I rejected lifetime shine or whatever it's called cos I'm not really into keeping my car clean (maybe white wasn't such a good idea after all....)

I rejected the extended warranty, I just hear that this is a rip off and worst case I could get later on. I'd hope after 3 years that any teething issues would have been sorted out and it'd be too early for any major issues (I typically only do about 5k miles per annum).

I toyed with the idea of the decorative interior trim, but it didn't come in bila white (only comes in silver, red, blue and orange) so that ruled it out

Front grill surround (the thin one) - after seeing Snaggy's car, I decided this was a nice finishing touch to the front of the car and not too pricey at £171.
Great choice Kee, I think your line of thinking was similar to mine when I ordered as I really wanted the panoramic roof, lighter roof lining and the much nicer standard wheels, but the dealer seemed keen to steer us away from the SE Tech towards the xcellence and quoted a higher monthly repayment for SE Tech over the Xcellence despite the overall cost being less.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
240 Posts
Must be their way of upselling but Im not sure it makes sense. In Malta the options were Reference, Style and Xcellence, all with another optional pack. The Style+pack ended up costing more than the xcellence though (which includes all the stuff of the Style+pack and more), no idea how that is possible
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
286 Posts
SparK said:
Must be their way of upselling but Im not sure it makes sense. In Malta the options were Reference, Style and Xcellence, all with another optional pack. The Style+pack ended up costing more than the xcellence though (which includes all the stuff of the Style+pack and more), no idea how that is possible
Was that on solutions (pcp) finance? The reason the SE Tech (which is probly the equivalent of your style + Pack) can work out more expensive here on finance is because the optional final payment is lower than with the Xcellence, so where after 3 years you might have a final payment of £17,000 with the Xcellence, the final payment on the SE Tech might only be £12,000 meaning the monthly payments are higher as you have to pay off more of the overall cost of the car over the same amount of time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
290 Posts
Hey Spark - have you received a confirmed build date then?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
240 Posts
Im waiting till the start of May to make that important phone call. I don't presume the local dealership will be able to give me the same updates here just as you guys out there get. We'll hope for the best
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Uggzy, my dealer didn't even show me the final pcp figures as his logic was that it was all about the discount off list price. In hindsight I should have checked it as I know from experience it was come down to the expected residual value that affects the monthly cost. Eg with my current golf, speccing a dsg led to a higher residual value than a manual, so the monthly payments were lower even though list price was higher. Ah well, I'm happy sod it!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
286 Posts
kee said:
Uggzy, my dealer didn't even show me the final pcp figures as his logic was that it was all about the discount off list price. In hindsight I should have checked it as I know from experience it was come down to the expected residual value that affects the monthly cost. Eg with my current golf, speccing a dsg led to a higher residual value than a manual, so the monthly payments were lower even though list price was higher. Ah well, I'm happy sod it!
I wouldnt loose any sleep over it Kee, the differences between the two are minimal and you've covered most of them with the options you chose, besides you have the lovely SE Tech wheels that look loads better than the performance alloys! :)

I hadnt thought about residual value, makes a lot of sense come to think about it. In my case the SE Tech worked out cheaper with the options I wanted, but the dealer managed to convince the Mrs that the Xcellence was worth the extra cost, I'm still not sure why as the only difference was the leather seats which we didn't want in any case, the door sill plates and the duel exhaust.

Still I am very excited to get the Xcellence, but I'm the tight one so any saving would have been a bonus in my book! :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Funny how our Mrs' rule the buying decisions!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
778 Posts
Speak for yourselves - my other half let me decide all on my own, so long as it had the heated seats!

When I first looked at the Ateca at launch I was aiming at the SE Tech spec, but wanted the 1.4 TSi engine which was only available on XCellence. Once you're in that mindset of going for XCellence you forget about it, so come order time I went for it (despite now being available on SE and SE Tech). Still, you're buying a car you want to your specification so you'll be happy with whatever you choose (otherwise why order it?).

Good choices and good reasoning :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Cheers Etchings
 
1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Top