Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok just ordered the 1.4 tsi excellence dsg in the 150ps, how are people finding it in power, acceleration overtaking power etc as mines 17 weeks til it arrives and no dealer had a 1.4tsi dsg I could test drive

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
I have been driving with the 1.4 engine for nearly 4 years, previously in a Leon. It's one of the best engines I have driven with tremendous low down torque for a small petrol engine. If you are prepared to give it some welly occasionally it will surprise you.

My advice would be to try a Leon i.4 as there is very little difference in the performance and you will get a feel for what to expect when you get your Ateca.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I tried a 1.4 TSI in a Leon and was impressed by the power, silence and refinement. I come from a 2.0 TDI 136 HP

·
Registered
16 Posts
I agree with Fred99. I've been driving this engine for 8 years (Golf V & VI) and I am very pleased with it. Good acceleration from standstill and lots of pull for overtaking while reasonable on consumption. I also ordered a 1.4 TSI, even though the only engine available for a test drive was the 2.0 Diesel (190).

·
Registered
579 Posts
I wanted one of the older Tiguan's for some time. I was only interested in petrol which left me the 1.4 or the 2.0. The 2.0 was not very economical and I didn't even give the 1.4 a chance simply because of it's size. When I heard all the rave reviews for the 1.4 in the Ateca I thought I would give it a go. The garage in Ipswich only had a 1.0 which I found okay but it needed working like my current car. I ended up going to Lowestoft to try the 1.4 and here I am today in the queue. Great engine and suits the car very well. It has the power and grunt of my old 2.0 FSI Audi A3 which always put a smile on my face. 0 - 60mph in 8.5 seconds, 150 bhp, and the same torque as the Ateca 1.6TDI. Works for me. It's also basically a tried and tested engine (some would say old) so I'm not expecting any issues similar to those that have afflicted earlier VAG TSI's. Good decision :D .

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great news, thanks guys I was a little dubious by a small engine in a large car.
Just need to wait the 17 weeks due to the shortage of 1.4tsi engines being produced

·
Registered
240 Posts
I wanted the manual version of the 1.4 but could only test drive the dsg. It felt amazing, great pull when needed and smooth otherwise. It also had a very aggressive rumble when pressing hard on the accelerator pedal. Turbo kicks in pretty fast too

·
Registered
128 Posts
I really like my Ateca 1.4 TSI, but it is nowhere near as lively as my previous 140bhp Skoda Octavia III 1.4 TSI. The 0-60mph for the Ateca is 8.5 sec, whereas for the Skoda it was 8.1, and it shows. The reduced performance and the lack of storage are the only things worse than the Octavia, but I wouldn't swap back. I'm just not quite sure why the engine should be so different, it needs a lot more work with the gear stick to achieve the same performance.

·
Registered
328 Posts
The engine is fun but as pointed out above, it needs working hard to get the best out of it. There is nothing below 1500rpm and if you get the gear wrong you're sat there waiting for the revs to creep up to where you get a bit of torque.

Keep the revs between 2000 and 4000rpm though and there is definitely fun to be had.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's the 7 speed auto dsg so no fear of being in the wrong gear

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Sometimes you feel that you might want to be in a different gear and that's where the paddles come it. I use them quite a lot, it's much better than kickdown.

·
Registered
579 Posts
dasalias said:
I really like my Ateca 1.4 TSI, but it is nowhere near as lively as my previous 140bhp Skoda Octavia III 1.4 TSI. The 0-60mph for the Ateca is 8.5 sec, whereas for the Skoda it was 8.1, and it shows. The reduced performance and the lack of storage are the only things worse than the Octavia, but I wouldn't swap back. I'm just not quite sure why the engine should be so different, it needs a lot more work with the gear stick to achieve the same performance.
As discussed on another thread, I wonder how much of that was down to the fact that your Skoda engine had some mileage under its belt and was nicely loosened up. If my current car is anything to go by, the Ateca will soon catch up. It took around 20,000 miles before it really showed. You would have to thrash the nuts off a car to recognise the difference of 0.4 seconds in a 0-60 sprint and that's not really what the current Ateca is designed for. The FR and the Cupra might be a different matter :D .

David_S said:
The engine is fun but as pointed out above, it needs working hard to get the best out of it. There is nothing below 1500rpm and if you get the gear wrong you're sat there waiting for the revs to creep up to where you get a bit of torque.

Keep the revs between 2000 and 4000rpm though and there is definitely fun to be had.
I got completely bogged down at a roundabout in the 1.0 I test drove first. My other half's new Mini 1.2 3cyl turbo is similar but you adjust accordingly. Couldn't say I noticed getting bogged down in the 1.4 but then that test drive was more rural than town. The design of the TSI is intended to eliminate lag as much as possible but it will always be there to some degree.

·
Registered
163 Posts
My previous car was Leon 1.8 tsi 160hp so I really am able to compare. I love how the DSG works, love the dynamics and acceleration.

I do not feel any weakness - only in higher speeds like 130km/h but that is normal for SUV and that speed.

I have the 4wd dsg so its a bit slower than the 2wd.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts