Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Collected our car yesterday, it was parked along a couple of bays away from a 17 plate in the same colour and spec, the only difference was I received an extra £500 discount for taking the car on the 28th. I can only describe the feeling as 'smug'. :p

Initial impressions?

Larger wheels the poorer the ride? Nope. I'm very impressed with the ride quality on 18", and it's so great to be back driving a car where the wheels instantly respond to the steering wheel - it reminded me of driving a Kuga. 10/10

Infotainment? I had all my favorite radio stations tuned and phone sync'd in 5 mins! I can't tell you how pleased I am coming from what was one of the worst ergonomic infotainment systems I've come across. And the bonus ball? I only have a Motorola G Android yet without the aid of mirrorlink, the system not only displays incoming text msg but also reads them aloud. 10/10

Keyless Entry ? Others do it better. When I leave my other car, I simply shut the door and walk away but in the Ateca, I have to touch the drivers door to lock it. No hardship but not the best of designs.

Cruise I hated cruise in my old car as it was one of the few systems that didn't dis-engage when depressing the clutch. So I was looking forward to driving a VAG product again. I was using cruise, approached a roundabout, changed down a gear to slow the car and... lunge forward! The cruise in the Ateca doesn't dis-engage either. :evil: One of these days I might hear an explaination why anyone would want to change gear in a manual car but keep a constant speed, but until then I'll just put it down to cruise being setup for an automatic, not a manual.

cylinder deactivation Wow. yes I'd read that you couldn't tell when the car was running on 2 cylinder, but I thought that was just poetic licence, surely I'd be able to detect something? Nope. I'm now wondering if it's yet another VAG con and just a message being dispalyed - is it still running on all four? :D It's very impressive.

Fuel economy Coming from one of the most economical diesel units to VAG's 1.4tsi petrol :cry: I keep having to remind myself of the price difference the 2.0tdi commanded and that unexpected £500 saving.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
great post :)

interesting about cruise ~ I drive auto so not affected me but sounds like it doesn't take into account people slowing down through the gears then :(
I'd have just presumed any pedal touch would have cancelled it

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
The CCS should disengage if you touch the brakes. Alternatively, you can toggle the lever back and forward to disengage/resume.

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
You can programme the Kessey via VCDS / ODBELEVEN to lock the doors as you walk away, the downside you may lock someone in it. Another level is mirrors in, on lock, rather than the long action to get the mirrors in. I've kept mine at the factory settings.

I haven't used my ACC much, it hurtled me into a roundabout down a hill behind a car mimicking how they were driving. Turned it off and never used it since. Prefer driving the car myself. I get the beeps when speeding and traffic sign recognisition so I don't need it as speed device to keep my speed down.

But generally you liked it thou.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hi My 2014 Golf had cruise control. When I swopped to a 2016 model it came with ACC which took some time to get used to but I think you may be able to change the cc mode- in the Golf at least. May be worth checking the Ateca manual.

On a separate issue have any prospective purchasers been given any indication by Seat dealers if the new VAG 1.5 petrol engine will be available any time soon in the Ateca ? Not a fan of the Tiguan so hopefully an Ateca towards the end of this year.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I find it useful not disengaging when you press the clutch. It means that for example if I'm approaching a roundabout on a 70mph road I can disengage the CC (simple flick of a button) then as I'm leaving the roundabout flick it back on again and change up the gears as the car accelerates. As soon as I'm at 40mph I can put it in 6th anyway.

·
Registered
32 Posts
David_S said:
I find it useful not disengaging when you press the clutch. It means that for example if I'm approaching a roundabout on a 70mph road I can disengage the CC (simple flick of a button) then as I'm leaving the roundabout flick it back on again and change up the gears as the car accelerates. As soon as I'm at 40mph I can put it in 6th anyway.
I use it exactly like this too David, let the car accelerate back up to speed and i just change gears.

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Nick Bucks said:
Hi My 2014 Golf had cruise control. When I swopped to a 2016 model it came with ACC which took some time to get used to but I think you may be able to change the cc mode- in the Golf at least. May be worth checking the Ateca manual.

On a separate issue have any prospective purchasers been given any indication by Seat dealers if the new VAG 1.5 petrol engine will be available any time soon in the Ateca ? Not a fan of the Tiguan so hopefully an Ateca towards the end of this year.
You can toggle between normal cruise control and full automation in the DSG of changing down etc, stopping and pulling away. That's only the ACC version of the DSG trafic whatever. The ACC in manual will toggle to standard cruise control. I just don't like it. It brings a smile when you use it like Lane Assist but prefer to be in control on both.

Seat are keeping mum about the 1.5 TSI as far as the Ateca is concerned.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Fred99 said:
The CCS should disengage if you touch the brakes. Alternatively, you can toggle the lever back and forward to disengage/resume.
Yes I know that... but why use the brakes when I'm already using the engine/gearbox to brake? Using brakes isn't efficient + kills economy.

Yes you can toggle lever back and forth, but there shouldn't be any need to. It means you take your hand off the wheel to toggle the switch then change gear - wouldn't be necessary if the clutch cancelled cruise (as it does in most other cars and also all my previous VAG products)

There's an argument on a weak engine where changing gear and maintaining speed would be appropriate ( for instance a car that can't maintain 70mph going uphill on a motorway in top gear), but with the torque available on the diesels and 1.4tsi?

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Tell said:
I haven't used my ACC much, it hurtled me into a roundabout down a hill behind a car mimicking how they were driving. Turned it off and never used it since. Prefer driving the car myself. I get the beeps when speeding and traffic sign recognisition so I don't need it as speed device to keep my speed down.
What I have noticed is that no matter how hard I try, that 2 cyl activation doesn't stay on for long when I'm in control but when cruise is in operation, it can stay on 2cyl for quite some time. I've done about 130 miles in the car so far - 44.6mpg from a brand new engine in cold weather.

I had traffic sign recognition as std in my previous car - I wouldn't trust it 100%. That said, looking at the options and seeing the price SEAT charged, I was never going to order it, yet 10mins after collecting the car I was on a motorway which has variable speed and glanced down at the dash to see what particular speed I should be doing... nothing there! Funny how you never miss things until they've gone.

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Golfmk56 said:
Tell said:
What I have noticed is that no matter how hard I try, that 2 cyl activation doesn't stay on for long when I'm in control but when cruise is in operation, it can stay on 2cyl for quite some time. I've done about 130 miles in the car so far - 44.6mpg from a brand new engine in cold weather.

I had traffic sign recognition as std in my previous car - I wouldn't trust it 100%. That said, looking at the options and seeing the price SEAT charged, I was never going to order it, yet 10mins after collecting the car I was on a motorway which has variable speed and glanced down at the dash to see what particular speed I should be doing... nothing there! Funny how you never miss things until they've gone.
I think you will be able to enable that yourself if you got Android device and Odbeleven, that is one of their new apps for the Ateca, 100 units you have enough unit when you buy the Pro version of it. It says the vehicle must have a multi function camera installed. It's a

QK1 With multifunction camera

VIN search on

http://nemiga.com/cat_spares/etka/seat/at/893/9/

Will tell you whether you have it. It's the lane assist camera in the window. That's included in Driver Assistance Pack 1 and above. Trafic signs comes in 2. So if you have 1 you should be able to enable it or via VCDS.

I'd be interested in any success I'm assuming it does the chimes as well.

I've found the system fine. Doesn't always see the signs if they are right out of the field of view but I have satnav running so it's taking those anchored to the road then the dynamically read ones.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Golfmk56 said:
Fred99 said:
Yes I know that... but why use the brakes when I'm already using the engine/gearbox to brake? Using brakes isn't efficient + kills economy.

Yes you can toggle lever back and forth, but there shouldn't be any need to. It means you take your hand off the wheel to toggle the switch then change gear - wouldn't be necessary if the clutch cancelled cruise (as it does in most other cars and also all my previous VAG products)

There's an argument on a weak engine where changing gear and maintaining speed would be appropriate ( for instance a car that can't maintain 70mph going uphill on a motorway in top gear), but with the torque available on the diesels and 1.4tsi?
The switch to cancel the the CC is on top of the indicator stalk. Unless you've got very very small hands there is no need to take your hand off the wheel, just a light flick to the right with either your middle finger or ring finger will work.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
flicking the middle finger on here would be appropriate some days

·
Registered
918 Posts
Saggy said:
flicking the middle finger on here would be appropriate some days
Keep that emoji handy for future use, then :D

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Tell said:
That's included in Driver Assistance Pack 1 and above.
I've found the system fine. Doesn't always see the signs if they are right out of the field of view but I have satnav running so it's taking those anchored to the road then the dynamically read ones.
My old system occasionally was caught out with speed limit signs on the back of lorries. Display would read 60 in 30mph zones :eek: Just have to remember no system is perfect.

I didn't chose Driver Assistance Pack 1, in fact I find most of these new 'safety' systems less safe because of the constant bells and whistles and lights going off which annoys the hell out of me (I hated the system take control of the steering wheel). Had most of these things fitted to my last car, which I eventually switched off. Same with self-parking - it's fun to use the first couple of times but then you find out it takes twice as long if not longer to park the car.

Rear camera is useful, as would the Blind Spot system but I find the Ateca doesn't have many blind spots so don't miss that either.

One thing I definitely do miss is the dipping nearside mirror to stop kerbing the alloys. It was present in all the VW's I owned but apparently it's something that needs configured on the Ateca? I'm not playing around with any system myself as that invalidates the warranty - if folk on here can enable it then the dealership can enable it.

·
Registered
231 Posts
That CC feature is a handy way of working the gears of a 1.0 on a motorway run to avoid spending too long in the same rev band. I was dropping down to 5th to encourage the running in but was impressed with the 1.0.

Found the CC switchgear a bit lightweight compared to the other VW products we've had.

Very impressed with Android Auto but haven't tried Mirror Link yet to compare.

What I can't work out is how the car knows the gap in front has shrunk (warning) when there are only parking sensors on the rear.

Really impressed so far.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Niggly said:
What I can't work out is how the car knows the gap in front has shrunk (warning) when there are only parking sensors on the rear.
isn't that to do with the front assist sensor they all have ~ apparently behind the seat badge on front?

·
Registered
231 Posts
That makes sense. I couldn't work out what that option did on the car interface but I haven't read the manual yet, so was using my VW mindset to set up everything that was intuitive on the longish drive home.

Maybe VCDS can "enhance" the front assist.;)

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
wish something would enhance my front haha :lol:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts