Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From today's Telegraph Q&A Honest John

Slag heaps
Q I might change my VW Tiguan 1.4 petrol manual for a new automatic Tiguan. It was great on a test drive, but you often slag off VW's DSG. If they are so unreliable, why is VW still selling them? FB

A I'm not slagging them off. I am simply relaying complaints from readers whose seven-speed dry-clutch DSGs have failed. VW is quietly switching to wet-clutch DSGs that require fresh fluid every three years - these should be more dependable.
Wikipedia

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct-shift_gearbox

The model is covered in the PDF

seat-mediacenter.com/c/download/53438

The DSG fitted to the Ateca has the code DQ 381-7A (RMS)

That's a very new gear box coming in this summer. Not much said about the 381 online. 380 was wet so it's going to be wet, new so won't worry.

My 12 year DSG is wet and I don't think the oil has ever been changed to my knowledge, so yeah, no problem. The Telegraph use to love VW DSGs but then look against them. 7 speed dry was the ussue.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
The comment about the Tiguan was referring to the 1.4Tsi which (like the Ateca in Europe) has the dry DQ200 box. That's not available on the Ateca in the UK.

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did quiz the Seat Fleet guy at the Silverstone show but either he didn't know about the wet / dry business or wasn't admitting. Since as you say only the 190 4x4 is the only available DSG Ateca in the UK with that seriel number I can relax. Father who was a WWII flying boat flight engineer did say never get a new car with a new model engine in it. I probably broke his rules with the gear box and the 190 engine is pretty new, still it isn't a flying boat.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I'm sure it's a wet box to take the power of a 190 TDi. The dry clutches have been mainly used on lower power units. My current Yeti has a 6 speed wet clutch and is a pleasure to drive.
More of a worry would be the security of the KESSEY system!

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I noticed all the security stuff. The secret is not to leave anything of any value visible. Hopefully the imoboliser doesn't get hacked.

Funny how Honest John turned against the DSG, the Telegraph use to crow how good the 2.0 diesel mated up to the DSG was so good. They have the ump on diesels now. I've been perfectly happy with my DSG wet one. As you know Ernie once you put the power on you don't take it off again when pulling away else it gets in a mess, this is where the curse of the non indicator people is trouble at round abouts.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
ernieb said:
More of a worry would be the security of the KESSEY system!
Apparently it doesn't apply to cars built on the MQB platform such as the Ateca.

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That will be that they are using a more secure key than the MQB platform itself.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Tell said:
That will be that they are using a more secure key than the MQB platform itself.
Let's hope that is correct, the ad thing is that VW have known about these issues for well over a year and have continued to build cars that are vunerable. They seemed to have spent more money and effort trying to delay or stop the publication of the problem rather than deal with it. Having said that they seem to have sorted it for the MBQ based cars, I hope they have worked with the research company who have found the issues to ensure that this is not a sticky plaster but a permanent fix.
Now back onto the DSG, I understand what your saying @Tell at roundabouts but the response of the kick down for overtaking, particularly with the TDi, is excellent as is the ability to instantly switch to manual selection. I use the manual when going down steep hills selecting what I feel is a more comfortable gear. Coupled with the cruise control, adaptive with the Ateca, gives a real pleasure of a drive. Around my location we have virtually all the roads off the main roads now set to 20mph, the cruise just gives the certainty that your not going to speed. The police have managed to book something over 1500 in the first month so every aid to avoid points has to be useful. My understanding is the 7 speed DSG variant is a significant improvement over the 6 speed.

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My 12 year old Altea (nearly) I use to use the cruise control on the speed limits but the button contacts on the stork control get dirty. There is a fix to clean them yourself but never had the courage. So I don't use cruise control now. Hopefully Ateca switches will be better. It was / is a common Altea fault. Variable cruise control will be good.

I use the manual change down on the same bit of road in Germany most years where the traffic backs up as you decend a river bank into town else you end up holding it on the brakes in the wrong gear. Kick down is good for overtaking as you say and not having a catalyst convertor I have the dubious pleasure of making smoke against those people that hog the road. Cyclists riding several abreast etc. I tend not to use sport mode. We will see how I will use the paddles.

I am hoping the front impact protection will stop me running into cars in front of you at roundabouts not that I have yet. Hesitant people to pull away I think is all connected to some peoples practice of not to indicate.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts