Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, i haven't had chance to visit the forum in a while; I have been too busy driving round enjoying my Ateca :D

Can anyone give an answer to something that is both puzzling and concerning me a little - if you are merrily cruising along courtesy of the excellent ACC and the car slows due to the gap between you and the car in front shortening, do your brake lights come on?

I ask because sometimes the deceleration feels quite aggressive and I am always worried about being rear-ended by some idiot who chooses to drive up close and personal to your bumper.

Obviosly when I am driving I have no way of knowing whether the brake lights are on or not.

I have to say though that I do love the ACC now I am used to it. I drove home from Farnborough to Derbyshire a couple of weeks ago and managed to not use my legs at all from the moment I joined the M3 to the moment I left the M1! Admittedly I had left the office at a reasonable time and didn't hit any traffic at all (not even on the M25 :shock: )but it was the most stress free Farnborough to Derbyshire journey I have ever done...and I have done many!!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Let me start by saying that I don't know either, but if it uses the brakes then they would, but they won't if it just backs off the throttle or changes down. In other words, the same as if you were driving it. The first time I used ACC I also thought that the deceleration was aggressive, but as I've got used to it I have come to believe it's all in the mind. Your brain is telling you that you are driving the car but your body gets feedback that tells you you aren't. That makes it feel more aggressive because you aren't expecting it. Give it a couple of weeks and I reckon you won't be noticing it.

As you say, ACC is a great system.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm the same. Haven't used it extensively but got the same feeling. Would be good to know though if the brake lights are turning on or not.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Under certain circumstances, such as a very slow car pulling out in front of you without notice, the car would be braked as strongly as an emergency stop. It is inconceivable that the brake lights would not come on as it would be a serious safety issue.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I believe that the brake lights come on.. every time the car is using brakes to slow down. Shifting gears would not be that intense braking right?!

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
I can't say I've noticed it was changing down rather than braking. I don't think that would slow it down quick enough compared to the brakes.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I can confirm that at least when hill descent control is active, the brake lights come on even though no pedals are beeing pushed, so I imagine the same with ACC when brake is beeing used.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Seriously? This is logical if system does automatic braking without driver using brake pedal it has to turn on brake lights for other drivers behind you. This would violate basic car road regulations if it would be otherwise.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Rastanking said:
Is Adaptive Cruise Control something that can be retro fitted? If so does anyone have any idea how much it would be?
As an added item to the build, it would cost £505. As for retro fitting? I'm not confidant of that being available, as yet anyway.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone. On the basis that no one has actually arse ended me then I am going to assume that the lights come on. My car is manual so it won't be changing down on its own but rather it would be actually braking unless it was merely coming off the throttle.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Stupid question maybe but haven't used the cruise control in the 1k miles to date. Does the ACC just enable itself automatically when you turn the cruise on? If so what is the default distance it uses (I can see the distance adjustment on top of the cruise stalk).

·
Registered
192 Posts
The answer to your first question is yes, it's automatically adaptive and won't run in any other mode. Not sure about the deafault distance but it seems about right to me.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
There are 5 settings for the distance. They are shown on the MFD display when you change them using the button on top of the ACC lever. It seems to default to the middle position. Moving the little lever left or right will change the distance and it is clearly shown on the display. I find that in heavy traffic it is better with the closest setting, otherwise the gap is too large.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts