Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Being a newcomer to AdBlue, I have absolutely no idea what to expect in terms of AdBlue consumption, or, how to determine what kind of driving affects this consumption. I ask only because I am driving a 2.0 Tdi Xcellence 4Motion and have done just over 6500 miles and yet have had to put in more than 5 litres of AdBlue already.

Does this sound 'normal'?

TIA

Patrick

·
Registered
526 Posts
lol - having never owned a diesel car I had to google what ad blue was...... and

you're putting piss into your car!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
579 Posts
I suppose you'll hardly need the toilets at the service station :shock:

·
Registered
526 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
No worries there if it's that cheap. Thought i might ve an extra cost considering the stated 1.5 l per 620 miles

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, I am waiting to collect my Ateca and found out when I went to see it after shipping to the dealer that it had adblue? This was not mentioned in the brochure or by the dealer when the order was placed. My query if any one can help is why does my euro 6 compliant Audi A3 Quattro not have the dreaded adblue but the same vag engine in the Ateca does. Is it a good enough reason to reject the car.

Thanks for any thoughts you may have.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Kalloni said:
Hi, I am waiting to collect my Ateca and found out when I went to see it after shipping to the dealer that it had adblue? This was not mentioned in the brochure or by the dealer when the order was placed. My query if any one can help is why does my euro 6 compliant Audi A3 Quattro not have the dreaded adblue but the same vag engine in the Ateca does. Is it a good enough reason to reject the car.

I wouldn't reject it for that to be honest :D Like people have mentioned in the forum it lasts 6000 miles or so and is cheap. Engine will be tweaked differently to the Audi and is just added to bring emissions down. ;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the response, I have never been a lover of adblue with all its problems for the user and when an engine can meet current requirements by engine management settings, why not use that setting instead of removing it and putting an additive in the mix that the end user has to pay for. The adblue doesn't even give lower emission than the engine management system.
Sorry if it sounds as though I am grumpy, it just infuriates me when things are covered up or done on the cheap for the same price.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Kalloni said:

'
1: Your A3 Quattro will be around 200kg lighter and more aerodynamic than the Ateca hence the need for the addition of AdBlue to meet emission tollerences.
I'm not sure what the exact factors are, but on todays engines any diesel over 131g/km Co2 seems to have AdBlue. (I could well be wrong tho).

2: What's your reason for wanting to reject the car? Unless you specifically said you didn't want AdBlue I can't see the issue.

Problems for the user? it's just part of maintanence regime. Brochures and salesmen don't usually mention this.

You say " which the user has to pay for" :eek: You've just spent £30k on a 4x4 car which will return around 40mpg on fuel that costs £1.16 a litre not to mention around £250 a year in servicing... and you're suggesting £10 or whatever it is every 6000 miles is going to cause financial hardship :lol:

Kalloni said:
Sorry if it sounds as though I am grumpy, it just infuriates me when things are covered up or done on the cheap for the same price.
'
Well you could always shell out £180,000 on a Bentley Bentayga if you don't want things done on the cheap, but before signing on the dotted line I'd have to tell you (because the Bentley salesman or brochure won't) that their engine uses AdBlue as well :lol:

·
Registered
979 Posts
Sorry to say Kalloni but you seemed to have failed miserably on your research before buying a new car ;) I read everything I could find including manuals and video reviews before settling on the Ateca. You should have found pretty quickly that it would have needed Adblue, especially if you looked through previous posts on here. I can't believe you didn't find this until it had actually reached the dealership, after all we all seem to have fairly lengthy waits to get it, with nothing better to do than swat up on it :roll: Could you also explain what you mean by "all its problems for the user "? I don't think anyone has yet reported any actual problems with it on the forum yet.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Harsh kindness - I didn't realise mine would have adblue till I after ordered :)

And Kalloni has only just joined forum so wouldn't have seen posts

Welcome to the forum Kalloni :)
Please don't be put off by these "welcoming" posts :roll:

I myself don't think having adblue is a reason to reject.
I've done 6000 miles before fill up
Even a dealership fill up after my debacle with the work lorry pumps that didn't work on my car was £40
Next time, unless ties in with a service, it will be a DIY from Halfords :)

·
Registered
979 Posts
Yes sorry Kalloni I was very harsh there, appologies but I blame it on the bottle of red I had just downed :oops:

By the way, welcome to the forum ;)

·
Registered
778 Posts
Kalloni said:
Thanks for the response, I have never been a lover of adblue with all its problems for the user and when an engine can meet current requirements by engine management settings, why not use that setting instead of removing it and putting an additive in the mix that the end user has to pay for. The adblue doesn't even give lower emission than the engine management system.
Welcome to the forums!

Unlike the others I didn't realise about AdBlue at first (i.e. it's not immediately obvious), but then again I was purely looking at petrols so wouldn't have thought to read into the details about every diesel engine spec. The sales brochures do say about AdBlue, though it is very much mentioned in passing - prevailing view seems to be very matter of fact.

There's an interesting brief on AdBlue from AutoExpress here: http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-tech/96793/what-is-adblue

Seems like it's to reduce the NOx emissions, which have been gaining bad press for a couple of years now and it's the Euro VI emissions targets that have necessitated its introduction to diesel engines over 1.6L (or that's what the above article implies).

Long story short, a recent change in the market and not unexpected really which is probably why the dealer didn't say anything.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I did not know mine had AdBlue till I did the paper work that's because I originally order a 1.4tsi but could not wait so I took one they had in the show room 2.0 tdi 190

Why are people so worried about AdBlue and its cost it part of modern driving good driver regularly check fluids on there cars
E.g water , screen wash , brake fluid , power steering so what one more .

And if you are worried about a few pence per mile it may add to the running costs then buy a different car and not an SUV

Plus if you

1 - 20 of 20 Posts