Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Really looking forward to getting delivery of the Ateca. My only real concern is about having to add Adblue to the 190 TDI. There appear to be 3 options; get the dealer to do it; do it yourself; or use a HGV DEF pump. I have heard 2 horror stories about owners of other makes running out and having to call for recovery. Has anybody had to top up with Adblue yet?

Has anyone thought about their top up options?

Kam

Ateca Xcellence 190 TDI 4Drive DSG, Rodium Grey, 18", Heated Windscreen.

·
Registered
338 Posts
It advises you to top up when there's about 2000 miles before it's critical. It should NEVER be a problem. It's not like being informed that you've got about 30 miles fuel left in the tank.

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Think you will find a dealer charges you about £40. You get the bottles and do it yourself. Once open it goes off after six months. The cheapest is to pull up at a truck stop that sells it from the pumps, 60p a litres, you don't need much.

You can find them on here, covers continent as well

http://uk.air1.info/en/adblue-supply/adblue-filling/

There is also an Android App and I'm sure iOS

No big deal to do it yourself. It's not corrosive to the hands but is to the body work. You would put gloves on and have a bottle of water ready for any spills, it goes in next to the diesel filler. Follow the cars instructions. You wait 30 seconds I seem to recall before starting up or something.

I suspect a bit panicy first time. Needs to be done at least every 5,000 miles or so. All those YouTube videos of pipes and containers etc you can ignore and just go to a commercial pump. There is one YouTube video of an American refilling at a commercial lorry pump... apparently it's what some Yeti people do.

Here we go with the Adblue / DEF demo (DEF is AdBlue)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
My concern would be flow rate from a commercial vehicle pump?

I'll try take a look at garage on my way home and see if cars can use the lorry filler there

·
Registered
9 Posts
Only thing to watch if DIY is to keep everything clean and avoid getting it on your paintwork. We take it in, in 1000l IBCs for the trucks and don't have a problem . Don't spill it on your lawn though !!!.

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
I think for you Saggy a lorry driver would show you how to do it. The AdBlue dispenser is hidden in a flap like the video. I kept having a look at them in the filling stations on the trip to Germany. To stop accidental use of the filler they put them inside a cover. One type appears to have brushes that the pipe pulls against to clean it.

You don't want to get it on your hands or body work and wash both if they get splashed. You would wear gloves.

The magnets the video is talking about is that some filler nozzles use a flow regular so a lory has a magnetic in the filler mount that releases the amount of fluid that can be pumped. If you hit a magnet one the fill rate would be slowed down. It was Ernie that use to post here said that some Skoda owners on the Skoda site used these pumps. The bottles and pipes are really for when the tank is hidden in the boot, these cars are designed for filling up at pumps not like a weird school chemistry class.

My reasoning is you get plenty of warning that you need to fill up so you would stop off at one of the places, although saying this if you are on a road trip holiday you would have to do it abroad, hence why I was spying them out on route. In the last resort you would have to buy the bottles which are widely available but a more expensive way of doing it.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Tell, the BP station on way home has some specific adblue tanks and pumps separate from rest but very much set up for HGV from the looks of it

I might go in and ask behind counter if can be used by cars too

I work for a firm that has lorries and they will have it in bulk in the workshop but don't feel I should really ask. I'm cheeky but not that cheeky :mrgreen:

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Saggy it will be fine to use it I'm sure. There are car owners about that fill it at these.

Plusmore, yes those are the kits that you can buy to regulate the flow for DIY. They detect when full. The expensive bottles do. The cheap bottles are used with the regular pipe. Another way is to buy an expensive bottle with the regulator, cut it in two and use it like a funnel. Some DIY people do this, it's all Heath Robinson for where the tank is hidden in the boot or you can't access commercial pumps.

The commercial pumps like fuel pumps have a sensor on them that stops flow when full, these valves you have to use for DIY or the more expensive bottles or the cut the bottle in half trick. I decided given that the big bottles go off after six months when open I'd stick to filling stations.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
thinking aloud ........

The shelf life is AdBlue defined in the ISO 22241-3 standards. At constant temperatures up to 30 deg C the product will last a minimum of 12 months; at constant temperatures up to 35 deg C the shelf life is reduced to a minimum of 6 months.

if adblue has a "shelf life" on it and you don't do many miles a year what happens?

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Gets hot in my shed in the summer. It's the opened life when air gets to it is six months thus all those big 10 lite containers of the stuff when opened would go off if you were not doing the mileage on DIY filling.

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/your-guide-to-adblue-what-is-it-who-needs-it-and-how-to-refill-it-104882.html

Six months I read somewhere...

Not here mind you

http://www.commercialmotor.com/buyers-guide/adblue

Answer your question mess up the catalyst I reckon. That talks about stuff above. Shady garages can disable SCR process but the MOT may in due time catch drivers out that do this, once they test the exhaust for NOx. Think at the minute they don't do that, just for particulates.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Interesting read Tel. The Adblue issue still concerns me.

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Well I'll attempt to do the pump fill up. It will be like changing the car light bulbs, trepidation but it will come good. Alternatively you could get the dealer to do it for you. Bottles, pipes and cut dispensers only if you live in the sticks and can't get to an AdBlue commercial pump. All lorries use AdBlue these days.

How reliable SCR is and the maintenance costs is another thing.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.