Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For no particular reason, I've just realised the fixed antenna isn't included in the quoted dimensions for the vehicle and presents some potential 'fun' where garaging the car is concerned!!!

Does anyone know if there are other stub or shark fin antenna options - although I suspect the aerial length is tuned to the receiver. Having become used to sharkfins over the years the aerial length has possibly caught me out!!

Car isn't being built until next week, so nothing to compare, just a tape measure :roll:
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
:shock: Wow your garage is low if that is a concern

·
Registered
188 Posts
As a starting point, you could try taking a suitable side view photo of an Ateca and do a calculation based on measuring the photo and scaling up based on the documented real height of the vehicle? That would give you an indication of whether or not you need to worry?

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Saggy said:
Saggy,

It's the limitation of an up and over door in the up position :) not the height of the garage itself. I didn't explain it very well :oops:

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
PaulT00 said:
As a starting point, you could try taking a suitable side view photo of an Ateca and do a calculation based on measuring the photo and scaling up based on the documented real height of the vehicle? That would give you an indication of whether or not you need to worry?
Thanks Paul,

I'm reckoning the aerial adds 19cm vertical above the 1605mm roof figure? So 1795mm?

Clearance with the lowest parts of the garage door in the up position gives 1830 mm - so about 3.5 cms clearance to what I assume is the tip of the aerial....so if I've got the measurement right it's marginal, but doable.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Well they do say "an inch is as good as a mile"...? :lol:
Depending on which direction you face the car (drive in or reverse in) will affect which direction it's likely to catch in, but the aerial whip is flexible anyway up to a point. Sounds like you should be OK...

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Freddie when he next appears is looking to fit a shark fin one to his car once he gets it since he keeps his car undercover in the Spanish heat and the aeriel would catch the cover.

Not too sure which model you are getting but the satnav aeriel is in the roof with heated windscreen and mobile. The trusty technical manual from the Russian site gives the spec.

Ghiggz put it here

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7WOX8McY4q5S09pVmFlY2h2c00/view

Page 48 on. It's the R11 roof aerial. If it's swapped to a sharks fin it has to be compatible. People will have done it since it's a standard VW part and Seat guys in the past liked to fit shark's fins but I read you have to be careful with ebay ones. It has to be matched.

Cast your eye down this link

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=vw+r11+sharks+fin&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b&gfe_rd=cr&ei=Cl2wWMzCK8PBaK-ysrgI#q=vw+r11+sharks+fin+upgrade

But as said Fred is planning to swap his out for shark fin for his dust sheet sun cover.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
For the moment I'm holding back on changing the antenna. There seems to be some confusion about exactly what is connected to it. If it is only the FM radio, it's a simple change, but it may contain the phone aerial. It's not entirely clear from the diagram. The guys on the Spanish forum have been arguing about it for weeks with no satisfactory outcome.

I actually like the look of the "pigtail" version, so I think I may just unscrew it - it's no a big chore. On the Leon Mk1 you had to unscrew it, the only difference was that it did not detach completely, it is just laid flat.

I am getting the official SEAT cover so it will be interesting to see if they have accounted for this with some sort of pocket. I will find out next week.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Fred99 said:
For the moment I'm holding back on changing the antenna. There seems to be some confusion about exactly what is connected to it. If it is only the FM radio, it's a simple change, but it may contain the phone aerial. It's not entirely clear from the diagram. The guys on the Spanish forum have been arguing about it for weeks with no satisfactory outcome.

I actually like the look of the "pigtail" version, so I think I may just unscrew it - it's no a big chore. On the Leon Mk1 you had to unscrew it, the only difference was that it did not detach completely, it is just laid flat.

I am getting the official SEAT cover so it will be interesting to see if they have accounted for this with some sort of pocket. I will find out next week.
According to the PDF link Tell sent ....
The R11 roof aerial has up to 4 amplifiers on its base:
/ Phone.
/ DAB
/ AM/FM1.
/ GPS (if the windscreen is heated). Otherwise, the
GPS aerial is located on the dash panel.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
I know that's what the diagram indicates, but as I said, there is some discussion about whether the phone is connected if you have the connectivity box. The diagram says that only applies if you have the heater, but some say that may not actually be the case.

The real problem is establishing whether the after market sharks fin versions actually support the phone connection. If the phone antenna is in the base, then it should still work.

I will remove the pigtail and see if it affects the phone signal. If not, then the sharks fin should work. I'm not worried about DAB as I don't have it as there is no DAB service in Spain.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Grahamn said:
Saggy said:
Saggy,

It's the limitation of an up and over door in the up position :) not the height of the garage itself. I didn't explain it very well :oops:
ahhhhhh got it now :mrgreen:
never thought about that
only car I've ever put in the garage was Rosie, my old MX5 when she went into hibernation :)
no issue on height on her !!

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Saggy said:
Grahamn said:
Saggy said:
Saggy,

ahhhhhh got it now :mrgreen:
never thought about that
only car I've ever put in the garage was Rosie, my old MX5 when she went into hibernation :)
no issue on height on her !!
:D No issue with my last two cars either- both 2 door coupe style. Didn't even dawn on me until this morning ( god knows why!!!) Car is being built next week (in theory) so getting there slowly :D

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Fred99 said:
I know that's what the diagram indicates, but as I said, there is some discussion about whether the phone is connected if you have the connectivity box. The diagram says that only applies if you have the heater, but some say that may not actually be the case.

The real problem is establishing whether the after market sharks fin versions actually support the phone connection. If the phone antenna is in the base, then it should still work.

I will remove the pigtail and see if it affects the phone signal. If not, then the sharks fin should work. I'm not worried about DAB as I don't have it as there is no DAB service in Spain.
Graham and Fred

Reading a bit more and coming back to the thread the Golf Mk7s came with shark fins so all things being equal given its really a pumped up Golf Mk7 you would think you could source that and fit.

This thread has some Mk7 info on it

http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16561

The Dario post #13 is worth looking at and the Web site link.

http://www.cars-equipment.com/www/en/shop/roof-antenna-5/oem-5q0035507c-5fq-gps-gsm-webasto/

Part # 5Q0035507C5FQ

I'm sure you just leave the WEBASTO disconnected. You would expect to find those colours on R12 aerial and move them over. Possibly have a look at the underside of the R12 before ordering it.

What we need is the SSP for the Golf Mk7 and check the boxes, but given its all VW standard equipment I can't see it will be different just the aeriel.

All is not lost the Golf Mk7 community has put this out, I've used it before

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/vwqcwx32urcs1ol/AADxbgfxZyxk859hwMbhPNIEa?dl=0

You want SSP 518, page 24. SSP 519 covers the MOST bus that the Ateca doesn't use this, so part I of the manual is the relevant one. The infotainment unit is essentially the same pin out MIB2.

The Dropbox was from here

http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26886

I reckon you just transfer the wires over and it's not really important where the signals come from to the unit, as long as you do a cable to cable transfer in the roof between new and old aeriels. So I reckon one would stick to a proper VW OEM as per that link. You know I'm a risk taker.... I will be interested to hear whether anybody does it. I'm fine with my R12.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
I certainly won't be spending that sort of money and have no intention of changing the unit entirely.

I am slightly interested in the ones which merely stick on over the old unit and that is where the problem may lie, as you do not have any access to the cables, just the screw connector for the pigstail.

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
You have to get into the lining to do the shark fin, I can see the advantage of swapping for a stuby. The GPS aerial will still be in the black surround base for people with the heated windscreen like me so that stays in tack.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
No, the shark fins I have seen fit over the top of the old base unit. All you have to do is connect them to the base of the aerial where you have removed the pigtail. Then they just stick onto the roof. As I said, I am not about to mess around with the roof lining.

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
They must be cheat ones not the Golf parts. The R12 unit you must take off from underneath and bolt on the Golf shark fin in. There isn't some side twisting action that takes the base off is there... no it's the Dario picture

http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16561

1 - 18 of 18 Posts