Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the final few days before finally collecting my Ateca. I'm working through the list of jobs:
  • Car insurance is switched over (admin fee and change of premium, an additional £96)
  • Parking permit for at home (change of vehicle, £15)

Then, the additional extras. As I'm buying on a PCP I need to ensure that I'm covered:
GAP insurance
I've decided not to use the Seat plan. This costs £400 (seems to be fixed for the Ateca). I've decided to use gapinsurance123.co.uk (as recommended by many of you). This is almost half the price of that by Seat (£209, for four years).

Service Plan
I've decided to opt for the three year plan, £498. Interestingly, the four year service is a major service, on the fixed price that Seat do, I/we all have a nice £279 bill to look forward to, should we all still own our Ateca then (I know I shall).

My accessories
I know these are purely optional and about making each vehicle unique for our own taste. The options I've selected are:
  • Side door mouldings, £230
  • Front grille moulding, £125
  • Fog light moulding, £180
  • Rear bumper protective moulding, £125
Accessories total: £660

My additional costs to get my Ateca on the road, Total: £ 1478 :oops: :eek:

These are the things we tend to forget about when getting caught up in buying a new car!

·
Registered
188 Posts
It's not a cheap game, this new car lark...
I went for GAP (the SEAT plan, I know it's more expensive but having everything under one roof avoids fun and games with arguments as to who is responsible), and also signed up for the service plan. The latter is a direct debit for 4 years at £20 a month and was the middle 'servicing and maintenance' option on offer as I don't expect to do enough mileage to justify the extra cost of including tyres in the plan. Odd that they make a distinction between servicing and maintenance, this option apparently means that all consumables are covered as well as the cost of labour etc, up to and including the 4 year major service which involves work on the 4WD system etc. The finance term is 4 years (although I went for the 5 year warranty option) and as I don't know if we'll be keeping it or part-exing it at the end of that period I wanted to ensure that everything is as painless as possible for as long as possible. At least as long as you don't count the big chunk of wonga coming out of the bank account every month! :lol:

·
Registered
579 Posts
I was fortunate that my other half has just picked up a new Mini so I know how the GAP insurance works. I got 'Return to Invoice' for £165 with 'GAP Insurance' based on a invoice of £16,000. I need to do some homework for the upcoming Ateca.

Funny you should mention the big chunk of wonga each month. That put me off PCP for a long time until it finally dawned on me that I was already paying it each month anyway. My current car is a Mitsubishi ASX3. I paid £13,500 through a main dealer (it was 18 months old) and, by the time I trade it in around June time, I would have lost around £7,000 over three years in depreciation. That's £194 per month. I would normally repeat this cycle every few years so the loss was guaranteed. My new Xcellence with extras is going to cost me £289 per month. That means I only have to find £95 and that's even before I consider the repairs, MOT's, AA/RAC, etc. that I no longer have. To me, moving to the Ateca is not really costing me much more at all. Once you reconcile it in your head, it's almost a no-brainer unless you want to run an old banger and pay the bills.

Now, I realise I have put down £3,000 as a deposit, however, so long as you stay on a PCP for the long term, and the numbers work out okay, that deposit will get diluted over the coming years to the point it disappears. Remember it's in the dealers interest to make these PCP's work because he wants you back for repeat business. Interestingly, I mentioned the cost of the extended warranty and service plan for the fourth year of the deal and the dealer said - why bother. Although I will have a four year plan, he plans to get me into a new car on roughly the same payment after three years when the finance / car value numbers stack up. I can see what he means. It also got me thinking that by taking out a four year plan, but technically running it in three year cycles, would the dealers proposal allow me to keep paying lower monthly costs than I would have done under a three year plan?. That one needs a calculator!.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I've just recently been made aware of GAP insurance.. had never heard of it before.

Do you need it for PCH?

·
Registered
283 Posts
You potentially need gap insurance for any kind of formal finance to cover any potential gap between outstanding finance and the value that insurance pay in the event of a write off. I never take finance so never see the point in gap insurance.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I collect my Ateca on 1 April and I've recently changed my insurance ready for when I collect it. My premium actually reduced despite incurring a £20 admin fee!

They did advise me to take out Gap insurance because they only offer market value on vehicles over £25,000! I have just taken my Gap insurance out with ALA (https://www.ala.co.uk) and used the discount code PISTON12 to get a 12% discount.

I'm also taking out the 3 year service plan, I've extended the warranty to 5 years and taken out the tyre insurance my dealer offered as well as buying £1,700 worth of accessories!

New cars can be very expensive when you get carried away!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts