Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.
Probably, like me, you didn´t got the Sat Nav option, but the Full Link in order to connect your maps App to the car´s stereo.

For me, having an offline maps system offers almost no value, as traffic changes constantly. So I prefer Apps with live traffic, like Apple Maps, Google Maps or Waze.

I´m an iOS user, but the Apple maps are far from being accurate. If you fancy Apple Maps… connecting to the stereo is a smooth as warm butter. By far the best connectivity experience.

But, if you, like me, prefer Google Maps or Waze then the things get trick.
Yes they tell you any Android device from 5.0 onwards will work.. but that's FAR from the truth.

More, Waze is not yet available (some rumours say it will be on the next android OS version… 8?).

Go… focusing on having Google Maps, on an Android Device connected to the car´s stereo.

I will post my experiences here, please do the same, so we can build a comprehensive list of supported Android devices.

Model: Samsung S6
Cable: Non-Standard
Result: Fails to connect
Comment: It looks the cable might not be the best. I suggest using the cable that came with the phone or other certified

Model: BQ Aquaris A4.5
Cable: OEM
Result: Connect with success!
Comment: Really good budget solution. Might not be compatible with future Android upgrades, so If Waze is coming it might fall short.

Model: OnePlus 3T
Comment: No sweat. It's a good phone that might support Android upgrades, and thus supporting Waze in the future. Sits midway between a budget phone and a flagship Android.

Model: Huawei P8 Lite
Cable: Original
Comment: It looks most Huawei phones are not supported. P9 and P9 Lite are under investigation, so probably a firmware update might solve it.

Model: Samsung Galaxy TAB S2
Comment: No mirrorlink. Amperage on the USB port cant support/maintain the tablet´s battery charge.

Cheers,
A2day

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Cable: Original
Comment: It looks most Huawei phones are not supported. P9 and P9 Lite are under investigation, so probably a firmware update might solve it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok. So we will included it on the list:

Model: Samsung S6
Comment: Supports Android Auto AND MirrorLink.

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
In defence of the built in system you do get TMC which it uses for automatic re routing or warning.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traffic_message_channel

TMC is only as good as the data that is broadcast I know people diss that. Google is good since it has real-time movements gleaned from other Google Map user automatic tracking. Negative side you need a data connection and these systems can jump roads whilst built in systems don't since they have access to the wheel rotations when the signal is lost. You can get badly misdirected when external satnav jumps around in towns which you won't get on the built in systems.

I tend to think that Android Auto etc is fine on commuter routes if you have a general knowledge of where you are and want to skip trafic issues but if you haven't a clue of the area you are on balance better with the built in car system. When I'm navigating I use both.

The other thing to bear in mind is that the car's USB is only 1amp charging so if your device is hungry on power running satnav it won't charge up and may run down, that's true even if you aren't running satnav and use the built in ports.

Galaxy Tab S2 will run the Android Auto App but doesn't support MirrorLink and is on a USB cable - they won't work on wireless charging and my car in any case was misbuilt so doesn't have it. Does require 2 amp power input to recharge if you are using it, so basically the cars USB cable for Android Auto doesn't provide a very good solution if you want to get it back up to 100 percent charge.

I'm strong supporter of built in car systems but use Google Maps before setting off and as said when I wearing my navigator hat I run all systems.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Perhaps you could start a new thread with Pro and Cons of Built in sat nav, to guide who is buying a new car. And we leave this thread for the Android Auto compatibility. Agree? :)
(I'm eager to answer to your points...) ;)

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
I'm sure you noticed that I added the Galaxy Tab S2 to your list and noted the design fault of the 1amp usb to power devices that require 2 amp power. Wireless charging can't be used with Android Auto running.... I did wonder why you were asking about cables since you can only use it that way.... I know it's 1amp since my tablet tells me when it's plugged into a sub standard 1amp charger. The manual for the Ateca doesn't tell you the output on the socket. This came up with Freddie's Android Auto dreams or was it iPhone, either way the sockets output will be low for newer devices that require 2 amp. People need to be aware of that one.

I'd say any device that needs a 2 amp charger when plugged in isn't really suitable for long use navigation. I know that since my tablets stuck at 60 percent charge on 3.5 hour drive the other day. I couldn't be bothered to rummage for the 2amp charger that was in the driver seat lower storage.

On navigation people know my views on that. I travel continents with it, the external ones get you lost, but to cover all bases have them all turned on like Korean taxi drivers do which is what I do when I'm navigating, not when driving :).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Roger that.
Not all countries have TMC (and the ones who have its questionable the update rate and accuracy). Here I haven´t, so the built-in Nav is basically pointless. I had pleanty of built in Nav, from the MFD, MFD2 (both on Seat Altea) and the Garmin (on the Ibiza). Back in the days where traffic was not an option it worked fine... but with the advent of App based (mobile data depended) systems the scale tipped.
Totally respect the offline option. Me too rely on those system as a backup. Not long ago I was driving in the middle east.. and google maps was not an option! :)

The reason for asking which cable, is that some (if not most) of the reported malfunctions are derived from using non-certified cables.

As for the amperage, probabilistically I though most people used smartphones and not tablets to connect to their Sat Nav. I might be wrong on that assumption! :)

Model: Samsung Galaxy TAB S2
Comment: No mirrorlink. Amperage on the USB port cant support/maintain the tablet´s battery charge.

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Middle East, Google, I did digitise swathes of roads into Jordan that were missing on Google Maps into Openstreet. South wasn't digitised in Google, the north was, reverse on Openstreet. I do my Openstreet bit of putting roads, features and footpaths on, correct stuff. Remove local fake premises from Google maps which irritate me :). Google maps is looking alot cleaner where I live now :).

Newer bigger phones use 2 amp chargers, the phablet type. Best to check that for anyone who's planning to use the built in USB.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Model: Samsung Galaxy Note 4
Comment: Mirrorlink and Android Auto both work. Charges phone whilst in use.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Model: LG G4
Cable: third party
Comment: Mirrorlink and Android Auto both work. Charges phone whilst in use.

·
Registered
189 Posts
My S7 connected fine to start with but is starting to have some break-up of image, and the phone doesn't like it when I manually exit AA. It's not an OEM lead, but I think it's a glitch on the phone's part. Also, wireless charging does seem to at least attempt to kick in while USB connected, and certainly charges other suitable phones in the car, which might have caused a bit of overheating with my phone :-/

AA has installed in my S4 but I haven't tested it in the car as yet, that phone doesn't have a SIM and I was just curious, in case the other half needed a back-up as we don't have our SD cards yet and he has a Windows phone.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Cable: Wsken (form Aliexpress)
Result: Android Auto - Works, MirrorLink - Don't work
Comment: Android 7

Model: Samsung S5 mini duos
Cable: Wsken (form Aliexpress)
Result: Android Auto - Works, MirrorLink - Not tested
Comment: Android 6

·
Registered
163 Posts
S7 Edge.

Waze for Android Auto should be available soon.

Mirrorlink - all apps work. Finally my Mirrorlink works. I was able to run all apps - Waze, Youtube, Google Maps... the only issue is when I want to switch apps I have to disconnect the cable. As this is not normally supported - I have to use 2 apps to get this work.

I will post full instructions once I find some time.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Google Pixel works very well.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact - did work fine and now I can't get the system to pick the bloody phone up no matter what cable I use!

·
Registered
132 Posts
mike22 said:
S7 Edge.

Mirrorlink - all apps work. Finally my Mirrorlink works. I was able to run all apps - Waze, Youtube, Google Maps... the only issue is when I want to switch apps I have to disconnect the cable. As this is not normally supported - I have to use 2 apps to get this work.

Hi mike22. Sounds like you might be using some sort of arrangement to give you a genuine mirror? That's what I was expecting from the factory settings and was disappointed to find it only work on a limited number of basic apps :(

·
Registered
163 Posts
Phosphoric said:
mike22 said:
S7 Edge.

Hi mike22. Sounds like you might be using some sort of arrangement to give you a genuine mirror? That's what I was expecting from the factory settings and was disappointed to find it only work on a limited number of basic apps :(
Hi, using 2 apps to make it work and it is not the best solution as I have to disconnect the phone when switching apps. Exactly - this should have been functioning without any tweeks.

Android auto and Mirrorlink both need a lot of work to be done.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.