Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How can I find out...? Other than phoning every Seat dealer?

·
Registered
116 Posts
I guess the easiest place to look would be Autotrader.co.uk. If you search for Seat Ateca with distance of National from your postcode, then remove the option of New cars, so that you are just looking for nearly new or used cars, there are currently 72 cars available. Now some may be sold already and this will not cover everywhere, but it's a good starting point.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thinking of cancelling my order (unconfirmed week 31) and going for a new one... there is a 1.4 excellence available at a dealer in England which has most of the bits I wanted.. no spare wheel and no towbar and the awful big wheels.... just waiting for price and bit more details.

Any idea if I am allowed to cancel without losing deposit or anything?

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
And this is Rhodium gray not Nevada white :(

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Speak to your dealer

They might be able to source you a stock car now (they have access to a central database) and if they do would be less likely to make you pay a cancellation charge

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ah well.. that did not pan out. They unwilling to budge on mrrp and I am not that stupid. Also had the massive 19" wheels ...

·
Registered
778 Posts
missy said:
Thinking of cancelling my order (unconfirmed week 31) and going for a new one... there is a 1.4 excellence available at a dealer in England which has most of the bits I wanted.. no spare wheel and no towbar and the awful big wheels.... just waiting for price and bit more details.

Any idea if I am allowed to cancel without losing deposit or anything?
It depends on the contract you signed and if they can source anything else which you buy through them. Talk to them first before deciding to cancel.

Must admit, looking at the news recently I checked my contract - no explicit mention of forfeiture of deposit, instead it lists things like if I cancel then they hold deposit until they sell the vehicle, deduct their resonable costs in doing so (including storage charge) then give me the remainder - if the costs are higher than the deposit I have to pay them! (Little draconian). I do however have a cancellation clause as well - to trigger it I have to wait until the estimated date (end of June :() then wait 21 days and give them written notice to produce the car within a further 14 days after which I can cancel without penalty and full refund of deposit.

I still reckon you stand a good chance of getting it much earlier than week 31. First port of call though is the dealer - see what they can do for you. If you do decide to cancel and try to buy from stock elsewhere then check the different dealers - a few dealers from large groups tend to buy stock of certain cars themselves so not all dealers will have cars in-stock. The ones I ordered my car from didn't have any in stock, but I wanted my factory fit options so didn't matter (at the time).

I suspect that right this moment you will struggle to buy any in-stock cars (from new) as we've only just hit the new reg plate period. Give it another 2-4 weeks and that may change as the sales start to tail off.

Other question is, what was the estimated delivery date your dealers gave when you signed the contract? Should be detailed there. That's the key date to work with if trying to cancel and not pay charges.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I ordered my car at the beginning of Feb. It's a 1.4 tsi manual Xcellence, with no options. Originally it was going to be end of May or beginning of June before it arrived. Have just been told it arrived in the UK on Monday and should be ready end of next week. So that's about 7 weeks quicker than the original estimate.

I'm genuinely surprised by this due to the horror stories so many have had about long waiting times. But as others have suggested, the estimates do seem t o come down quite quickly.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Firstly, if you are intending to cancel the order, you need to check the contract you signed. Contracts have to be reasonable otherwise they can be challenged for unreasonableness. It's not just a simple case of...."you signed for this or that, so your stuck with it", type of scenario.

For example, if they gave you a date and then informed you a short time later that it had increased, you have the right to state that you're either happy or unhappy with that. That is the first point of complaint, if you weren't happy, you inform them and they should register that. If they come back again with an even later date, it could be deemed to be unreasonable and they should offer you alternatives. That is the second point of complaint. Now if you have made a complaint at each of these points they should be asking you if you wish to cancel the order or continue.

Anything can be put into a contract, it doesn't mean that it will stand the test in court if challenged.

The crucial part is that you have to make a complaint before deciding to pull out of the contract.

So my advice would be to make a formal complaint explaining that you find it unreasonable to wait such a long period of time for something that you had agreed (together, a contract is between you and the dealer) would arrive much earlier and you now find it impractical to wait such a period of time that they have given you. You explain that unless the delivery time is shortened, you have no alternative but to cancel the contract and get a full deposit refund. If you have already complained about extending the delivery time (see above), you mention that as well.

You should send copies to both the dealership manager and the head office of the dealership (if it's nationwide for instance).

·
Registered
160 Posts
jimbrimble said:
I ordered my car at the beginning of Feb. It's a 1.4 tsi manual Xcellence, with no options. Originally it was going to be end of May or beginning of June before it arrived. Have just been told it arrived in the UK on Monday and should be ready end of next week. So that's about 7 weeks quicker than the original estimate.

I'm genuinely surprised by this due to the horror stories so many have had about long waiting times. But as others have suggested, the estimates do seem t o come down quite quickly.
I also ordered mine on 1st Feb and have been told it's still at Emden awaiting shipping but should be at the dealership no later than week commencing 17th April.

The original estimated delivery date given at the time of ordering was July.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have asked dealer some questions about cancellation so I know where they are coming from. I will wait for that and review, perhaps wait 4 more weeks max to get to know for sure if it is still staying at week 31 ish.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Sounds like a bit too much info going on here.

1. Why do you want to cancel? Am i correct in saying it's because u want another car at another dealership? That's no grounds to cancel. The garage gave you an Estimated delivery date which u agreed to. They haven't advised any differently so what's your problem?

2. Regarding cancellation, well anyone can cancel a contract but there may be a penalty - only your contract / garage can tell you that. That of course is assuming you signed the contract at the dealership? If you gave the go ahead over the phone or signed a contract sent to you via the internet then you're covered by the distance selling act and have a set time to cancel without penalty.

3. You mention the car you purchased was at list price? I'm afraid you've only yourself to blame if you think that's a poor deal. There's enough info available these days on how to shop around for the best deal. Why should the dealer loose out because of your error?

You were happy when you signed the deal, nothing has changed since then, so what's your problem?

EDIT: in answer to your question, don't know how other dealerships work but I ordered a car which was already on the system to be built for Arnold Clark. When I asked if I could upgrade, they simply picked another car already on the system. Best idea if you want a car sooner is simply to call around. I was getting different info even within the same chain - every dealership appears to be independent of each other so phone different dealerships within the same group.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Golfmk56 said:
Sounds like a bit too much info going on here.

1. Why do you want to cancel? Am i correct in saying it's because u want another car at another dealership? That's no grounds to cancel. The garage gave you an Estimated delivery date which u agreed to. They haven't advised any differently so what's your problem?

2. Regarding cancellation, well anyone can cancel a contract but there may be a penalty - only your contract / garage can tell you that. That of course is assuming you signed the contract at the dealership? If you gave the go ahead over the phone or signed a contract sent to you via the internet then you're covered by the distance selling act and have a set time to cancel without penalty.

3. You mention the car you purchased was at list price? I'm afraid you've only yourself to blame if you think that's a poor deal. There's enough info available these days on how to shop around for the best deal. Why should the dealer loose out because of your error?

You were happy when you signed the deal, nothing has changed since then, so what's your problem?
The waiting time missy has been given at present seems much longer than dealers are suggesting at point of order... I believe that's why they are considering cancelling, I would be of the same mindset in their position, you sound more like a salesman than a customer, in this day and age people are refunded for a lot less, and in this case nothing has been built and no money has yet been exchanged, it's just a line of text on a computer system so what's the problem???

1 - 13 of 13 Posts