Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As per title, anyone used the fog lights yet??

Its been mega bad foggy here today/tonight, we talking only 10-15m visibility...
The wife just got in from work in the car, said she put both sets of fog lights on for the trip home, and all the way home she was getting a regular beep (like the no seat belt beep) every few mins, with "Turn off rear fog lights" coming up on the dash mini display..

Whats that all about?
When its foggy, you put on the fog lights on if you want..
you don't want a constant beeping/error message telling you to turn them off again the entire journey!!
Why would it be doing that??

Edit
Just went out myself, and it appears to do it every time you go above 40.
Is it thinking if you are doing 40 then it can't be 'that' foggy??

·
Registered
52 Posts
Same thing happened to me this morning although warning came on at even lower speeds (under 30mph).

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
I said Rebecca will play tricks on you.

Probably a programming bug. I have them onto back out of a drive but after that I put them off.

I don't think they have fog in Spain.... it's not that the wipers were running so it's assumed that rain isn't fog so you were a naughty boy using them in rain ?. Does yours have rain sensors ?. Not the rain sensors saying it's raining so you shouldn't have your fogs on ?. Another possibility.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Tell said:
I said Rebecca will play tricks on you.

Probably a programming bug. I have them onto back out of a drive but after that I put them off.

I don't think they have fog in Spain.... it's not that the wipers were running so it's assumed that rain isn't fog so you were a naughty boy using them in rain ?. Does yours have rain sensors ?. Not the rain sensors saying it's raining so you shouldn't have your fogs on ?. Another possibility.
I believe it's smog in the big smoke?

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
We don't have smog round here, last time was in Brighton I remember. Banks of nice fog drifting in from Essex.

I wouldn't be surprised it isn't something to do with rain sensors so await to hear whether these cars have them without ploughing threw the brochures online to check.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Tell said:
We don't have smog round here, last time was in Brighton I remember. Banks of nice fog drifting in from Essex.

I wouldn't be surprised it isn't something to do with rain sensors so await to hear whether these cars have them without ploughing threw the brochures online to check.
Oh, are you a regular in Brighton? It is ' London by the sea' after all!

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Only when I was a student and working down there..... and revisiting the campus. Think the bookshop is now "Eats" we had a refectory in my day. I do the library steps and remember the student demos. The buildings have memories. The research unit were I worked has decanted to a nice new building. Older and wiser. I do, do the sea front, had a look at my first lodging again in Kemptown, Devil **** etc. I haven't been back to the lanes. The distances I walked from Kemptown to Brighton Station looks a bit long now....

Fog lights any one ?.

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Back to the Fog then.

Looks like my theory on the rain sensor is wrong since the Ghiggz Ateca SE doesn't have one according to the spec. Goodbye Golf does on the Xcellence.

Theory 2, it decided the wipers were just used too often so it decided it was raining and it wasn't foggy ?. Possible one or expects some wiper action if the fog lights are on ?. (the reverse)

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You're right Tell I don't have auto wipers on mine, and they were not on either, it was freezing fog so it was kinda dry.. never needed them on..
I sped up and down and did a 3-4 mile drive to collect the daughter, and every time it hit 40 the message came up...

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
I'm looking on the German board but haven't stumbled on anything yet. Early days though.

·
Registered
338 Posts
See Highway Code rule 226. You can use fog lights if visability is seriously reduced. If you travel at 40mph, visabilty is certainly not seriously reduced. The car has detected your speed and is advising you to turn off the fog lights and prevent you from breaking the law. Usually, drivers forget they have them on and dazzle other drivers unnecessarily. This in my view, is a good and sensible addition.

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
I've concluded searching the German board today and no, not a word, so I think Leon is right, the assumption would be if you are going over 40MPH it's illegal, there is probably a German law that it's using I guess which is why they aren't bothered :).

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Ah well try this for driving in fog in Germany

http://www.euroadlegal.co.uk/country/germany.html

With a visual range of less than 50m through fog, rain or snow, fog lights have to be switched on and a speed limit of 50kph applies to all vehicles.
So that's 31 MPH, so I reckon it should have been moaning a bit earlier than 40 MPH if it was programmed to German law which it probably is but gives you a margin before retribution.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I had them on a long run up the A1 recently thick fog and reduced vis and every time a car pulled out behind me it told me to turn the rear fog light off i pressume to prevent dazzling the guy behind, nothing worse than following a car with its rear fog on so great idea! Didnt have any beeps to turn the front ones off though! Then again i wasnt below 40 much

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
In Germany there are poles on the side of the road at 25 metres and that's where they get the 50 metres from so I read. Then you have to have your fogs on if you can't see that distance, then you have to drive below 50kph. Apparently German drivers get very aggressive to anyone who breaks these rules, flashing them etc. That was on an expat board.

Do you think you had your audio warning turned off Dunn perhaps so you just got the message pane. It seems from what you said it was either using the rear mirror or some of your "extras" to sense the car coming past.

I think we got down to the bottom of what the car is doing thou. It's a clever car....

·
Registered
280 Posts
I don't want to stray 'off-topic' here, but what and where are these German sites or Forums I keep seeing mentioned on here please?

I assume they are in English however, as my knowledge of the German language is virtually non-existent! ;)

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
In German, translation is useful but it doesn't always work... :). Since they got their cars before us etc and they are quite technically minded...

Ateca-Forum.de

·
Registered
280 Posts
Tell said:
In German, translation is useful but it doesn't always work... :). Since they got their cars before us etc and they are quite technically minded...

Ateca-Forum.de
Thanks... I see what you mean!

One thread is actually entitled "Beautiful Nicholas to you all", but I think I get the message! ;)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.