Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a very long wait, my Ateca arrived two days ago. As I am one of very few forum members having taken delivery of a Petrol/DSG version (due to the fact that they have been available in Spain from launch) I thought it might be useful to post my early impressions, particularly with regard to the combination of the turbo petrol engine in combination with the DSG box.

Collection.

It took three weeks for it to arrive at the dealers. That's about the same as deliveries in the UK, mainly because it also comes with a ship all the way from the nearest port which is in Slovenia in the northern Adriatic. The dealer managed to turn it round in 24 hours, which was a bonus. The only problems identified on delivery was the lack of the Nav SD card which the dealer explained is now only sent by post to the dealer rather than risk losing it if is was factory fitted. It should appear in a day or so. The only other fault I could find on a closer inspection later was a jammed centre rear seatbelt.

I am very pleased with the body accessories, I had been thinking about the full frontal off road grill, but as it was exceedingly expensive I decided on the basic insert which does finish off well. When I see the big grill in the flesh, I might reconsider. The dealer gave me a 10% discount on the parts with free fitting (which is not included in the price in Spain). Overall the discounts were reasonable here. By taking out the minimum finance deal (€10000), the total discount came to about €6000 if you include the 4 years free servicing and recovery plus an extra 2 year warranty. That equates to a net price of about £25000 for a reasonably well specified version.

I am a bit disappointed with the storage (apart from the generous boot). The single under seat drawer is a joke as it is tiny and only has room for two reflective vests. The glove box is near to useless and only takes a few items due to the top section holding the CD player. I regret not ordering the raised boot floor. I had the repair kit on my Leon which allowed a reasonable volume packed around it. With the spare and the SEAT sound woofer, there is only room for a few flat shopping bags. At least the triangles have their own storage space at the top side of the boot.

I love the seats. The Sports seats that come with the Xcellence trip are as good as most sports cars and the Alcantara trim is great, but I really don't understand why it is €104 extra for black rather than brown. Sorry if you guys in the UK don't like the leather!

Driving experience.

As I had a mk3 Leon with the 140PS non ACT engine, it was easy to make a comparison. The extra power offsets the extra weight and I cannot find any significant difference. The acceleration is improved off the line with the DSG box which is superb. As I have said on another thread, there is no delay at all in getting away from a temporary stop where the Start/Stop system has activated.

The Autohold and Parking brake are brilliant. They require no driver intervention at all and set themselves and release with no action from the driver. With the combination of the DSG, especially in traffic with constant stop/starts makes driving so much better.

I always thought that the Leon was one of the best handling cars that I have driven and was concerned that the extra bulk of the Ateca would compromise that. I was happy to find that there is little or no difference, if there is, you would need to be trying very hard to find the limits!

I am happy with the general noise level and it seems quieter than the Leon, although there is some wind noise from the mirrors which was not apparent on the Leon. It may be a problem that needs a dealer tweak. Road noise is fine. The car was delivered with Bridgestone Turanzas 215/50/18. The engine is really quiet and on the motorway is not noticeable. The change to two cylinders is impossible to spot, you only know by the little "Eco" icon that appears in the MFD. In Eco mode, on even a slight downhill stretch, the engine goes into neutral and the only way you would know is by the rev counter showing tick over revs. Incidentally, it doesn't happen if you are using Cruise Control. Screaming down a hill at 80mph with the engine in neutral is a bit spooky!

Driver Assist Systems.

The ACC is nothing short of amazing. It is much easier to use compared to the basic system as it has its own lever below the indicator stalk which makes it easy to control the set speed. I did a 150 mile motorway trip yesterday and set the speed at about 80mph. If someone pulled out in front of me it immediately slowed down and kept a safe distance. When the road cleared it accelerated hard back to the set speed and on a few occasions changed down a gear. It was a revelation how it made driving in traffic so relaxed. The traffic was just slow and at intermittent speeds with no stops so I could not experience it actually stopping and restarting again. I think I need a few trips to the M25 to experience that.

The Lane Assist also contributed to the experience. It worked for about 90% of the time and only switched out on the tighter bends (Spanish motorways are not always straight as they have to go round mountains!) it's hardly noticeable, although it doesn't keep a true middle of the road course but tends to move around within the constraints of the white lines. It takes some getting used to driving at 80mph round a bend and watching it approach the Armco before correcting! Once you gain confidence in it, it's fine. It worried my wife in the passenger seat more than it worried me.

After I had my first test drive on 19" wheels I said in a post at the time that the steering felt a bit odd, like it was tram-lining. Having tried lane Assist, I now realise that the test vehicle must have activated Lane Assist as this gives exactly the same feel when you cross a white line. It warns you by a slight wobble in the wheel if you try to drive outside the lane (unless you give a turn signal, in which case it doesn't interfere).

The 360 cameras are great and really useful in tight situations. I haven't had a chance to try Park Assist yet - that's a job for the weekend in a quiet car park.

The LED lights are great and it seems really odd not to have to worry about dipping them when needed. They react very well to approaching traffic and are very sensitive to rear lights ahead of you. With the Auto On function, it is probable that you may never have to control them in any way at all.

Infotainment System.

Due to a lack of an SD card, I can't comment on the Nav system, but the SEAT Sound system is good. I can't say I agree with Tell's finding about the centre speaker, it all sounds fine to me and the bass from the woofer is pretty good. I use an iPhone so use CarPlay. It's OK, but the apps are a bit limited. TuneIn Radio is useful to get BBC radio in the depths of Southern Spain. I subscribe to iTunes Music and that works well, especially when you control it by voice with Siri. It's good to be able to display your own photos as a screensaver when you don't need to use the screen for something else.

I have attached some photos and will add some more after I have given it a decent waxing also hopefully from a more scenic location.

Sorry for such a long post, but I have waited six months to make it!

imagen

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
:mrgreen:
It would have been awful if you decided you didn't like her after that wait lol
good to see she pleases you :D

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
ps ~ the views are brill
do you need a maid?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Thankyou Fred for taking the time to post such a decent review. great read :)

·
Registered
979 Posts
Thanks Fred for the comprehensive & interesting review :D Looks really good in the reflex silver. This was my second choice of colour and nearly went for it to cut my wait right down. Not sure why but it doesn't seem to be a popular colour on the forum :?

G

·
Interesting that you were able to choose the 18" machined bi-colour wheels on your Xcellence.
We are not able to do that in the UK.
Looks really good in silver.

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
I dipped the centre frequency down on the centre speaker as per the picture I can dig out to be boring but as I said at the time it might have been the Plus unit that was doing it, just feeding too much treble to it. Other than that "fix" I haven't altered it again and enjoy the deep notes from the sub woofer.

I reckon the cards don't get put in the car since they have an eBay price and would go a walk during shipping. That's my theory.

I never touch autohold since I've had it, it's permanently on automatic. I'm cogitating how to park it up for three weeks and a bit. Normally on an automatic leave it in park. Choc the wheels and take the handbrake off. I haven't tried to park with the electric handbrake off and the DSG drops a pin to stop it moving. I did have it move when I was using the obdeleven it moved back an inch or so by itself - surprised me. I welcome your thoughts Freddie on whether I should disengage the automatic handbrake whilst leaving it. Might test it on Saturday. If I forget to put autohold back that will be fun.

I use the autowipers, the auto lights and auto dip all of the time. I see you have discovered the lack of storage space and the lovely alcantara seats we aren't allowed to have. Note that 19" don't tramline;).

Nice pictures. You wouldn't want a dark car out there.

Can I enlist you to run your car through the Nemiga.com site to determine what parts you have in relation to the Infotainment if you haven't got DAB on yours as per Spain. This came out on the other thread if it proves that the car in question doesn't have DAB. I'm wondering whether DAB enabled have the PND code plus ZN1 in Xcellence guise, now we need someone with a UK Xcellence to check theirs. I expect the Spanish Seat user forumn hasn't been trying to enable DAB for their holidays.

http://nemiga.com/cat_spares/etka/vin

·
Registered
5 Posts
Great to hear you are so impressed with the 1.4tsi with dsg. I have mine ordered since 11 January, and received an email from SEAT on Wednesday confirming that it had been built & was ready to leave the factory. Hope I'll have it by the end of the month. Can't wait!

·
Registered
286 Posts
Fred, thank you for sharing, it's great to hear such a detailed review from someone else migrating from a mk3 Leon, and your ateca looks absolutely stunning in silver!

Going from a 1.4 tsi Leon Fr to a 1.4 tsi Ateca excellence I am relieved to hear the handling and the performance are much the same as the Leon's as I was quite worried about that, but you have really made me regret my colour choice now! :cry: Although tbh my wife always gets more say when it comes to colour than I do anyway lol. Enjoy the car! :)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Good post. Great looking car in silver, I haven't seen one yet.

I can only compare a few things in your review, but the one I wanted to focus on was auto hold. What a fantastic bit of kit that is. It makes stopping and starting feel effortless, and mine is a manual!

Also the LED lights, they are incredible. My partner was worried that we were blinding other drivers.

I also agree on storage; the glovebox looks bigger than it is, if you have the books in it you're lucky if you can fit a pair of sunglasses in there.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Yeah I think the auto hold works really well as well. I was scared to use it before I got the car as had tried it on a loan Vectra estate I had once and couldn't get away with it. The Ateca one however just works fab. I cant believe I just got the hang of it straight away and haven't once reached for the old school kind of handbrake :D

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Afraid my hand starts to go down there, force of habit to check the handbrake is fully off when driving and my right hand starts to wander for the key in the ignition at times. Minor movements but then I stop myself. The LEDS are also good for nightime wildlife spotting with deer on the edge of the road and an owl flying over. Give a wide field but not irritating any other drivers by flashing. Think it's the pure white light that helps with visibility.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Tell said:
Afraid my hand starts to go down there, force of habit to check the handbrake is fully off when driving and my right hand starts to wander for the key in the ignition at times. Minor movements but then I stop myself. The LEDS are also good for nightime wildlife spotting with deer on the edge of the road and an owl flying over. Give a wide field but not irritating any other drivers by flashing. Think it's the pure white light that helps with visibility.
Seat do a great job with LED's, the only annoying thing I have found with the Leons is the constant flashing you get from oncoming drivers that think you have high beams on, to whom I instantly demonstrate the brightness of the high beams :lol:

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Uggzy2014 said:
Tell said:
Seat do a great job with LED's, the only annoying thing I have found with the Leons is the constant flashing you get from oncoming drivers that think you have high beams on, to whom I instantly demonstrate the brightness of the high beams :lol:
I use to get that with my upgraded Altea ones, Philips to the night or something, I'd flash back. They would pack in. The Ateca ones are fine and I use the auto dipping as well which works well. I do sometimes drop them if it hasn't picked up the tail lights of a car in front but generally works well. Traffic at right angles gets dazzled at junctions since it doesn't see any lights of any significance.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Tell said:
Uggzy2014 said:
Tell said:
I use to get that with my upgraded Altea ones, Philips to the night or something, I'd flash back. They would pack in. The Ateca ones are fine and I use the auto dipping as well which works well. I do sometimes drop them if it hasn't picked up the tail lights of a car in front but generally works well. Traffic at right angles gets dazzled at junctions since it doesn't see any lights of any significance.
Is the auto dipping part of the Xcellence spec or is it something that comes with the optional additional cameras? I've read in the manual that its the cameras that see the oncoming traffic so presumed that mine (with only a rear camera) wouldn't have it.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
On the Xcellence and SE models it is included in the Driving Assistant packs. It uses a camera in the windscreen fitting that is used for the light/rain sensor. I think it is also used for Lane Assist and Traffic Sign Recognition.

LED headlights are standard on the Xcellence and SE Tech and an option on the SE. I think that the non LED lights just dip, whereas the LED lights adjust the beam pattern so that you retain more light coverage than you would on full dip.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Fred99 said:
On the Xcellence and SE models it is included in the Driving Assistant packs. It uses a camera in the windscreen fitting that is used for the light/rain sensor. I think it is also used for Lane Assist and Traffic Sign Recognition.

LED headlights are standard on the Xcellence and SE Tech and an option on the SE. I think that the non LED lights just dip, whereas the LED lights adjust the beam pattern so that you retain more light coverage than you would on full dip.
Cheers, then that would mean my standard Xcellence won't have it. Probably best I know now than try it out on the next poor driver coming my way.

·
Registered
57 Posts
There is no levelling option when say you have 4 people in the car, does this mean the lights auto level themselves?

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Steveateca said:
There is no levelling option when say you have 4 people in the car, does this mean the lights auto level themselves?
when I get in mine adjust themselves (can see them go up and down the house opposite lol) so I presume autolevel

1 - 20 of 36 Posts