Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I was wondering what the general opinion is between the 1.4 TSI or the 2.0 TDI (both 150 bhp) for the new Ateca?

I've asked a local dealer and they weren't too sure how they both perform.
They did say theres about a £2k price difference :)

Which one would you go for?

Thanks,
Phil

·
Registered
334 Posts
No doubt the engines drive differently but that can be based on individual preference. There are not many comparison reviews between them yet as many journalists have only gotten to drive one engine. Over time more people will review different engines and we will get a clearer picture.

Realistically, most people choose between the two based on the mileage you may do. The difference in real life mpg between the two could be as much as 20 mpg in favour of the diesel, so it can come down to how many miles you do. Do you do enough miles to recoup the extra 2k outlay on the diesel by paying less at the pump over the course of your ownership of the car.

I personally do less then 8000 miles a year and only plan to keep the car 3 and a half years (length of pcp deal) so will never recoup the extra outlay in getting the diesel. So I am firmly in the camp of getting either the 1.4 or the 1.0 petrols.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response.

My current car is a 1.6 TDI Diesel (to ashamed to name it lol) so still unsure.

Mileage wise I'm between 12000 and 15000 per year just for work and my plan is to keep the car for about 10 years which is why I'd be looking at the Xcellence trim.

I've spoken with a couple of dealers and no one is getting any demo/showroom models until end of August.

·
Registered
118 Posts
The 150 diesel gets good enough reviews and with your mileage and desire to keep the car for 10 years the upfront £2k is, in my opinion, good value for money at about £4 per week. I'd think that you'll get that back on the extra mpg over the petrol engine. The 150 is fitted to many of the VW family and is now a standard fit in the Skoda range.
I do about 13k per year and until there is a good value PHEV I'll stick to diesel. I think that PHEV, until fuel cells are low cost, will be the long term way forward but I guess for a few years they will be fitted to the premium end of the market.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Plug in Hybrid Electrical Vehicle. The Mitsubushi PHEV is a good example, drive to the wheels is electric motors and can be charged, for a short range, from the mains but has a standard petrol engine to run an alternator and charge the batteries on the move over a longer range.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Rob, just a quick question: could you clarify if all the diesel engines in the Ateca have an adblue tank? I'm fairly sure that the 190 PS unit does but wondered about the others. Thanks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.