Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
I have seen a lot of videos and tests and what I could understand is that the 1.4tsi 2WD is the best Ateca in terms of handling on the road. Ofcourse I prefer 4WD as it makes no sense for me to buy an SUV with 2WD.

Here is a test of 2WD - its not in English but you will be able to see how Ateca handles the offroad. The guy in the video was surprised how it did well.

·
Registered
22 Posts
The Autogefühl Youtube feed has several tests of both 2WD and 4WD Atecas. We went for 4WD anyway being in a rural area, but also bear in mind that the 4WD models have multilink rear suspension and the 2WD has torsion beam. I haven't driven a 2WD Ateca but previous cars I've owned with torsion beam rear suspension I've found a bit disappointing.

Mark

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
From here:
http://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/ateca/first-drive

The 4WD versions (in the UK that'll be a 150bhp diesel manual and 190bhp diesel DSG) get multi-link rear suspension. It makes for a decent handling-ride compromise. It's decently damped if you don't throw it around mercilessly. Roll is evident but progressive and the steering has well-judged weight and response, so you can pour it tidily into corners. Then apply early power and the rear wheels find traction so it clings on gamely.

The two-wheel-driver is more understeer-prone, and the ride is a bit more clonky on the simpler rear axle. But there is a compensation: performance. Adding the complex rear suspension, the propshafts and diffs means an extra 100kg or so. Shed that and the FWD one with 150bhp - the UK's likely best seller - ends up feeling almost as lively as the 4WD 190bhp job.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/seat/ateca

Boot

While rear passenger space may not be as generous as some rivals, the Ateca does have a large boot. In front-wheel drive models luggage capacity is measured at 510 litres, which is considerably more than the Qashqai can offer.

Models fitted with four-wheel drive require a different driveshaft to be fitted beneath the car and that does impact capacity, reducing it to 485 litres. However, that is still more than the Nissan and Renault offer in front-wheel-drive form.

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Think we might have said that at some point except that the 150 2WD handles like the 4WD with the weight loss but they would say that wouldn't they. It comes down to whether you need the 4WD or not. The early period of launch for six months or so if you wanted a DSG you had to have it in 4WD. So it's not straightforward. You could wonder why one would buy an SUV that pretends to be a 4WD when it isn't but that's what people do. My excuse is I will be moving to a rural area and don't want to get stuck in snow.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Tell said:
You could wonder why one would buy an SUV that pretends to be a 4WD when it isn't but that's what people do. My excuse is I will be moving to a rural area and don't want to get stuck in snow.
It's not really an SUV, it's more of crossover. So basically a tall car with a 4WD option. I bought it because I wanted a mid sized runabout with decent mpg and I like the extra interior space (and elevated driving position) that comes with the style. My excuse is that when the weather gets bad I have a 500bhp SUV with winter tyres ;-)

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
It saves me backache however you define it :). Went threw a ford today, probably 8" didn't stop to check depth but triggered off the proximity sensors. The ford sneaked up on a single track roads round a bend over a diversion through road works. OK we'll do it. Thought, right, got the right vehicle, 4WD.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Why would 4WD drive make any difference to going through a ford? You are more likely to float than lose traction. :lol:

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Tell said:
It saves me backache however you define it :). Went threw a ford today, probably 8" didn't stop to check depth but triggered off the proximity sensors. The ford sneaked up on a single track roads round a bend over a diversion through road works. OK we'll do it. Thought, right, got the right vehicle, 4WD.
Is that man measurement of 8"

Was probably 5" in reality :lol:

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Was going to send the partner out to walk thought it. I joke. It was about 8" honest. Bit weird on the proximity sensors.

When I did get to Sainsbury's through this country detour it flashed red on the car diagram as something behind when there wasn't. Probably something to bear in mind with such an electronic vehicle not to submerge sensors, it probably just got wet.

Cross posting and all of that, the crooked reversing camera reported yesterday suspect was given a good knock by someone buffing the car up. Had a look at mine, all fine but a good knock would knock the block out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts