Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just been informed by our dealer that our Ateca left the factory in Barcelona on Wednesday and is at the port waiting to be shipped to UK, Dealer expects the car to arrive within two weeks. Naturally we are super excited! Very surprised it was built in Barcelona, which just adds to the excitement! :D

·
Registered
979 Posts
Uggzy2014 said:
Just been informed by our dealer that our Ateca left the factory in Barcelona on Wednesday and is at the port waiting to be shipped to UK, Dealer expects the car to arrive within two weeks. Naturally we are super excited! Very surprised it was built in Barcelona, which just adds to the excitement! :D
I'm very surprised it was built in Barcelona as well as they don't have a production line for it :D They are ALL made in the Czech Republic plant. Nice to have a unknowledgable dealer :lol: There was talk about shifting it to Barcelona but don't believe they have looked at doing it yet, and would take a while to setup. Ring SEAT customer services on 0500 222222 to find out for sure ;)

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Kindness71 said:
Uggzy2014 said:
I'm very surprised it was built in Barcelona as well as they don't have a production line for it :D They are ALL made in the Czech Republic plant. Nice to have a unknowledgable dealer :lol: There was talk about shifting it to Barcelona but don't believe they have looked at doing it yet, and would take a while to setup. Ring SEAT customer services on 0500 222222 to find out for sure ;)
Well they seemed pretty certain that was at port in Spain waiting to be shipped and was built in Barcelona so I'm going to assume they know what they are talking about, I can't rule out it being a mistake on their part but someone else on here had been told a couple of weeks ago by Seat UK that seat had a plan to do something very soon that would speed up production, so It could very well be that they have opened up a second production line. I dont have an order number to phone seat UK with and I'm not to worried in any case now that I know its on it's way. I'll leave it to the more inquisitive of you on this forum to get to the bottom of :)

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
No each one comes with a male bull from the rings ;). Think Freddie will tell us if and when production moves to Spain.

·
Registered
341 Posts
No they not telling you the truth! it's made at Kvasiny in Czech Republic at a Skoda Auto Factory where they also make the Superb, Yeti (plus I guess the new one) & Kodiaq. Think the car's are shipped to Emden, Germany for a trip by sea to our shores.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
They will find it difficult to make room to build the Ateca in Barcelona. The factory is running pretty near capacity at the moment and they are going to build the new Arona there. The new Ibiza will also need more production capacity and the new Audi A1 is going to be built there to replace the Audi Q3 which is moving from Spain to Hungary. The A1 volumes will be much higher than the Q3.

It's more likely that SEAT will try to persuade Skoda to give more capacity to the Ateca but it's all up in the air at the moment and the new Skoda models will put a strain on their capacity.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Uggzy2014 said:
Just been informed by our dealer that our Ateca left the factory in Barcelona on Wednesday.
'
Who's to say the dealer is wrong? The car has only left the Barcelona factory, no mention of it being built there.

Check the mileometer when collecting the car, it may have 1200 delivery miles :lol:

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Fred99 said:
They will find it difficult to make room to build the Ateca in Barcelona. The factory is running pretty near capacity at the moment and they are going to build the new Arona there. The new Ibiza will also need more production capacity and the new Audi A1 is going to be built there to replace the Audi Q3 which is moving from Spain to Hungary. The A1 volumes will be much higher than the Q3.

It's more likely that SEAT will try to persuade Skoda to give more capacity to the Ateca but it's all up in the air at the moment and the new Skoda models will put a strain on their capacity.
I take it you have a contact at Seat with some insider knowledge or is it just that there is more info available in the Spanish media?

I've managed to translate some Spanish articles and it seems that since it's launch there has been pressure from workers unions to build in the region of 30-40,000 units of the Ateca at Martorell in Barcelona each year due to the increased complexity of the car as workers will get more hours of work on it than on smaller models such as the ibiza and Leon.

Apparently the Leon production line is already capable of building the Ateca and only a small investment in painting facilities was required to enable runs of Ateca production as of late 2016. It seems that of the VWAG factories, Seat's Martorell plant has some of the most modern up to date facilities and equipment and a high reputation for build quality in the vwag, hence why it is in high demand from VW and Audi to build some of their cars as well.

There is little to no infomation I have been able to find online to suggest Atecas are being built there, so it does seem likely that my dealer is not in the know, but clearly It won't take much for Atecas to be built there if Seat decide to and it is the will of the workers.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Very easy way to settle this Uggzy2014 just give customer services a ring and ask them. You might not need your account number, some people have got answers without it. We did have another member a couple of months back told exactly the same thing by the dealer to turn out they too were mistaken ;)

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Kindness71 said:
Also pretty damn sure this press release last week from SEAT themselves answers it, sorry ;)

http://www.seat.com/corporate/news/cars/seat-invests-900-million-euros-ibiza-arona.html
Nevermind, I will put the dealer in their place when I go to collect the car once it arrives lol :lol:

I just find it odd that they wouldn't be aware of where the cars are built, perhaps they do and just don't want customers to know the Ateca is built by Skoda due to brand reputation. Most of us know Skoda is high quality these days, but I suspect there are plenty of peole out there who still associate it with the old stigma it had.

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Nick Bucks said:
Built by Manuel on the production line in the Czech Republic. Meester Fawlty- I come from Barcelona, I know nothing Que?.
Think Manuel was drinking his tea when mine past him on the production like once when the passenger footwell light was due to be fitted and again when the drivers heated wing mirror was to be connected. He was also employed in the MK Head Office when he had the job to check the build spec for the Xcellences with Navigation Plus specified as they build a load with the wireless charger deleted. Then he got a job at my local dealer after it was taken off the shipping Vag setting but ignored the error message that the driver heater mirror circuit was open. Delivering a car not up to spec. Basil needed to give him a clip.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Tell said:
Nick Bucks said:
Built by Manuel on the production line in the Czech Republic. Meester Fawlty- I come from Barcelona, I know nothing Que?.
Think Manuel was drinking his tea when mine past him on the production like once when the passenger footwell light was due to be fitted and again when the drivers heated wing mirror was to be connected. He was also employed in the MK Head Office when he had the job to check the build spec for the Xcellences with Navigation Plus specified as they build a load with the wireless charger deleted. Then he got a job at my local dealer after it was taken off the shipping Vag setting but ignored the error message that the driver heater mirror circuit was open. Delivering a car not up to spec. Basil needed to give him a clip.
All the more reason to setup Ateca production in Martorell! :lol:

I doubt Seat will be thrilled about reports of repeated misbuilds & missing parts coming out of the skoda plant. After all the Ateca is Seats new flagship and it's important it keeps a good rep for build quality, especially considering the competition it's up against, one of which I had a good look around this morning as my Father in Law received his new 3008 allure today which arrived at the garage a month ahead of schedule, wasn't even due to be built until next week at last update only a week ago! I plan to take some side by side comparison pics once I get the Ateca ;)

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Registered
158 Posts
Taken from Spain forum. They predict around 15k units per year Spain alone.
These are the units enrolled the Ateca in Spain during 2017.

January: 1,224
February: 1,193
March: 2.223

Accumulated: 4,640 (January - March)

·
Registered
243 Posts
This can be confirmed by the VIN number. If it starts with VS (or VT, VU, VV, VW) then it's Spain. Czech VIN numbers start with TJ, TK, TL, TM, TN, TO, TP.

P.S. Seems this is not strict in Europe and they may assign Spanish prefix VS even to cars built in other countries because the brand is Spanish. Anyone with Ateca can confirm whether his VIN starts with VS or TJ?

·
Registered
341 Posts
Mine begins with VSSZZZ5FZ so showing Spain... even built in the Czech Republic. In fact the only Spanish main parts I can find in my car are the floor mats and the rubber seals around the doors!

G

·
CyberGene said:
P.S. Seems this is not strict in Europe and they may assign Spanish prefix VS even to cars built in other countries because the brand is Spanish. Anyone with Ateca can confirm whether his VIN starts with VS or TJ?
I think it's always V-something for SEAT, since the company is Spanish. The way to tell where the car was made is to look the 11th digit of the VIN, which is the plant code in VW group cars. If the 11th digit is "R", the car is made in SEAT Martorell factory near Barcelona. If it's "T", 5, 6 or 9, it's made in Skoda's Kvasiny plant. Wikipedia page listing the factory codes might be out of date, though. So there may be even more codes used for those plants besides these ones.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Volkswagen_Group_factories

·
Registered
243 Posts
Tet70 said:
CyberGene said:
I think it's always V-something for SEAT, since the company is Spanish. The way to tell where the car was made is to look the 11th digit of the VIN, which is the plant code in VW group cars. If the 11th digit is "R", the car is made in SEAT Martorell factory near Barcelona. If it's "T", 5, 6 or 9, it's made in Skoda's Kvasiny plant. Wikipedia page listing the factory codes might be out of date, though. So there may be even more codes used for those plants besides these ones.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Volkswagen_Group_factories
Thanks, that's useful. Let's see if any member's Ateca might turn out being built in Spain!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts