Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2017 Ateca 1.4 Eco Xcellence has chrome trim around the side windows. The trim has become very mottled with white. In fact in some places it has turned almost entirely milky white. It's not surface corrosion. The milkiness seems to be below the surface and is not removed by any sort of cleaner. I did wonder whether a temporary plastic protective film had been missed during the original dealer's PDI but I can't find any obvious film edges to confirm that.

Has anyone else experienced this or have any idea why it's happening? It's looking more and more unsightly so any comments would be much appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
103 Posts
My 2017 Ateca 1.4 Eco Xcellence has chrome trim around the side windows. The trim has become very mottled with white. In fact in some places it has turned almost entirely milky white. It's not surface corrosion. The milkiness seems to be below the surface and is not removed by any sort of cleaner. I did wonder whether a temporary plastic protective film had been missed during the original dealer's PDI but I can't find any obvious film edges to confirm that.

Has anyone else experienced this or have any idea why it's happening? It's looking more and more unsightly so any comments would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Hi. I've had my 2018 Ateca from new and complained about this issue at its first service and have mentioned it several times since. I have always been told that its my own fault and probably caused by chemicals used at cheap hand washes! It looks quite bad now but no solutions I'm afraid.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hi. I've had my 2018 Ateca from new and complained about this issue at its first service and have mentioned it several times since. I have always been told that its my own fault and probably caused by chemicals used at cheap hand washes! It looks quite bad now but no solutions I'm afraid.
Surely the issue is that they are not fit for purpose and vag should have made them better

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Surely the issue is that they are not fit for purpose and vag should have made them better

Absolutely! In the five years since new my car has only been cleaned with well-known brands of auto shampoo. I once tried a little Duraglit metal polish on a very small section of the window trim behind a door mirror and it made no difference whatsoever. The milkiness is below the surface of the trim, not on it, so nothing is likely to remove it. I'd even meet the anticipated high cost of replacing all the trims but there is no confidence that replacements would fare any better.

It's frankly no surprise that VAG refutes any responsibility. Pretty well par for the course.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I've had the same on my 2018 Excellence, but only on certain pieces of the trim (some are very bad, others still look like new) which debunks the theory its caused by chemicals form a car wash (unless they are only washing certain parts of the car!), anyway I'm picking up my new brand new Ateca today (ordered Jan 2022) and nothing was mentioned when trading in the old one, so they either didn't see or weren't bothered about the discolouration

1 - 9 of 9 Posts