Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 181 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took delivery of a Xcellance 1.4 EcoTsi 4 days ago and have discovered a fault in the design which will unfortunately lead to premature corrosion. Even though the vehicle is spotlessly clean on the outside, on opening the rear doors I noticed that dirt, grit & mud is collecting near the bottom on the inside of the doors. See photos. The channel where debris collects is formed by the way in which the lower black plastic door trim is attached to the door panel. On the majority of vehicles, the rear door is seperated from the wheel arch and therefore this problem does not exist. However, on the Ateca, the lower part of the rear doors are directly exposed to spray from the rear wheels & tyres. It appears that this problem affects all models.

Having been involved in the motor industry for many years, I would advise the following:-
Please check your vehicle and if any dirt is collecting in this area then please help us all by writing (with photos if possible) to your dealer. Ask them to contact the manufacturer regarding this issue. Also write to Seat (which can be done at www.seat.co.uk/contact-us.html) . The more of us who do this, the sooner a fix will be available. In the meantime I would advise that owners take the time to keep this area clean until Seat comes up with the required fix.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Attachments

·
Registered
581 Posts
You are right!
This has been brought up on a thread previously by someone, and following that a few of us checked ours and all noticed it too..

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Update:

After writing to Richard Harrison the MD of Seat UK regarding the above, today I received a telephone call from Seat. They have requested photographs of the road dirt collecting on the rear door panels as they said they are totally unaware of this issue. If anyone else has noticed this problem on their Ateca, send your photos together with a description of the problem to [email protected]. Put your registration number and 'Design Fault' as the subject.

Cheers

·
Registered
132 Posts
Thanks for your work on this W19KED.
I haven't got my car yet but will be sure to keep an eye on this issue as I intend to keep the car long term.

·
Registered
18 Posts
You would have thought that the manufacturers in the VAG group would have sorted this by now. I know of similar issues on MK1 Leon's, VW Passats and Golf's. You only have to Google water in doors for xxxxx to see how many people have had similar issues.

I suggest we do all take up the advice and report any problems we see in this area.

Jim

·
Registered
581 Posts
Dang it, I washed mine yest, first time in about a month, and they were both bad again so I opened the doors and gave em a blast with the pressure washer..
Will be a few weeks before it builds up again now...

·
Registered
52 Posts
Thanks W19KED. I have just checked my Ateca and also have the problem. Tire Plant Wheel Automotive tire Leaf

I shall be writing to SEAT UK today!

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Is not just a corrosion issue but also very inconvenient as rear passengers will tend to brush past and get this on their cloths. A secondary seal attached to the bodywork to track the door edge is what is required.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Ouch. There is no question that this is design fault. Keep us updated what Seat will do about it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update:

In an attempt to keep the ball rolling, I have also provided my dealer with photos and asked them to submit a Technical Report to Seat regarding the problem. If you are ever driving past your dealership when your rear doors are full of rubbish and you have a minute to spare, feel free to call in and do the same.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Mine are also full of rubbish. Will do just that if I drive past. Mine just needs a wipe away but it's still something I wouldn't have noticed without the forum. Cheers.

·
Registered
158 Posts
After looking rear wheelarches and comparing to other cars in this segment like Tiguan or Peugeot 3008 i think i understand why.

They didnt put enough protection layer or wide enough to cover the door where wheelarch is.
I'm really dissapointed i ordered car that has so basic faulty implementations. Did the yeven test it? It should have been noticed on some dirt or snow driving.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have checked my car and I don't have this issue. We were driving in heavy rain last weekend, through country lanes and the exterior of the car got quite dirty but when I cleaned the car on Friday, I didn't notice anything like what has been displayed in the photos on the rear doors, just a very light dust/dirt that you would normally find on this area. Is the any chance that the doors weren't shut properly ? - just a thought. I have noticed that the doors on the Ateca need a bit of a slam. On a number of occassions, people have closed the door on my Ateca but it didn't close fully.

·
Registered
338 Posts
gavlar said:
I have checked my car and I don't have this issue. We were driving in heavy rain last weekend, through country lanes and the exterior of the car got quite dirty but when I cleaned the car on Friday, I didn't notice anything like what has been displayed in the photos on the rear doors, just a very light dust/dirt that you would normally find on this area. Is the any chance that the doors weren't shut properly ? - just a thought. I have noticed that the doors on the Ateca need a bit of a slam. On a number of occassions, people have closed the door on my Ateca but it didn't close fully.
It certainly isn't a door not shut correctly problem. It's probably because it was extensively tested in a dry country (should have used the UK during winter for some of it) and the problem wasn't noticed. It will cause corrosion problems over time. It needs addressing.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Seems a good reason to go out and give the car a good blast on the roads and drive in a few muddy puddles and down a lane or 2 to check this out. Will take photos of what I see. Thanks for this. Will report back

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
It doesn't help that it has a drainage type of vein on the edge / fabrication area where dirt can collect. Presume the door does not recess into the car enough and just picks up splatter inside. Got a Nissan Xtrail for a period so I'm going to photograph that area and the area where it goes into the car and compare when I get home with the Ateca to see the difference.

·
Registered
19 Posts
No doubt a door shutting issue looking at some of the photos posted - how else could so much crap gather in that space where my car has almost zero ? Unless SEAT have left a seal off your car ? You probably need to speak to your dealer so that they can explain why you have a problem. Good Luck ! :D

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I've seen it in mine

Will get pics and report on next build up

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Looking at an Xtrail it has a fin in the plastic underside moulding before the end of the door. I think that's the cunning aerodynamic device that has been left off the Ateca. The fin will cause air and muck to move sidewise away from the bottom of the door. No fin and the edge of the door gets the blast of air and muck. Those clever Japanese creating a vortex. Picture to follow. Will let others go fin spotting on other cars.

Will be interesting to see whether the Kodiaq has the same design fault and weird fabrication point which I think doubles up as inside door drainage. Perhaps they got in a tiss about air flows around this area due to that.

·
Registered
82 Posts
On the topic of design faults, the right hand drive versions suffer the same issue as the Skoda I just got rid of. If the battery is dead you can open the driver's door with the key but not the passenger door. You can't open the passenger door from the inside due to the Safelock mechanism. The bonnet release can't be pulled with the passenger door closed, so how do you get under the bonnet to use jump leads?

1 - 20 of 181 Posts