Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
918 Posts
Kindness71 said:
There used to be a story (an urban myth, maybe?) that Opel couldn't use 'Nova' in Spain, as it means 'doesn't go', so called it Corsa instead across all Opel markets, with only Nova for the Vauxhall brand......

Mind you they're (Opel) coming up with names I don't like at all now......Crossland X, Grandland - jeez; they led the way in names ending in 'a' - not SEAT. Names like Corsa, Astra, Vectra, Tigra, Zafira, Sinatra, Mokka etc. Even modern day Viva again

Now Adam, Karl...any other guys names? Who knows :lol:

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
They did actually register a different name for the Ateca that the motoring press got hold off also beginning with A, think it was the German press that named it, but got it wrong. Probably crafty Seat registering a set of town names that begin with A and the journalists didn't see the full set. So for a couple of weeks we thought it was an A??? .... but I've forgotten that name. :roll:

http://www.autobild.de/ wait long enough and I might find the link

Think it was March 2015 when the name got out, but the wrong...

·
Registered
231 Posts
I harboured a desire for a small Merc SUV at one point and took a punt on a "GLK" number plate. Then the sods decided it wasn't for the UK market ultimately replacing it with the "GLC". I missed my opportunity when I spotted a car with a "GLK" plate peeling off into the motorway services just as I was hurling past in lane 3.

My favourite name though is the Nissan Cedric - and I've only ever seen one.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
trogette said:
Yeah there's a reason we didn't look at the Kuga...
:lol:

G

·
trogette said:
Yeah there's a reason we didn't look at the Kuga...
:lol: Using Google translate the word Kuga means "plague" in Bosnian language :lol: Think about it... drive a car that is named after the death itself!

·
Registered
82 Posts
mcderms said:
There used to be a story (an urban myth, maybe?) that Opel couldn't use 'Nova' in Spain, as it means 'doesn't go', so called it Corsa instead across all Opel markets, with only Nova for the Vauxhall brand......
"No va" is indeed Spanish for "it doesn't go". They have lots of words that aren't ideal for car names. Pajero, as in the Mitsubishi, is Spanish for [email protected]!

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Which is probably why it is called the Montero in Spain.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts