Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Once the driver is in the car, a ring of light surrounding the illuminated start button pulsates like a heartbeat, indicating the Ateca is all set for its next adventure. SEAT Drive Profile too, is on-hand for adapting the car to the current driving situation, road conditions and personal tastes.

The range of innovative driver assistance systems is extensive. One example is Traffic Jam Assist: This assistance function makes progress in heavy stop-start traffic far more bearable. At traffic jam speeds, the Ateca steers, accelerates and brakes automatically within the system boundaries. At higher speeds of up to 37 mph, the system provides support with speed control and lane keeping. A new safety function is Emergency Assist: if the driver remains inactive beyond a certain period, the vehicle issues first a visual then an acoustic warning, followed finally by a brief pulse of the brakes. If there is still no reaction, the Ateca slows down to a standstill, while staying in lane. Rounding off its array of additional support technologies are ACC with Front Assist, Traffic Sign Recognition, Blind Spot Detection, Rear Cross Traffic Alert and Top View Camera.

View attachment 46

The highest level of connectivity

Connectivity, the constant connection with the digital world, is a major part of a modern, urban lifestyle for many people. The SEAT Ateca offers the very highest level in this crucial area - with the latest generation of Easy Connect infotainment systems, SEAT Full Link and the exclusive SEAT ConnectApp: Media System Plus, with its eight-inch screen, is the highlight, the Connectivity Box in the centre console of the Ateca enabling wireless smartphone charging for the first time in a SEAT. SEAT Full Link is the connectivity world for users of virtually all smartphones. Alongside MirrorLink®, Full Link also incorporates the functions of Apple CarPlay® and Android Auto®.

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
I am happy to see that this will have the full link connectivity in it. That is such a good feature to have when you have to travel for work. I am sure I will make full use of it.

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
They are the two. The top one is the plus, not the bog standard one which is the lower one which you get by default.

Without looking at it all again I thought the non plus could also come in 8". The Plus has the SSD drive and more built in navigation functionality, suppose to be faster than the non plus. The non plus is lacking on navigation stuff like entering your own POIs, don't think you can upload speed cameras, which you can with the plus. Both do connect. So basically for people that are planning to use their smartphones for navigation using connect they can get away without buying the enhanced one, question on screen size. The extra £800 or whatever it was they can save money on, I went for the Plus and the Seat sound system with the subwoofer in the boot spare. All speakers get an upgrade with this one as I understand. Suppose to be Canton but will have to wait first delivery for people to start to take their speakers out. Canton is what Leon owners say. They put Cantons on Skoda, same plant etc. So Seat sound system quality is top notch according to Leon owners, Seat speakers use to be dreadful.

·
Registered
334 Posts
That's what confuses me. I am not bothered by the SSD although I presumed there must be a further upgrade, as you can pay extra in the Xcellence model configuration on the sat nav. I am pretty sure I won't have the plus with the SSD on my FIrst Edition. Same size 8" screen, 2 SD slots, sat nav and full link is fine by me.

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
You have to carefully study the June 2016 UK price list for all this detail :) (too much for me to remember in my head)

https://web1.seat.co.uk/sites/default/files/AtecaPricelist_June.pdf

On page 7, the Plus is only an option on the Xcellence, it isn't thrown in described as

Navigation System Plus
/ SEAT Sound / 8" touchscreen / Dynamic route guidance with 3D map display and 3D
emblematic buildings / 2nd USB port / 10GB hard disk drive.
Includes space saving spare wheel (in lieu of tyre repair kit
Standard on the First Edition, SE Technology and the Xcellence has the 8" screen thrown in described as

Navigation System
/ 8" touchscreen / 3D Map display / High resolution colour driver's display
/ SD card slot x 2 / DAB (Digital Audio Broadcasting)
The standards SE doesn't get the above so but you can upgrade.

The Seat Sound System upgrade option you can't get for the First Edition, but you can for the SE, the SE Technology and the Xcellence, described as

SEAT Sound System
/ 10 speakers / Subwoofer.
Includes space saving spare wheel (in lieu of tyre repair kit)
Basically the SE people have to upgrade to get the 8" screen, suspect they have the 5" but I'd have to read on more, become an SE Technology and you have it. Poor S not sure what they get.... think just a radio.... (pays your money and all that).

So basically Magpie you are up with the SE Technology and Xcellence on this one you do get an 8" screen. Nobody gets the Plus unless they cough up extra. The two demo models I sat in had the Plus and the Seat Sound System so you need to be aware of what you are playing with since you might not be getting it in your option or don't fork out for it.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Suprised if the SE doesn't have the 8 inch screen as standard. When I was speccing one I was under the impression it had the 8 inch screen but just full link and the Nav were the options. At the time I just wanted full link so I could use CarPlay and apple maps. I was going to leave out the maps. I think it is only the base S that doesn't have the 8 inch screen.

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Price list shows it's £525 for the navigation system for the SE with that spec, but there is the SE Technology spec which has it in.

Although page 5 of the price list shows:

The S Spec

ATECA KEY SPECIFICATIONS
Not available on 1.0 TSI engine.
S
/ 16" 'Design' alloy wheels 36/1
/ Mediterranean Blue paint
/ Door mirrors & door handles in body colour
/ Chrome front grille frame
/ Hidden exhaust pipe
/ Electrically adjustable door mirrors
/ Twin bulb front halogen headlights
/ LED Daytime Running Lights
/ Black wheel arch surrounds
/ Rear fog light
/ Tinted windows
/ Rear wash/wipe
/ SEAT logo tailgate release
/ Media System Touch
- 5.0" monochrome touchscreen
- Bluetooth
®
audio streaming and handsfree system
- Sound features: MP3/WMA
- Connectivity: USB and SD card
- Four speakers
- FM Radio

/ Steering wheel mounted audio and phone controls
/ Front courtesy light with front reading lights
/ Illuminated boot
/ Front cup holders
/ Driver and passenger sun visor with card holder for driver
/ Four cargo rings in the boot
/ Comfort seats in cloth
/ Height-adjustable driver's seat
/ Split folding rear seats (60/40)
/ Height adjustable front headrests
/ Front armrest (adjustable, with storage compartment)
/ Leather steering wheel
/ Leather gear knob
/ Comfort suspension
/ Fuel door linked to central locking
/ Gear recommendation indicator
/ Warning buzzer when lights are on
/ Front and rear electric windows
/ 12V socket in front
/ Electric parking brake
/ Power locking and remote control with two foldable keys and
opening boot selector (three buttons)
/ Air conditioning
/ Driver and front passenger airbags
/ Front passenger airbag de-activation
/ Front side airbags
/ Two curtain airbags
/ Driver's knee airbag
/ Active front head restraints
/ ISOFIX points in outer rear seats with top tether
anchorage points
/ Traction Control System (ASR) + Anti-lock brakes (ABS)
/ Electronic Stability Control (ESC)
/ Electronic differential lock system (XDS)
/ Front Assist, City Emergency Braking and Pedestrian Protection
/ Tyre pressure monitor
/ Hill Hold Control
/ Tiredness recognition
/ Front and rear seatbelt reminders
/ Alarm (perimeter and interior monitoring)
/ 3.5" driver's display
/ Trip computer
/ Instrument lighting with brightness control
/ Low fuel warning light
/ Lights-left-on warning buzzer
SE Spec

SE
IN ADDITION TO THE S TRIM
/ 17" 'Dynamic' alloy wheels 36/1
/ Electrically adjustable and heated door mirrors
/ Electrically folding door mirrors
/ LED taillights
/ Black roof rails
/ Front fog lights with cornering function
/ Media System Plus
- 8.0" colour touchscreen with proximity sensor
- Combined USB/Aux-in port
- SD card slot
- FM Radio
- Integrated voice control
- Eight speakers

/ Full Link
/ Rear reading lights
/ Ambient spot lighting and front footwell illumination
/ Illuminated glove box
/ Driver and passenger sun visor with covered and
illuminated mirrors
/ Storage box under driver seat
/ Rear armrest and easy back seat release mechanism from boot
/ Glasses storage compartment in roof console (not available
with sunroof)
/ Front seat back storage pockets
/ Height-adjustable passenger seat
/ Driver and passenger seat with lumbar adjustment
/ Armrest with air outlet in rear
/ Chrome dashboard detailing
/ Cruise Control
/ Dual zone climate control
/ Steering wheel-mounted gearshift paddles (DSG models only)
/ Rear parking sensors
/ SEAT Drive Profile with Driving Experience buttons
Page 6 shows how the additions come in on the First Edition, SE Technology and Xcellance, basically all of these get the same 8" navigation but is 3D

/ Navigation System
- 3D Map display
- High resolution colour driver's display
- SD card slot x 2
- DAB (Digital Audio Broadcasting)
For the Plus which is above all of these the maps are stored on the SSD and another 10 GB is provided for music plus access to the SD card slot. As described on page 7.

The SEAT Navigation System Plus includes a high resolution
8" touchscreen, 2 USB ports, 2 SD cards and Bluetooth
connectivity for hands-free and audio streaming. This
advanced navigational system also includes voice
recognition, 3D navigational view with dynamic route
guidance and a 10 GB hard drive so you're totally at home
on the road.
That's what it says whether you find two SD USB ports in the others and some of the other bits and bobs possible.

I just call the Plus when I mean "SEAT Navigation System Plus", the standard option for the three models is "Media System Plus ". The "SEAT Navigation System Plus" is equivalent to the VW Pro.

Yeah it is confusing. Basically the S is 5". The rest are 8". 3D navigation comes in on the First Edition, SE Technology and Xcellance. The text "High resolution colour driver's display" I think is the screen in the dash by the speedometer rather than the central 8" display. The RR one is the "SEAT Navigation System Plus" since that knocks you back £915 to get it on the Xcellance that's why Leon drivers don't go for the bees knees system and say I'll use Google or iOS :). (thinking of their PCP funding etc).

·
Registered
334 Posts
Thanks. Clear as mud! :) if they wanted to save complexity in the factories I think the first place they should start is the on board systems! Why you need more than 2 tiers is beyond me.

When you think how much it costs to get an extremely capable iPad, say anywhere between 600 and 800 quid for a 128gb version that can do an awful lot more than most car systems, I do find it extraordinary how car manufacturers can justify charging so much extra for what are essentially relatively minor upgrades, sometimes even just software improvements. Adding a hard drive is a very cheap addition for Seat to implement I should imagine.

Seat sound is different. I do like my music so if I was racking up 30000 miles a year I would go for that, if it is indeed a quality upgrade to the standard speakers. But it annoys me how the bass cuts storage. Also, it has been a long time since I sat in any modern car in the last 10 years and noticed the speaker system being poor enough to complain about.

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
I think HERE maps must take a big cut. Obviously car systems don't have the same production volumes as tablets and smartphones which is possibly why they cost more. The infotainment system is your central control these days. I get to play with one in a Mazda Premacy in a hire car most years of recent in Japanese, I too want one, but preferably in English. I do now know how to change the menu to English, it took a few years and those manuals and leaflets left behind in the glove box.

http://www.mazda.co.jp/cars/premacy/feature/interior/

Had a Biante in 2014

http://www.mazda.co.jp/cars/biante/?link_id=grnv

Digress. Since changing the speakers in my Altea and I do have a thread against me elsewhere which covers the process some 11 years ago and Leon owners of the Mk 2 copied, since then I've had an eardrum collapse, so I just hear a high pitched whistling sound like a TV left on at night as in the old days. If the sound being played is above the background whistle then I'm fine :).

I think the reality is you don't need a sub woofer in the car that is a luxury. It's the other speakers that are important. Seat on the Altea have the tweeter placed to high so in the front you get it in yours ears from the front and back. There was no proper crossover and the tweeter was just connected into the mid range. 12 years ago these were "paper" speakers the sort that you might have grown up with or not. Rather than a modern polymer materiel for the cones it was just starched type of paper. All Seat's then had these dreadful speakers. I changed them, disabled the tweeter and put in a mid range / base with a seperate tweeter cone built in. They went down at floor level taking away too much tweeter sound at ear level. The trick was to find a speaker adaptor kit which you could put in, these are bits of plastic which OEM car speakers fit in. The Altea and Leon Mk2 being too new didn't have any suitable plastic adapter kits so you hacksawed down VW Golf one as I recall. You snipped a wire which took the inbuilt car's tweeter speak out and it worked perfectly. You can find that thread. Loads of people did it.

This time round I'm hoping the car's system is good enough, I'm paying for the Seat Sound System and that is suppose to be good so I'm not planning on refitting this time round :). I did look at the placement of the tweeters and noted the graphics equaliser. I'm hoping for big things in between the constant whistle.

Thinking about it I'm not convinced that I'm not cross subsidising the leather seats in the Xcellence, £950 is a lot to pay for the extra bits on the highest navigation. I'm also wondering whether the crowd sourcing information didn't give Seat an awful lot of modelling data so they can stitch consumers up. They have published a number of times the Web visits and configuration builds. Perhaps it wasn't a stupid stunt after all but a clever way of extracting decision information from the punters.

·
Registered
12 Posts
When I drive in the night, the reflection of lights has made my car slam on it's brakes when there has been nothing in front of it, sometimes the parking sensors beep too for no reason, is anyone else having these issues? My 14 plate Leon FR did the same with the parking sensors.

Is this common ? has anyone else had the same issues?

·
Registered
581 Posts
the parking sensors on my current cmax (T minus 4 days for that thing :) ) and also my Fiat works van, both seem to have a VERY wide range and beep when nothing directly behind, but is at an angle,
ie when reverse parking on a street, they beep very quick as i steer in, even though I am nowhere near hitting anything... always makes me stop and panic...

·
Registered
52 Posts
alanmartingreen said:
When I drive in the night, the reflection of lights has made my car slam on it's brakes when there has been nothing in front of it, sometimes the parking sensors beep too for no reason, is anyone else having these issues? My 14 plate Leon FR did the same with the parking sensors.

Is this common ? has anyone else had the same issues?
Yes, my sensors are also misbehaving. We have had the emergency brake kick in 4 times - very scary when there has been no obvious reason for it. Also regularly get front assist error, park pilot error, stop-start error & keyless access fault. Unsurprisingly car is booked into the garage for investigations on Monday.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The emergency brake activating when there is nothing in front of the car is pretty dangerous as you can't always rely on the driver behind being as reactive. This only seems to happen with white or silver cars in front of me and in certain light conditions like dusk or dawn. I did bring this up with the dealer when enquiring about the car due to the amount of times my Leon detected cars that were not there and they had never even heard of this before. Hopefully there is something they can do to alter the sensitivity of this system.

·
Registered
52 Posts
It is incredibly scary. Fortunately every time ours has activated, there have been no other cars on the road. It is a total mystery as to what has triggered it - the road ahead has been clear (no cars, pedestrians, wildlife or overhanging vegetation), it has been during the day and in normal weather conditions.
As we are also having problems with the other sensors, I think it is a software fault which I hope can be easily rectified. I do not want the car in the garage for days as despite these problems, I love the car and will miss her!
Funnily enough, the boot virtual pedal has worked perfectly everytime :D

·
Registered
37 Posts
I had 3 false alarms (the red car icon and beeping alarm) in about 6 weeks. Every time i was puzzled.. whats going on? Luckily no automatic breaking...

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
I was always a bit worried about the emergency braking kicking in. The proximity beeps I'm sure you get use to and a glance down at the 360' gives you an idea of where that's coming from when manoeuvring not driving.

What sort of mileage have you done Alan and how often has it slammed the breaks on ?. Clearly if you are getting it and others aren't in a similar position then it's your car.

Not Lane Assist doing it rather than the general front protection that all Ateca's have ?. Thinking of which sensors it's using and which protection mechanism is kicking in. You put it down to lights. Have to check or some can whether how the pedestrian avoidance works, radar or optical.

Ditto Blackateca Lane Assist off and anything around. Alan did you get the red light and warning or is this something different.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I must admit these reports are very worrying. I will often have children in the back of my car and the last thing I want to do is have them put at risk by the car randomly braking itself.

It is that concerning to me that if I had heard these reports before I made the purchase I would seriously be reconsidering whether it was the right car for me.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm literately only on 500 miles. I didn't get an audible warning, the red icon appeared in the centre LCD screen and the car came to a sudden stop and engine stopped. Once I pressed the accelerator, the engine came on and we carried on as normal. I have also noticed a small icon appear where the mileage sits a few times with 2 cars and an explanation mark, possibly meaning it thinks I'm tailgating the car in front, when I've seen this icon, the emergency braking has not activated.

On another note; has anyone experienced any issues with the start stop feature on the DSG? I've had 2 manual Leon's with start stop, and it's never been an issue at junctions as I've been in control of when the engine cuts out. Now I have the DSG box, I'm always conscious of the car cutting out while I'm in slow moving traffic. I've noticed that if I'm consistent and firm on the brake coming to a stop at lights, the engine goes off about a second before the car comes to a complete stop. If I am coming to a gradual stop and press the brake 2 or 3 times and am not so firm on the pedal, as if to come to a give way, the car tends to stay on till I firmly press the brake and the automatic handbrake is applied. I wondered if this was the way the car is set up to work, or if I need to adapt my driving style to suit the car/traffic I'm in? Thanks.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.