Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 10 month 2.0L Diesel Xcellence which has been going great guns great but this morning my key would not work so I fitted a new CR2025 battery to the unit but with no joy. Can anyone give any advice on what the problem might be and is it fixable?

·
Registered
931 Posts
Need more info - is it the key or car? Obvious question - what about spare key, does that work? ( need to rule out the possibility that the new battery may be a dud ).

·
Registered
931 Posts
Sounds like warranty claim. If it's not the battery then it's not DIY fixable.

edit: Just thinking... now this may sound really silly but you don't own another VW group vehicle by any chance? If you're a twat like me, you'll sometimes pick up the wrong key because they all look exactly the same. In fact to make matters worse, Hertz provided me with a VW UP on holiday last month and yes I will admit to standing there for almost a minute thinking I'd need to contact recovery because the car wouldn't open - I was using our Skoda key. :oops:

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
I have had the same problem with TV remote controls. I swapped over the Blueray player from the bedroom to the Lounge. Couldn't get it to work until I used the right remote!

G

·
MorlandRider said:
I have a 10 month 2.0L Diesel Xcellence which has been going great guns great but this morning my key would not work so I fitted a new CR2025 battery to the unit but with no joy. Can anyone give any advice on what the problem might be and is it fixable?
It may be out of sync, and needs re-syncronization with the car. First you need to remove the cover from the lock cylinder on the driver's door. Now press the opening button on the key fob (it's still not working at this point), then use the key blade to unlock the car with the mechanical lock (within one minute after pressing the fob button). Now the key should be in sync and work again.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
:roll: Thank you all, Gentlemen for your expert input. I contacted my local Dealer in Congresbury this morning and have just had the fault diagnosed. They advised that it was the original CR2025 battery with voltage at 2.9 V and informed me that they had sorted other Ateca keys with similar problem. However I am still not convinced with their explanation that if the Key Fob battery voltage drops lower that 3v. then the key does not flash or unlock the door or that fitting cheap replacement batteries can cause the same effect. This would indicate that battery life is going to be very restricted as I have only had the vehicle for 18 months with light use. Suppose I should not complain as they were quite happy to lodge a warranty issue if the electrics had failed and only charged me a fiver for my trouble.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Good it's solved. My key battery also died after about 20 months. In my case it was more trouble as my key is covered (see avatar) so I had to remove extra parts gently to avoid destroying them.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hello Just had the same problem. One of the romote units completely stopped working in push button and keyless mode. Put a new battery in but still no action. Tried re activating as per manual, still no action. Contacted dealer who told me to come in as it may require re syncing. Dealer got it working and told me that the old battery was 2.9 volts and the unit requires minimum 3.0 volts to operate correctly. Hope yours is as simple to rectify.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I think your dealer is right.
The wifes Ateca arrived in Dec 2016. In June 17 I was at the dealers who said the same thing. They changed the battery. In December 17 the battery was changed again and after testing it, it read 2.9 or 2.8 volts (can't remember which).
It was May this year that it would not open the car and I changed the battery and when I tested it, it read 2.8 volts.
On top of this I brought my Arona in March this year and my battery failed in October and I've changed that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sounds like an epidemic developing my 1.4 Excellence (registered Jan 2017) key has just stopped working today; luckily I was at home so could use the spare which works fine. Dud key is absolutely dead,no red light when any button is pressed.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I had this with old Leon mk3; make you get "Duracell CR2025 3V Lithium Coin Cell Battery". Don't buy the cheep ones!

·
Registered
120 Posts
My key died yesterday at 20 months but remember that if you have kessy then the key is transmitting almost continuously and so the number of times that you use the key via the open and close buttons will not have a great effect on battery life. I spoke to the service manager at the dealer and he confirmed that 20 months appears to be average battery life.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Mine has lasted 22 months!

It let me down yesterday, miles from home. Got into the car using the key blade and then had to endure car alarm and flashing lights until the breakdown guy arrived and had a spare key-fob battery. Called my dealer today to ask how come there is no way to use a "dead" key fob to start the car and was told that there isn't! The car was asking for the key to be placed against the KESSY button, but this didn't do anything. I was told that that is what has to be done ONCE YOU REPLACE THE KEY FOB BATTERY!

I was also told the car should have issued a warning that the key battery was getting low. This never happened and I am asking them to check why not at the service next week. Question: HAS ANYONE WHO HAS SUFFERED THIS BATTERY FAILURE HAD A WARNING TO REPLACE IT IN ADVANCE?

Maybe each service should include a change of key-fob battery. I now keep a spare in the car...

·
Registered
145 Posts
Didn't have any warning... it just stopped working suddenly.
But after replacing battery I didn't have to do anything, replaced and worked fine.

G

·
Anteca said:
The car was asking for the key to be placed against the KESSY button, but this didn't do anything.
Actually, the sensor is NOT on the start button. It's inside the steering column, in the same place where a lock cylinder would be in a car without KESSY. That's where you supposed to place the key, if the battery is dead. That's the backup procedure for starting, and has nothing to do with pairing the key after changing battery (which is not required at all). Press the start button first, then place the key next to the steering column - and the engine should start.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Tet70 said:
Anteca said:
The car was asking for the key to be placed against the KESSY button, but this didn't do anything.
Actually, the sensor is NOT on the start button. It's inside the steering column, in the same place where a lock cylinder would be in a car without KESSY. That's where you supposed to place the key, if the battery is dead. That's the backup procedure for starting, and has nothing to do with pairing the key after changing battery (which is not required at all). Press the start button first, then place the key next to the steering column - and the engine should start.
I would be interested if you know for a fact that this is true - my dealer didn't know this and I tried holding the damn key at various places (including where you say) to no avail. Would like to hear from someone who has actually done this successfully...

·
Registered
145 Posts
See manual p.167 (pdf p. 169)
You may also show this to your dealer... They should know this.
From my experience they know only little about vehicles they sell...

Font Circle Terrestrial plant Document Parallel

Attachments

G

·
Anteca said:
I would be interested if you know for a fact that this is true - my dealer didn't know this and I tried holding the damn key at various places (including where you say) to no avail. Would like to hear from someone who has actually done this successfully...
I had to use this procedure last winter, when my key battery went flat after spending an afternoon in the woods in -20 C temperature. I managed to get the engine running, but there was some hassle before it worked. I think I did something wrong first, and after some confusion the engine suddenly started when I pressed the brake pedal. :lol: The key was near start button at one moment, and next to the steering column at another moment. When the engine finally started, I think it was not near either one. :?

1 - 20 of 61 Posts