Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner
21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
With DSG the engine will not start unless the brake pedal is depressed. That could be the reason. On a manual car it will not start without the clutch being deprassed. Presumably this also apples to the emergency start procedure.

G

·
Fred99 said:
With DSG the engine will not start unless the brake pedal is depressed. That could be the reason. On a manual car it will not start without the clutch being deprassed. Presumably this also apples to the emergency start procedure.
That's probably it. But I'm used to press the brake pedal first, then starter button. If I press start button first, it just turns on the electrics. If I press the brake after that, I'm quite sure it won't start without hitting the start button again. :)

·
Registered
111 Posts
pch said:
See manual p.167 (pdf p. 169)
You may also show this to your dealer... They should know this.
From my experience they know only little about vehicles they sell...

starting.png
Thank you very much for this. And to others who have begun to shed some light. I frantically looked at the manual while my ears were being assaulted by the car alarm and all the lights were flashing. Didn't find this bit!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just had same problem the sensor for the key fob is directly below the wiper control arm. So once you are in car push start button press down on clutch (our car is manual) place key fob against steering column trim directly below wiper control switch arm and push start button again and car will then start. you get message on display (Replace key fob battery).

·
Registered
4 Posts
My 2 year old Ateca goes back to the garage tomorrow with only one key working . If they change the batteries again it will be the 3rd time. There must be a serious fault with these keys in general and a lack of interest by the Seat garages to resolve the problem.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hi everyone.

I had a similar issue in my previous car. I replaced the battery in the fob with a cheap one from a 'pound store'. It worked fine for a week, then I got an error message saying 'battery low' again. I tried another cheap battery in case the first was a dud. It too produced a 'low battery' error message after a few days.

I Googled it and found it to be a common problem. The cheap/generic brand batteries only produce 3 volts from new (some not even that) for a very short while. The drop in voltage below 3 volts is how the car senses a 'low battery' and displays an error message. I bought a Duracell from ebay and that sorted the problem.

I have just had to replace the battery in my Ateca fob after 12 months and again I used a Duracell. Works fine. I think that having to hold the 'lock' button on the key for a few seconds to turn in the wing mirrors every time I park the car must use up the battery quicker. Batteries on previous cars lasted 2 or 3 years (some longer).

Wilber6

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've had the same problem within 6 months of buying my car new. One key has just been replaced and the other sometimes did not work, which took 2 months of car being in garage. The other key has just failed today. Looks as though the battery is dead----4th battery in 2+ years. Battery was changed about 3 weeks ago. What else could be wrong as no one knows !!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
end of 2017 build with keyless entry , my key fob stopped working this morning, no warning when i parked up last night, luckily i was able to get at my spare key and gain access to car.

is the battery in the key fob covered under warranty or do i have to replace it, and how do i open the key fob to get at the battery?

·
Registered
145 Posts
ep-irl said:
is the battery in the key fob covered under warranty or do i have to replace it, and how do i open the key fob to get at the battery?
Not covered, it's consumable.
To replace - read page 124 in the manual

·
Registered
579 Posts
This annoyingly reminds me of my recent service. I had already changed the battery in the fob a few months earlier. The service manager told me that my battery was due for changing but, when I told him that I had already done it, he said that's the reason it was coming up on the system. The car didn't recognise the battery because it isn't a SEAT one :? . I told him politely that was BS because surely a battery is a battery and isn't impregnated with any SEAT DNA. It's a good Duracell. He mumbled and then shut up.

This came after he told me that I had a cut on my tyre tread (not dangerous) but he could rip me off to the tune of £196 for a new Bridgestone Turanza 215/50/18 if I was gullible enough. Add to this the AC recharge I didn't need and a new rear wiper I had just replaced with a superior Bosch.

I do feel sorry for some people who genuinely feel worried and just get fleeced.

Sorry I'm on a rant and gone completely off thread.

·
Registered
43 Posts
This link is to a YouTube video to replace a VW fob battery which, I think, is the same.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Also, CR2025 batteries often come in pairs so I keep the second one in the glove box just in case.

·
Registered
268 Posts
In my experience the two batteries decay at the same rate, even though the spare was just a spare....so had to replace both batteries as the residual voltage had dropped in both;

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
I had a Keyfob Battery Low warning yesterday The key still works but the little red light does not flash any more., the spare key does flash.

Conclusion, if you can see the red light, the battery is OK - if not, change it. It seems that the dash warning can't be relied on

·
Registered
74 Posts
Jus as an aside my usual remote died after 12months no warning from the car, yes it does tell you if remote battery is low! Replaced battery and all was well.
!2 months does seem a short life span for a battery in a remote. previous car Peugeot 3009 lasted two years with similar use.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Another one chiming in on the dash warning - or lack thereof.

No warning at all for me - the telltale sign was KESSY. First hints of battery issues was KESSY not always working first time, then not at all. Key was still functional for ignition purposes though. So having lasted 2 years I decided that was the point to change the battery rather than wait until I was getting issues with starting the car too.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Both of our keys have just died overnight, without warning. Off to get some batteries later this evening.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
My spare died yesterday and a warning came up on the dashboard.

·
Registered
73 Posts
My key died monday afternoon and my father in law got the same problem thursday morning. Mine will turn 2 year in February and his did just become 2 year in September.

21 - 40 of 61 Posts