Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all Ateca fans! I have been following this forum for a while. I really like the design of the Ateca, but have not yet managed to test drive the top trim level of the Ateca. Today I tried the new Tiguan. I test drove the most expensive R-line diesel edition. and ohh boy I got a little disapointed.....Our current car is an Audi A3 Sportback which is much nicer to drive than the Tiguan. Not even the interior is impressive. Unfortuntly I have only been sitting in the lowest trim level of Ateca 1.0 reference and honestly it felt cheap. The Seat dealer told me that the differince between the trim levels of the Ateca are huge, like day and night. Is that correct?

How is the 1.4 TSI Xcellence to drive? any one tried both Tiguan, Mazda CX 5 and the top trim level of Ateca with petrol?

I really wonder why the Tiguan is so expensive, when it really does not fell nice or posh to drive!

Interrested in a crossover SUV, but not at all cost. It has to be a better drive-feeling, before I throw 3000 euros extra for a "tall car" .

EuroDriver.

Former cars: Peugeot, SEAT and now Audi.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
There is a huge gap between the top and bottom Ateca spec. It is easy to double the cost of the entry level S version by going to the Xcellence and specifying a load of options. Of course, if you were to do that on either the Audi Q3 or Tiguan the differential cost would be even more.

I think I am in a reasonable position to advise you as I have just come from a 3 year old, well specified Leon 1.4Tsi, which is essentially the same as your Audi. I loved the Leon for its blend of performance from the lovely Turbo 1.4 and above all, it's handling. So, I was concerned that the heavier, bulkier Ateca would take the edge off my enjoyment - I could not have been more wrong - it's just as good. The extra bulk is offset by the slightly more powerful engine and the DSG gearbox.

There is little doubt (based on dozens of road tests) that the Ateca is the best handling compact SUV, especially the petrol versions due to the lower weight and better weight distribution.

You really must try one, but I am sure you will not be disappointed.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks a lot for the answer Fred99. There will be an Ateca Xcellence next week for me to test drive, when the sales person (who is driving that car everyday) is back from holiday.....lol And you are right, our Audi A3 sportback is a 1.4 TFSI. it's really good and fast. If the Ateca is just a little bit like the A3, im impressed. But Tiguan is too heavy and slow and has now been removed from my shortlist!

So far i'm an Ateca fan!

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
The R Line has the flexibility on the sliding rear seats, loads of cubby holes but ugly. The Ateca, pretty, no rear sliding seats, few cubby holes and a sporty firm ride. The diesel does shift as well.

I was close to buying the R Line in the summer when frustrated by the enforced leather seats of the Ateca Xcellence in the UK, not veggie friendly if your partner is. Then the R Line is just ugly and stade so got dispensations to buy the Ateca although storage limitations won't be for everyone. Suspect in the model design plan you have to wait for the Allspace equivalent which is penned in for the end of the decade, the Skoda Kodiaq's Sister car. Kodiaq, VW Allspace and the yet to be named Seat.

April is when you can find the Kodiaq at UK dealers which will be interesting to see for anyone with an Ateca since they are made next to each other. The Arona is the next Seat baby Captur sized SUV for the end of the year, new Ibiza sized but SUV.

Possibly the Seat design spec goes singles and courting the Arona. Couples and small children the Ateca. Families that need the storage space and flexibility one syspects the as yet un named car, available 1 - 2 years based on what Seat said at Geneva show, by end of decade. Intrigued by how much interior flexibility and storage space the Yeti II will be blessed with. The Ateca reminds me of a minimalist German hotels with spartan storage where you end up putting stuff on chairs and the floor. It doesn't provide a shower until you open the door on a wet day, if it did it would be one of those German exhibition glass types :).

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hello Eurodrive . Have you considered the Audi Q3 ? There is also a new Skoda Yeti due next year which will be based on the Tiguan / Alteca and may offer more storage than the Alteca.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi, I guess I was in a bit of a privileged position as I was able to get demo's for all three of these (over a number of days) through the lease company my work use, before I decided on what I ordered.

Whilst I did feel that the Tiguan was the better looking of the three, I did find it really sluggish to drive.

I ended up being in a straight fight between the Ateca and the C-x5 which I couldn't really split between based on how they drove (and how much they would cost me), the Ateca got the nod as there were more options/gadgets to choose from. I also found the display on the instruments panel on the C-x5 to be be too limited compare to the Ateca.

Although I am still waiting on my car which hopefully will be with me next week

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nick Bucks said:
Hello Eurodrive . Have you considered the Audi Q3 ? There is also a new Skoda Yeti due next year which will be based on the Tiguan / Alteca and may offer more storage than the Alteca.
We actually like the space we have in the Audi A3 SB, but we just want a little more boot space and the higher seating like in a crossover/SUV. I like the tuff look of a midsize SUV. We looked at the Kodiaq, but it's too big.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
norby1980 said:
Hi, I guess I was in a bit of a privileged position as I was able to get demo's for all three of these (over a number of days) through the lease company my work use, before I decided on what I ordered.

Whilst I did feel that the Tiguan was the better looking of the three, I did find it really sluggish to drive.

I ended up being in a straight fight between the Ateca and the C-x5 which I couldn't really split between based on how they drove (and how much they would cost me), the Ateca got the nod as there were more options/gadgets to choose from. I also found the display on the instruments panel on the C-x5 to be be too limited compare to the Ateca.

Although I am still waiting on my car which hopefully will be with me next week
Good to know! Thanks. Hopefully I can test drive the Ateca top spec soon. The new Mazda CX5 won't come until end of the year I guess and more expensive. One website said USD 2000 extra....

·
Registered
163 Posts
Skoda Yeti will not be that good looking as Ateca is - at least I am not a fan of Skoda design.

From the test that I have seen the Ateca is more fun to drive than the new Tiguan and what is most important its much cheaper! Mazda CX5 looks good, but I am not a fan of Mazda and all other Japanese cars either :) So for me it was an easy choice - I went with Ateca and its just so great!

For that kind of money you will not get anything better! My Ateca was around 33 thousand euro.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nick Bucks said:
Hello Eurodrive . Have you considered the Audi Q3 ? There is also a new Skoda Yeti due next year
I have checked out the Audi Q3, but I dont like the design haha. If Audi Q3 could borrow the desig of the Ateca, then I would consider it lol.

I want a car with great design and driving skills, thats why I'm interested in the Ateca :)

·
Registered
116 Posts
I test drove the Mazda CX-5 and the Ateca. The CX-5 is a good car, the 2.2L Diesel is a fabulous engine, and it handles better than quite a lot of others. However, when I test drove the Ateca in XCellence trim, that was it. Loved it. And let's face it, cars are about emotions as much as anything else.

The CX-5 would be the sensible choice, and I think Mazdas are great cars, but the Ateca XCellence 1.4 Tsi is the emotional choice for me. It drives and handles beautifully, and it just looks cooler all round.

·
Registered
61 Posts
The driver position in the CX5 feels a bit like being the captain of a small and somewhat claustrophobic spaceship. It's a great car to drive though.

The Xcellence 1.4 DSG that I test drove was a better experience. The visibility is good, better than the CX5. The car handles great for what it is. Agile is the best word I can come up with for how the 1.4 TSI DSG feels in the Ateca.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Sorte Per said:
The driver position in the CX5 feels a bit like being the captain of a small and somewhat claustrophobic spaceship. It's a great car to drive though.

The Xcellence 1.4 DSG that I test drove was a better experience. The visibility is good, better than the CX5. The car handles great for what it is. Agile is the best word I can come up with for how the 1.4 TSI DSG feels in the Ateca.
Exactly.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Agile is definitely the best word to describe it. I test drove a 150Tdi 4WD and was disappointed compared to my 1.4 Leon. I really was having second thoughts after that drive.

I later tried the 1.4 Ateca and it was a different car - I ordered it on the spot. The extra weight on the Tdi/4WD really makes a difference.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Fred99 said:
Agile is definitely the best word to describe it. I test drove a 150Tdi 4WD and was disappointed compared to my 1.4 Leon. I really was having second thoughts after that drive.

I later tried the 1.4 Ateca and it was a different car - I ordered it on the spot. The extra weight on the Tdi/4WD really makes a difference.
OK, now that's interesting. It makes sense, clearly, because of the extra weight from the engine / drive train, but I'm interested that it made that much of a difference.

I actually went to the dealership looking to test a new Leon, but found the cabin a bit cramped. Hopped into the Ateca and thought, oh that's better, then took the 1.4 Tsi for a test drive. I dashed home to do some calculations in Excel around the cost, and thought, sod it, I WANT IT!

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
It's not a huge difference, but bearing in mind that I was happy with my Leon which had done less than 20000km, I could easily have walked away unless I was 100% happy with the performance. For me it was a deal breaker, others may have different priorities when faced with the choice.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
:p I could get it in red so bought it

·
Registered
116 Posts
Saggy said:
Now you're just reinforcing stereotypes about girls...

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Fred99 said:

I worked out the power to weight ratios across the UK Ateca range and threw in your 1.4 TSI DSG taking the weight with one driver from the Irish brochure. The poor relative is the 1.6 TDI which was a 24 percent lower power to weight ratio to the 1.4 TSI DSG. Effectively the power to weight rations of the 1.4 TSI manual and DSG are very close. 0.7 percent loss on the DSG but will be made up by fast gets aways, so I treat the power to weight ratio of the two cars as effectively equal. The 1 litre TSI is lagging behind by 19 percent to the 1.4.

As you say Freddie the 1.4 TSI DSG beats the 2.0 TDI 150 4Drive manual by 12 percent, but the prize goes to the 2.0 TDI 4Drive DSG ahead by 8 percent, the extra power makes up for your disappointment above :). That tallies with what I worked out last time. That's why they put the big diesel on the 4Drive DSG. I suspect the much the talked about Cupra with be 2.0 petrol that seems to be 180 based on the Tiguan. Since they haven't brought it out I stopped myself speculating on the weight of it.

I posted the calculations up here

http://www.atecaforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=943

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
jimbrimble said:
Saggy said:
Now you're just reinforcing stereotypes about girls...
I'm also joking :)
Although would LOVE a purple car

1 - 20 of 36 Posts