Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Leon said:
Can't say for definite but, I would expect it to be no more than 18". Do you get a lot of flooding?
Well if his name has anything to do with where he comes from then probably yes! :-D

·
Registered
918 Posts
Personally I will assume it doesn't have one; it's not a fully fledged off reader, after all !

As it's technically a road car, I wouldn't be keen to put it through water higher than the level the exhaust sits at :shock:

·
Registered
338 Posts
mcderms said:
Personally I will assume it doesn't have one; it's not a fully fledged off reader, after all !

As it's technically a road car, I wouldn't be keen to put it through water higher than the level the exhaust sits at :shock:
It's the air intake that is crucial when going through water. Water through that....BANG goes the engine. You just make sure that you don't go through water that will come anywhere near that intake!

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Electronics don't like water as well so you'd have to check where all that is in relation to depth. You would have to find where all of those control units the bus is talking to, the cabling etc.

Old Tiguan discussion with pointers

http://www.mytiguan.com/index.php?/topic/981-what-the-tig-can-and-cant-do/

I suspect Seat Finance through the PCP deals the majority of people are using would take a dim view to water ingress.

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
That link puts the 2009 Tiguan at 200mm which is just short of 8", that's 10" shorter.... I like the bit or not about floating off a bridge.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm not talking about driving thru rivers :D just when you come across a slightly flooded road that a low down hatchback wouldn't attempt but u could in a higher SUV . My ford kugas wadedepth is 12in and I wouldn't chance any more water than that.

Where about is the air intake on the ateca 1.0l

·
Registered
338 Posts
The air intake is usually located at the top of the front grille. Measure the distance from that to the ground and halve it. That will be the unofficial maximum wade depth. 8" and above its likely water may get through the doors but it shouldn't get into the air intake, providing you're driving very slowly of course. Manufacturers are not going to give high wade depths because it could make them liable, so they usually state about 6". The main criteria is common sense.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Given what i paid for the car and that its nothing like my old Vitara (cheap with a 2 inch body lift and 2 in suspension lift) or the pickups i have had in the past, i wouldn't do serious wading in it. Nor would I recommend higher than the door sills, the seals dont look like they would cope with the water pressure nor have i spotted anywhere where they may be a drain point in the foot wells. Consult the manufacturers specification, in a ford flowing fast as soon as that water hits the same height as your doors and given the cars weight it may just bob off down the river. I dont mind off roading and the Green lanes i have been down in it so far but I wouldn't do serious river crossings. Assess every situation accordingly. Flooded roads that are not 4 foot deep may be an ok, dont at any point turn your engine off in water or restart it if you find yourself in water and it cuts out, anyone who has ever done off roading like myself can give more tips but its a family Cross over not an offroad toy.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.