Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner
41 - 60 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
How soon before someone piles into the back of your new ateca as a result of the auto braking kicking in?

I know it would be their fault for not being alert but would be a real pain if not much worse.

This is the single biggest issue making me hold back from ordering right now until I can see a resolution.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Just turn it off - simples!

·
Registered
778 Posts
A few people have commented on it, but it seems to be the exception rather than the rule right now - will see if that continues.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Touch wood, I've done over 3k miles and never experienced auto braking... yet! The sensors have given some warnings but no actual action.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I've not even experienced the warning yet and have driven along several rural roads so hopefully it's not a common problem.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am glad others have had experience of the front assist warning light coming on and immediately the emergency brakes kick in. I thought perhaps I had caught the brake pedal and accelerator as both are close together (or I have big feet). It has happened three times now whilst travelling along country lanes at about 10 miles ph. I am going to pop into my local dealership to see whar they say. It is unerving and takes the pleasure away from driving such a lovely car in every other respect.
Dafydd

·
Registered
283 Posts
Have done circa 6k miles in ours and found it only really triggers when you would expect it to. Only had full autobraking once and it was reasonable. Had the brakes applied a few times in ACC/Traffic assist again well timed. Also had the warning come on a few times probably in the right place.

I believe you can adjust the autobraking sensitivity as a setting, you might want to play about with that, but I have found it to be excellent thus far.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi.
You will have to excuse me as I havent read all of this thread.
The auto braking is also a big problem on the Tiguan forum as they both use the same system/parts.
Theres 14 pages about it in the thread, badges have been replaced (no good) sensors been replaced (no good) Dealers cant replicate the problems so they are saying there is no fault, its down to driving style etc. Altering the sensitivity on most has not fixed it.
There was mention of a software update, but this has not come about.
One owners car has been to VW's main place, where they fixed it but the owner had to sign a non disclosure agreement.
VW must be aware of it otherwise they would not have made him sign the agreement.
Heres the thread if anyone wants to read it.
https://www.tiguanforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=351&hilit=auto+braking

·
Registered
24 Posts
I don't believe this is just a VAG issue. I drove a Volvo V90 for a fortnight in Norway earlier this year and it happened to me twice. On both occasions I was going round a sharp left hand bend where it seemed to detect a car parked at the side of the road as a hazard.

·
Registered
2 Posts
We also have this fault and the car pulled an emergency stop from about 30 mph for no reason (captured on the dash-cam). It was so severe that the seat-belt caused bruising to my elderly Mother.

Despite the video evidence the dealer and Seat UK claim there is no fault.

Just to respond to one comment made here 'turning it off' is not a solution, (this part of the system can't be switch-off according to the dealer), nor should it be as it is part of the cars specification and simply should work like any other part of a new car!

I have reason to believe that the VW Audi Group know about this fault, but are committed to covering it up for fear of triggering an expensive recall. We are now pursuing legal action.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
As the original poster of this topic, I thought I would provide a recap and update.

You may recall that when I visited the dealership to have the system checked out, they couldn't find a problem. To be fair, this was expected with an intermittent problem. When I received the car, the Auto Braking sensor was set in the middle - Medium I think. After numerous scary moments, and ABS braking, I had altered this to Later thinking that this would mean the brake didn't kick in so soon. The dealer then changed this to Earlier meaning that the car would assess the situation sooner and not slam the brakes on at the last moment. Some of this made sense and some of it seemed counter-intuitive.

The dealer told me to see how the alteration changed the car and report back. I had no further incidents for a few weeks until I went to Cornwall and the brakes locked on 3 times. To be fair, all these occasions were on roads that the sat nav had sent me down that seemed narrower than the car!!. It was no surprise it picked up greenery and high banks. Since I returned a month ago I have had no further incident except where I wasn't paying attention and the Auto Braking actually saved me.

Based on this, I would suggest anyone still having the issue to set the sensor to Earlier (or whatever it is) and see what happens.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a brand new shiny Ateca. Waited for 4 whole months. Wish I hadn't. The front assisted braking is dangerous. It doesn't slow you down, it literally slams on like an emergency stop. 3 times now I have had whiplash. I am scared of driving this car, because if it happens again then it could cause a pile up of cars if it hits me from behind.. It is now with the dealership to sort out this problem.
People you need to complain as nothing will be done with the problem .

·
Registered
2 Posts
:roll: :x
I have threatened to get the press on Seat if my Ateca is not fixed. The front assist is dangerous. You need to contact seat dealer so that this problem can be highlighted and sorted out once and for all.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I allowed the dealer almost two months to sort out the fault on our Ateca (that's six weeks they have had it, and its still at the dealers) and yesterday they claimed there was no fault even though I gave them a copy of the dash-cam video which clearly shows no obstacle on a very straight road.

You should not settle for anything short of a full remedy of this fault, turning it down just so you can live with it should also not be the solution. We all paid good money for cars that should function as expected.

This fault could cause a serious accident and I'm sure an insurance company would take a dim view of anyone who continue to drive a car with a known braking fault.

I agree that we should all look to take action. For my part, we are taking legal action against the dealer and have contacted Trading Standards and my local MP to ensure that other don't suffer this fault.

·
Registered
581 Posts
we went to cornwall for the wknd for half term and ours slammed on again down narrow country lanes leading to the caravan park...
only ever seems to happen for me on this sort of road...

·
Registered
2 Posts
We bought an Ateca Excellence with front assist in April 2017. It has spent a total of 11 weeks at the dealership!!!
Leak fixed but the front assist goes of at least once a week. We live on Guernsey with narrow rural lanes just wide enough for a car this size.
We have had the front sensor changed, then had a software glitch as CPU wouldn't speak to sensor which then needed contact with SEAT for a software patch. Got the car back last week from our particularly poor dealership and guess what? still goes off warning and then sharpe breaking.
We got the excellence for engine and other stuff not the front assist and so far it's spent almost more time at the dealership than with us.
I want to turn off the front assist and the handbook says the the car should remember the settings/ sensitivity and remember between journeys to stay off. It doesn't on my car, is this a problem with all Atecas?
It's a pain every time I get in turning it off again!!!!!!

·
Registered
42 Posts
This is very concerning. I've had my SE Technology for a couple of months and am pleased to say I haven't had any issues does this auto breaking feature come with all models or was it an optional extra ?

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
All models. It's what helps the Ateca get its 5 star safety rating. That's why it can't be turned off permanently.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Oh no. Mind you I've not had any issues with it as yet. Mine is a company car hence why I didn't perhaps pay as much attention to all the bells and whistles when I ordered it as I would have done had it been my own money.
I might buy it from the company when I retire. If I get issues like this they can keep it.

41 - 60 of 93 Posts