Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner
61 - 80 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just had a quick look on the VW Tiguan forums they have the same problems a very interesting video by a former traffic policeman his wife says she had it investigated by the DVSA who found it to be a fault on the calibration on the front sensor with both Seat and VW having the same problems it needs action taken by the VW group which is a fault on some cars before a accident happens it is up to all car owners with the problem to insist the dealers and and Seat fix the problem or report it to the media like Watch dog then perhaps they will take it seriously

·
Registered
283 Posts
had ours for 6 months and driven 7k miles and the autobraking has only ever been applied when you would want it to.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
I have had a few red warnings flash up momentarily, usually grass or something at the side of a narrow road. It has never applied the brakes.

I agree, it is likely to be a problem with just a few cars, but either way it needs fixing.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Morning - just reading through some of the posts and my most recent experience with Auto Braking happened last Monday 6th November 2017 when I was driving on an 'A' road in Bristol and the sun was out, so quite bright and I drove under a railway bridge into shade and the auto braking system applied itself! There were no other vehicles in front or travelling in the opposite direction towards me? I contacted the local SEAT dealer because since having the car (June 2017) this braking system has initiated approximately 6 times. The result of the service inspection was there is nothing that can be done about the sensitivity but can be switched off? My main concern regarding the system is the unpredictability of it initiating - travelling at 60-70 mph on a motorway and the system operating raises concerns??

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
Despite my combination of warnings and actual braking moments being well into double figures, I've not actually had a problem with open roads. The warning came up again last night and it triggered because I was turning into a sweeping driveway and still carrying a bit of speed. Not excessive by any means but enough to makes the car think I was heading for the hedge.

When I gave my recent update I mentioned about the garage changing the setting to Early and noticing a drop off in problems. I had reason to be in the system this weekend and I noticed it was still set to Late :? . I did think the argument the garage gave for setting it Early was somewhat counter-intuitive. Anyway, I'm leaving it as it is for now.

The reason I was in the system was because I had a warning come up advising that the Front Assist sensor was impaired. The Seat badge on the front was covered in water droplets so I gave it a good clean. The warning took a while to reset itself but it did disappear. It does make you think about what would happen if you were flying down a motorway at 70mph and hit a wasp bang smack in the middle of the Seat badge. Would the system kick in and cause all sorts of chaos?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Daver said:
Morning - just reading through some of the posts and my most recent experience with Auto Braking happened last Monday 6th November 2017 when I was driving on an 'A' road in Bristol and the sun was out, so quite bright and I drove under a railway bridge into shade and the auto braking system applied itself! There were no other vehicles in front or travelling in the opposite direction towards me? I contacted the local SEAT dealer because since having the car (June 2017) this braking system has initiated approximately 6 times. The result of the service inspection was there is nothing that can be done about the sensitivity but can be switched off? My main concern regarding the system is the unpredictability of it initiating - travelling at 60-70 mph on a motorway and the system operating raises concerns??
Daver,

The sensitivity of the warnings can be altered on the infotainment system, I have mine on the middle setting and that seem OK.
On the steering wheel it can only be turned on or off.

Tim

·
Registered
931 Posts
tobydog said:
It does make you think about what would happen if you were flying down a motorway at 70mph and hit a wasp bang smack in the middle of the Seat badge. Would the system kick in and cause all sorts of chaos?
'
It would to the wasp.

These detection systems work by radar - it ain't going to pick up a wasp but the resulting 'splat' might bring up the 'sensor impared' message.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Golfmk56 said:
tobydog said:
It does make you think about what would happen if you were flying down a motorway at 70mph and hit a wasp bang smack in the middle of the Seat badge. Would the system kick in and cause all sorts of chaos?
'
It would to the wasp.

These detection systems work by radar - it ain't going to pick up a wasp but the resulting 'splat' might bring up the 'sensor impared' message.
Doesn't the system get disabled at speeds over 40Mph?

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
No, it works up to 156mph - (I wish!).

At that speed it is unlikely to stop dead before it hits something but it will reduce the impact.

·
Registered
41 Posts
So I finally experienced the car braking for itself yesterday. In a deserted multi-storey car park. No obstacles in front, low speed. I drive in to that car park almost every day and it has never happened before. Very disconcerting. Can't figure out why it would have done it. The car might have been a bit wet, but otherwise clean - nothing blocking the sensor.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
Likelihood is that the front sensor picked up the concrete wall as you turned one of the numerous corners in a multi-storey car park. Mine once picked up the cars on the right hand side as I swung round wide to go up a ramp. This is the same way it picks up grassy banks on twisting country lanes. I've only had a couple of verbal warnings recently but this is still unnerving. One particular corner I used to enjoy in other cars now has to be taken much more slowly.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Is there any way to turn this off or reduce the sensitivity as I have two children one is 4 months old?

·
Registered
41 Posts
yeah that's the weird thing, I was going along a straight bit, near no corners when it happened. Oddly it coincided with me turning around as I thought I heard a noise off to my left which sort of startled me. But the car was driving straight, and not at anything. It made a weird grinding noise as it stopped. It didnt even come to a complete halt now i think about it, but the front-assist logo was on the display.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
You can reduce the sensitivity through the screen menus. You can't turn it off, it might affect your insurance if you did as that feature is part of the NCAP safety ratings.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Correct, my point was that it could not be permanently turned off. There may be safety reasons why you need to disable it temporarily.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Its not an intelligent enough system in my opinion. I never had these issues with my Toyota but VW's system is so simplistic that it is flawed. Sometimes a car slowing down in front of you to turn left will cause the car to brake even though you have turned the steering wheel to the right so cannot possibly collide with the car. All because the system only recognises your speed versus the car in front slowing down and does not factor direction of travel before deciding to jam the brakes on like we do as drivers.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I get the big warning Sign with audible warning but never had auto brakes engaged...Dont know why.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Same with me, audible signal pretty much on a daily basis but I'm yet to get the braking element and I have not adjusted any settings.

61 - 80 of 93 Posts