Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
I'd give it my praise if you were not stuck with leather seats if you wanted a 4WD DSG. I see the Irish escape with a lower spec 150 engine which isn't in Xcellance trim although as I recall elsewhere in Europe Xcellance come in cloth as well, the Irish get a choice of brown or black leather in the Ecellance. Just myopic management in the UK on this rather than pedantic train spotters that like rules and regulations which us Brits are suppose to embellish whilst we pipe smoke reciting the desired Ateca spec etc. Have to import one from Ireland get it in Cappuccino as well but then I'd lament not having the 190 engine. Just take my money and spend it elsewhere not on Seat and think of the joys of not having a hot sticky bum in the summer and a cold one in the winter till the seat warmer came on. You get the digital display, heads up option, sliding rears seats, trays with a bigger boot, more cubby storage holes although not so pretty but VW dealerships round here that aren't so manky as Seat ones.

I detect a press hand out in that article. They could have said the Leon handles as a Golf and the Ateca handles as a Tiguan but no, the parent has to be a Leon (the Seat hand out). I'm really not expecting my Tiguan when I buy one due to frustration with Seat UK on their spec will handle too differently from my Altea. The Altea has a cross wind thing in it which compensates for cross winds, that's always driven as a car, the steering is fly by wire. Perhaps I should be looking at the centre of gravity of the Altea verses the Tiguan and it's weight. You don't race heavy bits of metal around corners but perhaps I'm getting too old. The article is trying to appeal to Leon boys that won't be the market for the Ateca, just middle aged girls and guys as the Altea looking for something sensible albeit without the leather seats.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think that may be the whole point of moving away from the altea shape to the crossover. To appeal to a wider group. They want to appeal to lower age groups, possibly why they haven't referenced the altea at all. I am 30 and have bought one. There won't be many 18 year olds in one but there certainly may be lots of 26+year old ex Leon boy racers with a family that buy one, having outgrown the Leon. It's an attempt to keep the young drivers it already has it in its cars. A decision can be based purely on practicality alone even if it's driving style doesn't justify the Leon comparison. Just my take.

With pcp deals so popular now days we don't need to be cash rich either to get in one. We also have to remember with VW, Seat and Skoda all working closely together, the marketing has to be different to even justify such closely competitive cars being released in a similar time span. Seat for the young, Skoda for the sensible and VW the marquee name holding the whole thing up, but priced accordingly. Even if when you break the cars down there is not an awful lot different aside from shape and badge. It may well be that Seat doesn't want to offer cars that suit everyone (at least initially), but just their target audience that suit the brand.

·
Registered
6 Posts
@Tell - you've made some really good contributions here, and I would like to thank you for that but with the greatest respect I think you need to get over the leather seat 'issue' and not bring it up on every thread!

·
Premium Member
223 Posts
Here is the full Seat press release announcing their win:

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

The new SEAT Ateca has opened its honours account in style, claiming the Best Crossover title on its first appearance in the Auto Express New Car Awards.

SEAT's first SUV signalled its quality by seeing off competition that included some of the best sellers in what has become a pivotal part of the market, including the Hyundai Tucson, Nissan Qashqai and Renault Kadjar. The result puts down a valuable marker for the Ateca's all-round appeal, as the model progresses towards its hotly anticipated arrival in UK showrooms in September.

Its success was part of a formidable across-the-board performance by SEAT in this year's awards, with four other models posting Commended results too: Leon (previously a three-time winner) in the Compact Family Car class, Leon ST in Estate, Leon CUPRA 290 (another returning title-holder) for Hot Hatch and the new Alhambra for MPV.

Commenting on the Ateca's success, Auto Express Editor Graham Hope said: "The Ateca has made a dramatic entry into the crossover class and is a particularly impressive first effort from SEAT. It offers everything that is great about the Leon in a superb-looking new package, and blends excellent performance with decent practicality and strong value for money. It's a compelling new crossover option for buyers."

The judges' opinions follow hot on the heels of a top five-star rating for the Ateca in the first UK road test in the latest issue of the same magazine. In its detailed scrutiny of the 2.0 TDI 150 XCELLENCE 4Drive model, the magazine declared it "follows in the footsteps of the Leon and goes straight to the top of the class."

Richard Harrison, SEAT UK Director, said: "This is a fantastic result for Ateca and adds to the great momentum that it's developing as it nears showroom launch, including the 13,000 members of the British public who have already stated their interest in buying one. The award is testament to what an enticing all-round package Ateca is, as a desirable, high-tech, stylish and well-built SUV it is, in this ever burgeoning part of the market."

Attachments

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Rob. Hadn't seen that anywhere. Did you pull that from the Seat website? We shall see if any more awards follow. Is it September yet? :)

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
SeatFan said:
@Tell - you've made some really good contributions here, and I would like to thank you for that but with the greatest respect I think you need to get over the leather seat 'issue' and not bring it up on every thread!
I might be warming to leather seats if the discount was great enough. I have a veggie partner who obviously doesn't like sitting on dead animal skins so it is a real issue to ask your partner to drive a car that isn't animal friendly or even sit in it. The cows are killed for their leather not to eat, leather isn't a by-product of the slaughter for meat but the reason for the animals to be slaughtered in the first place for the leather trade.

Then there is the issue of how comfortable they are and touch. I like the touch of cloth and find leather tacky. If leather bucket seats work well then perhaps one wouldn't notice them except on hot and cold days. Back seats you could cover them with a car blanket and perhaps if that doesn't slip off then anything placed on it wouldn't slip off either - dunno. Did try out the Alhambra leather seats to give an idea and I can't say I liked them.

Pitty that Seat UK doesn't appreciate that some customers want the same choice of cloth or leather as our European friends have rather than being railroaded into leather only for the 4WD DSG.

·
Registered
165 Posts
@tell You can, as a non standard order, enquire about special colours that arent in the brochure, hence why you often see daft colour Audis on the road, again theres a price associated with that. Seat responsibly source their leather, if you watch the Geneva motor show interview with the Seat boss it talks about this, again i have enjoyed reading your post up until now where your stance on leather is becoming a little repetitive, are you going to ask for cloth steering wheel and gear nob too? You can again ultimately request via your dealership for a special build where this would be possible, i know Jag and Landrover offer it where people dont want leather seats. Or want daft red leather seats, but again theres a price attached. My point being is and you know it yourself youll never get the tec spec, heated seats, technology etc for anywhere near the price Seat are selling an xcellence for when it comes to the Tiguan. So pays your money makes your choice, no offence intended by this post.

Ps to have heated seats or winter pack in the Tiguan you need the optional £2000 leather seats

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
You can have the heated seats without leather in the R-Line. It's the leather seats that are the option in the basic R-Line model as an addon. Seat have bundled the leather seats at "no cost" in the Xcellence and the only way of getting a 4Drive in the UK is with the leather seats, I wouldn't entertain a special order. It's just narrow minded of Seat to rail road customer into leather seats. Saying that I have had special dispensations for the last two weeks from the veggie partner that I could buy an Ateca with the leather seats. Current thinking I will have to put up with them but it must turn off for a lot of people off, committed vegetarians wouldn't buy one for starters. I just find leather furniture uncomfortable and sticky. Will probably just have to cover the leather seats up. Did do a check on covers so welcome any advise from anybody who has fitted covers to car leather seats. It is just ridiculous that Seat have railroaded it customers into leather in the UK. I see in the Leon it hasn't.

You can argue that the limited spec that Seat have on the Ateca offer is why they gave customers the option to crowd source one combined spec to cover up their own reduction of the spec offered elsewhere in Europe. Whether crowd sourcing turns into orders that will be seen. This reductions can't be due to getting a good price on the models unless leather is over priced and they just bunged it in. The latter I think to demonstrate what you get for your money, but be able to delete leather is what they should have done. Most red meat eating Seat owners won't be bothered about leather or even the reduced comfort of it.

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Magpie86 said:
I think that may be the whole point of moving away from the altea shape to the crossover. To appeal to a wider group. They want to appeal to lower age groups, possibly why they haven't referenced the altea at all. I am 30 and have bought one. There won't be many 18 year olds in one but there certainly may be lots of 26+year old ex Leon boy racers with a family that buy one, having outgrown the Leon. It's an attempt to keep the young drivers it already has it in its cars. A decision can be based purely on practicality alone even if it's driving style doesn't justify the Leon comparison. Just my take.

With pcp deals so popular now days we don't need to be cash rich either to get in one. We also have to remember with VW, Seat and Skoda all working closely together, the marketing has to be different to even justify such closely competitive cars being released in a similar time span. Seat for the young, Skoda for the sensible and VW the marquee name holding the whole thing up, but priced accordingly. Even if when you break the cars down there is not an awful lot different aside from shape and badge. It may well be that Seat doesn't want to offer cars that suit everyone (at least initially), but just their target audience that suit the brand.
The Altea was launched for the young and the sporty types. Seat marketed it as a multiple sports vehicle (MSV) rather than an MPV and claimed a new segment with it. It's just older people bought them. I check out the age group of Altea drivers then and now and it's the same. It will be interesting to see whether the Leon crowd buy the Ateca but it does amuse me considerably when you see people driving SUVs with the seats set down low pretending they have a sporty car and haven't got the idea that SUVs give you the upright seating position. That's why more mature people buy the upright seating cars due to backache and ease of getting in and out. It will get you in the end, although I do know of 70 year olds that own and drive antique sports cars and have their day to day other car again as another low hung all modern car. There is a fan base of low hung cars that stretches the age bands. It comes down to whether you get backache or not and when you surrender driving or sitting in these cars by choice. The Altea (sister of the Golf Plus) brought in the people that liked the high seating position of the car which were not necessary those that did the kite surfing as I recall the advert at the time. Ateca will be families, schools runs and the mature type. But we will see. Plenty mature types drive SUVs :D. I want the 4drive to get out of difficulties when I move to the country and for European runs were I've had a few close shaves with getting stranded in snow.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ha fair enough Tell. I didn't even know the altea existed until my grand parents bought a new one! Got a top spec at massively discounted prices 6 months ago. It seemed nice enough but the Ateca (from pictures) seems a lot more up market. People buy different shaped cars for all different reasons, you may want the odd 4x4 jaunt, I want the raised height for loading the kids in etc. I think Seat are just jumping on a successful bandwagon and hoping the sales follow. They don't care the age of the buyers.

First edition wise, from what I remember leather was never an option from the crowd sourced spec. It was never in the ball park, no question was asked leather vs cloth. I reckon that has more to do with Seat not wanting the first edition to be priced at a higher price point than an Xcellence (but still lacking in some obvious "not chosen" options), or conversely obviously out stripping an Xcellence spec and taking buyers towards a cheaper first edition spec due to the discounting, who would have probably bought an Xcellence regardless. They wanted people like me to buy one that has no interest in half the top spec stuff, but certainly wanted the car quickly and at a half reasonable price. May be out of line there but that's my thoughts.

Can appreciate its crazy when Europe has the option and even the first edition sold in the UK has precisely what you want in some aspects. A delete button for leather wouldn't kill them, even if it doesn't cut the cost of ownership. Like you say, think you may need to accept the frustration and go with a cover and just be glad u have saved yourself a lot over a Tiguan :)

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
What I leant practically from the Tiguan in the showroom is how the electronic handbrake worked with DSG. I could just use it on auto although the German guy in the video says put auto off when parking in a garage. Rest of the time you can forget it.

As for boot space if you have a spare wheel you can pull out the formed plastic spacing and use all of the space. The Ateca in 4x4 looses half the depth of the lower area of the boot floor (1/2 a tyres width with the skinny taking up the space, missing half the 4x4 axle) so boot space is a premium in the lower region if you currently use that space, I do in my Altea with a two level boot with full size spare fitted, cramming in stuff around the spare wheel (emergency oil, light, electric pump etc). Getting rid of the formed plastic gives more space. Everything you stuff down there will keep everything in place and I don't think the plastic former is used by the sub woofer to improve base sound if you have the Seat sound system - I'm not bothered. The VW guy said I could remove the plastic former, so I'll do that with the Ateca, used to hold the tools etc. It was clear that I would have to prune back what I normally carry out. Certainly the Ateca I saw was pre production the boot floor had not been finished off and had a hardboard cover that flopped about. The videos show a normal fitted upper floor.

After going in circles for a bit came back down in favour of the Ateca more on aesthetics, reported handling, first generation model and probably won't be renewed too soon. Will have to lump those leather seats if I can't find a solution. Colour was an issue after much debate decided on the silver on the basis of dark colours picking up heat and black leather seats won't help. Think light silver works in a car with good body lines but makes a car with bad lines look even older. Some VWs in point. Could have done with that more bronze silver colour that Seat aren't doing at the minute. Dark cars get side impacted if you look at them. Don't think your Orange one would, but the Rodium Grey would be susceptible to that. So rejected Rodium Grey on side impact and heat grounds. Pearl white had me thinking about it for an hour or so today but walked across a playing field and looked at the cars parked up and rejected white. The VW silver which is the Ateca one looked better.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Magpie86 said:
Ha fair enough Tell. I didn't even know the altea existed until my grand parents bought a new one! Got a top spec at massively discounted prices 6 months ago. It seemed nice enough but the Ateca (from pictures) seems a lot more up market. People buy different shaped cars for all different reasons, you may want the odd 4x4 jaunt, I want the raised height for loading the kids in etc. I think Seat are just jumping on a successful bandwagon and hoping the sales follow. They don't care the age of the buyers.

First edition wise, from what I remember leather was never an option from the crowd sourced spec. It was never in the ball park, no question was asked leather vs cloth.
I have been round the houses looking at the best SUV for the money, i currently drive an Audi A3 2.0tdi S-Line Quatro and at 26 and about to get married i thought my next purchase had better be more suitable for a family etc.

I personally love the spec you get for £28k on the xcellence compared to what you would get on a Tiguan, second hand Q5 or a second hand XC60. To name a few, LED lights, Leather interior, 4Drive all of which are very costly optional extras on the new tiguan. I don't mind the leather interior like im sure a large proportion of the target market will, im sure and from experience know, its easier to wipe clean leather than shampoo cloth interior and i imagine when and if we start a family ill appreciate it more. I too have a Mrs who is a harcore Vegitarian, i have to cook and handle all meat separately if im cooking but she knows that leather seats are just a by product and its good that the leather is repurposed rather than simply wasted. Top spec for the money! Dont think youll be able to beat it!

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm definitely less fussy with getting the top spec. The first edition has more than enough kit on it for me, and I don't do the miles to require a diesel or 4x4. Before the price saving from the first edition was revealed I was just looking at an SE with possibly either keyless entry or the pano roof. But for slightly more cash I get an awful lot more car.

They seem excellently priced across the board for what you get though, like you say!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.