1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It does vary between manual & DSG gear boxes

Manual - on and active brake lights on

DSG - on and active brake lights off

Least with my DSG did another test today.

Ideally you don't want to blind the person behind. Any other DSG drivers feel free to test.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Yeah it's weird the lights stay on, as most cars have the brake light switch in the pedal assembly..

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
165 Posts
As its the Hydraulic Brake being held (pedal) it would seem fit for the brake light to stay on! (As explained in another post in another thread)
Not sure why it would be any different in the DSG though.

Ps: i don't dare plug the VAG com in incase i break it somehow whilst still under warranty!

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Probably allowing us DSG drivers to do the right thing which is not dazzle drivers behind, manual drivers have to work at it. As mused autohold and electric parking brakes would have been developed for the automatic market so there use in manuals probably hasn't been thought throu as evidenced by VW changing their mind on how it should work on manuals.

Manual drivers around here are keeping the autohold on so the parking brake is fully automated. For DSG when you finish driving you slip it into park and just forget about it never having to touch it. I guess 99 percent of manual drivers who don't park on hills aren't touching it either but zapping drivers behind... least we aren't:).

I was taken back earlier before when people hadn't got their cars and manual drivers kept them in gear, clutch in, on foot break and passed the test. Same school as not indicating at junctions and roundabouts.

Wiki places the development of electric parking brake at BMW 7 Series (2002) and then VW:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_Park_Brake

·
Registered
334 Posts
You wouldn't pass your test doing that Tell. It's just a bad habit people pick up. Me included!

Don't have to keep my foot on the brake anymore tho :)

Not sure I see the problem with whether the brake lights stay on or not when autohold is engaged. Are they really that blinding!?

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When you been motoring as long as I you get bad tempered ;). The out of gear thing is so if you get hit you don't jump forward, one suspects that people possibly keep it in gear to make a fast get away. Traditionally it was the automatic drivers that were accused of blinding the people behind with the high intensity lights by not dropping it into park. You would not since that's not the style of driving an automatic until high intensity lights started to be fitted to stop rear end shunts. Then automatic drivers became the bogue men of the motoring press by not taking the car into park at traffic lights / junctions etc so those in the queue behind didn't get dazzled. Still with autohold in the DSG version we are now angels whilst the manual Ateca owners have to work at not dazzling their fellow road users... over to Vagg then...

·
Registered
189 Posts
Magpie86 said:
You wouldn't pass your test doing that Tell. It's just a bad habit people pick up. Me included!

Don't have to keep my foot on the brake anymore tho :)

Not sure I see the problem with whether the brake lights stay on or not when autohold is engaged. Are they really that blinding!?
It's a pet rant of mine, and yes it is especially as rear lights get brighter it's very tiring on the eyes, and yes there's a specific bit in the Highway Code about not dazzling other road users (which is why I reckon flashing bike lights should be banned as well.)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Tell said:
Probably allowing us DSG drivers to do the right thing which is not dazzle drivers behind
Yeah but then you panic the driver behind when your car momentarily switches through reverse, flashing your reverse lights, to get back to drive. Usually just Mercedes vans that do this, but still gives you a little 'eek' moment :)

I can confirm that my 1.6 TDI manual does keep the brake lights lit, and I would prefer them to not be, but I can't imagine it's anything I can change in the settings.

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That would be Vagcom but I haven't seen anything. Depends whether this issue appeared on VWs and anyone has published a fix. The behaviour of the automatic doing the right thing and the manual the wrong thing underlines that VW haven't got their act together on this one.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts