Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just been studying the manual for my new car ( what else is there to do on Friday night!) and I note it goes on to talk in length about the battery with a cover over it.

However my car does not have a battery cover in the engine bay, I know there are no longer good quality plastic boxes expected some form of cover over like my old Leon had.

So my question do you follow owners have a battery cover?

·
Registered
979 Posts
Now that's weird and something we have not identified before :eek: I was going to put my shoes on and go and take a photo of my battery but then thought ah no all those video reviews ;) Anyhow back to the point. As you can see from the three images below the top 1.0 TSI engine does not come with a cover while the 1.4 TSI and 1.6 TDI below it do. Anybody think of a reason why this was omitted on the 1.o? :?

Hood Motor vehicle Light Vehicle Black

Attachments

·
Registered
778 Posts
No idea why, although taking a wild guess... it looks a bit like lagging, something to do with the Winter Pack? A nice battery insulation blanket?

You can tell I haven't a clue but it's the closest guess I could come up with :ugeek:

·
Registered
979 Posts
Etchings said:
No idea why, although taking a wild guess... it looks a bit like lagging, something to do with the Winter Pack? A nice battery insulation blanket?

You can tell I haven't a clue but it's the closest guess I could come up with :ugeek:
mmm possible. It appears these covers are for several reasons. Protect battery from heat of engine, corrosion or exploding & cold in winter. We need someone without the winter pack on a higher trim to see if it too is missing the cover.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/gds/Your-Guide-to-Understanding-Car-Battery-Covers-/10000000178693874/g.html

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Cheapskates more like. Seat stopped fitting the engine cover to the Altea after a number of years. Then they dropped the understorey parcel shelf as well.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Tell said:
Cheapskates more like. Seat stopped fitting the engine cover to the Altea after a number of years. Then they dropped the understorey parcel shelf as well.
Wow Tell your really going all negative with SEAT at the moment aren't you :shock: I really don't understand why you bought another one that you intend to keep for 10 years when you feel like this? You should have gone pcp on a more exclusive and expensive car that you actually liked rather than paying all off for one you don't :(

·
Registered
237 Posts
Tell said:
All my altea ranging from a 54 07 10 13 plate all had understorey shelf double boot etc only reason I didn't get another one is that they replaced it with the Ateca I've not noticed any penny pinching over the years with them
Rather pleased they discontinued the altea now didn't think that a year ago !

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Tell said:
More rubbish comments about the Ateca! Give it up Tell, I doubt that any of the other new owners on the forum feel that way. If you are not satisfied with your Ateca then get rid of it and buy a Bentayga - although I expect you would moan about that.

·
Registered
778 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Golfmk56 said:
OK I give up - what on earth is an understory shelf?
It was a tray that fitted underneath the parcel shelf that you could store light items on

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Kindness71 said:
We need someone without the winter pack on a higher trim to see if it too is missing the cover.
I don't have the winter pack and I do have a battery cover.

It's clearly the cheapskate version. I would have expected a nice padded leather one, but I expect that would get hot and sweaty in the summer. :lol:

·
Registered
931 Posts
Lcchull said:
Golfmk56 said:
It was a tray that fitted underneath the parcel shelf that you could store light items on
Cheers Lcchull. Just had a look on google pics and found... ONE !!! picture of said shelf. Wasn't exactly popular was it? :lol:

And by the looks of it, no wonder! What idiot designed that contraption - the phrase 'not fit for purpose' springs to mind. I've seen other manufacturers use a far better solution - simply fit a net under the parcel shelve - it'll hold your items without them moving around - dead simple and peanuts to manufacture. Understory shelf indeed. :oops:

·
Registered
237 Posts
Golfmk56 said:
Lcchull said:
Golfmk56 said:
Cheers Lcchull. Just had a look on google pics and found... ONE !!! picture of said shelf. Wasn't exactly popular was it? :lol:

And by the looks of it, no wonder! What idiot designed that contraption - the phrase 'not fit for purpose' springs to mind. I've seen other manufacturers use a far better solution - simply fit a net under the parcel shelve - it'll hold your items without them moving around - dead simple and peanuts to manufacture. Understory shelf indeed. :oops:
Always too mine out as they were useless in a car is ok in the shed to store car cleaning gear etc oops never put it back in the old car when I got rid of it !

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Fred99 said:
Tell said:
More rubbish comments about the Ateca! Give it up Tell, I doubt that any of the other new owners on the forum feel that way. If you are not satisfied with your Ateca then get rid of it and buy a Bentayga - although I expect you would moan about that.
I see some people know what these bits are if you don't Freddie !. As pointed out it was an understorey tray to the parcel shelf held by one catch. The emergency vest, odd map book you never used could go there. Was a useful storage area that covered the whole underside of the parcel shelf accessed from the boot. These clever storage areas left out of the Ateca.

The Altea was the Golf Plus sister so had a bit of luxury:).

·
Registered
778 Posts
Fred99 said:
Kindness71 said:
We need someone without the winter pack on a higher trim to see if it too is missing the cover.
I don't have the winter pack and I do have a battery cover.

It's clearly the cheapskate version. I would have expected a nice padded leather one, but I expect that would get hot and sweaty in the summer. :lol:
Thanks Fred - so clearly not winter pack; might be heat insulation for the larger engines then? :? :?:

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Cost saying or they ran out of covers to fit. The partners Punto came new with the wrong battery so that's remained an issue since that has a bucket that it fits in non standard for a diesel. Europarts pull up the correct heavy duty diesel battery off their system whilst this one came a petrol battery.... a Friday car. So you have to scratch around for a small heavy duty battery or the closest you can get.

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Golfmk56 said:
Lcchull said:
Golfmk56 said:

It did have a design fault. Winter was fine but in the summer the pins that it hung from bent so you slammed the tailgate down and the shelf sprang open or you would travelling and hear it drop down. Other than that a useful thing 10 months a year. I was going to build the pins up but never got round to it. Baggage inside was also an issue, so slam down and it would hit your holiday bags and would open.

On the TDI engine cover I know Freddie didn't believe me, proof. Just Seat cost cutting, shaving bits off.

http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=136170

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Tell said:
On the TDI engine cover I know Freddie didn't believe me, proof. Just Seat cost cutting, shaving bits off.
You are on the wrong page again!

I said nothing about engine covers. This thread is about battery covers - the clue is in the thread title in case you are confused.

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Clue is in the title Seat cost cutting.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts