Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.

I am quite in love with this new Seat masterpiece! A bit more expensive than I have planned my new car would cost, but it seems really perfect for my needs.
I almost managed to convince also my wife, but there is a catch. She is willing to accept the higher-than-expected price tag if we will be able to transport easily our two mountain bikes in the trunk. Is it so spacious (back seats folded, of course)?
Does two bikes fit in the trunk? Upside down? Flat on the floor? Is it necessary to disassemble the front wheels?

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
979 Posts
Welcom Thomy :D I haven't tried yet with my mountain bike but believe you will find no problem getting two full size mountain bikes laid flat without the need to take wheels off. I used to get my bike in my previous car a Dacia Duster without problem and that had a smaller boot :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hiya, I was easily able to get my road bike in the boot with it on its side without removing the front wheel, so two bikes should be fine

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you!

I have two small car and I am not use to such an abundance of space.

Fine... Now I think I need to go shopping.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Thomy said:
Is it so spacious (back seats folded, of course)? Does two bikes fit in the trunk? Upside down? Flat on the floor? Is it necessary to disassemble the front wheels?

Thanks for your help!
'
Two bikes in trunk no problem - no need to remove wheels.

If you're in to cycling, one thing I haven't been able to determine is rear carriers. As you may know, lot's of modern hatch cars aren't compatible with rear cycle carriers due to their construction (whether its because of a plastic spoiler or even plastic used in construction of the tailgate - helps reduce weight). The only two ways round this is using a tow-hook carrier - (too expensive for me) or mounting them on the roof ( too dangerous for my liking). So like you, ours go inside.

One of my future plans is to make up a cheap mounting board as the bikes will easily fit in standing up. I did it for my last car, something like this:

·
Registered
11 Posts
have you made the above??? if so i will give you my wife and kids and my old panini sticker collection if you was to make me one please!!! if not where did you buy it from? i have thought of something similar for a long time but wasn't sure how to secure the front forks.

·
Registered
931 Posts
There were a couple of firms made similar designs to this but were a tad expensive. But it's so easy to do DIY

1: All I used in my previous cars was a length of 18mm plywood. (screwed down on one of my cars, but my last one just fitted perfectly over the width of the boot so it didn't budge).

2: cover it with adhesive carpet (stuff car audio folk use to cover speaker boxes and trim out car trunks)

3: and buy these: http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Delta-Bike-Hitch-Pro-In-Car-Rack_46651.htm?sku=122187&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=google_shopping&gclid=CLWCo5vCsdMCFZYy0wodHqcO5A#

And Bob's your uncle! If you're really fancy, you can add a mount to stop your front front wheel from moving around too.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I logged on to post the same thing Brookes did! Where can you buy such a thing and how many family members does it cost.
Still, if I have to make it from scratch... I might as well build an Ateca from screws and bolts. I am not proficient in... stuff!

But thanks for the info Golfmk... Very nice idea indeed.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Thomy said:
I logged on to post the same thing Brookes did! Where can you buy such a thing and how many family members does it cost.
Still, if I have to make it from scratch... I might as well build an Ateca from screws and bolts. I am not proficient in... stuff!

But thanks for the info Golfmk... Very nice idea indeed.
'
There used to be several solutions on the market - all way too expensive for what they actually were. If you're looking for one of the cheapest then Saris does one: https://www.etrailer.com/Truck-Bed-Bike-Racks/Swagman/S64702.html
(It works for internal too.)

Not many people realise that VAG actually sell a solution - look at this:

http://www.parksparts.co.uk/product/Interior_bicycle_holder_LAH720003

But at £270 !!!!! :lol: Now that's taking the piss.

But to be honest - even if you don't go to the trouble of using routers, spray adhesive etc to make it look professional - a saw, a lump of wood from wickes (or the rubbish tip) and a screwdriver is all you need.
Can't get much more basic than this: Personally I would have added a couple of lengths of wood at 90 degrees each end running down the side of the trunk to give it extra stability, and then drilled a hole on each side, fed through rope and tied it to the metal securing loops on the floor of your Ateca...

Or you can get loads of ideas:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=bike+carriers+inside+car&client=firefox-b&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi36u3gx7LTAhWRL1AKHfr9DSQQsAQIuwE&biw=1440&bih=809#q=bike+carriers+inside+car&tbm=isch&tbs=rimg:CQOMp75Aw8RVIjjFTqA2hhGdiyUqeNkpUSw4320qWlnfKiwUQM9eK3IpGWhSsYORL1HY-SfJNk5uqN2MNbo5Kv_1yASoSCcVOoDaGEZ2LEdUKm31DtwfSKhIJJSp42SlRLDgR5uFoDv-vdewqEgnfbSpaWd8qLBFTS6I8llDzCSoSCRRAz14rcikZETsaXP2dTDZyKhIJaFKxg5EvUdgR_1xuY1anyC24qEgn5J8k2Tm6o3REFolDh2d_1IaSoSCYw1ujkq_1_1IBEfuUkODZUgeC&imgrc=uPCmtU4nVEwFLM:

Edit: Just noticed Saris also have this type available now.

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Saris-Tracks-Triple-Track-Can-Hold-Up-To-4-Bikes_38837.htm?sku=95305&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=google_shopping&gclid=CM_9hJ3ZstMCFWwq0wode18OzQ#

1 - 9 of 9 Posts