Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Plastic luggage compartment tray - for vehicles with variable floor.

Sales pitch states - "Adapts to the dimensions of the upper floor of the luggage compartment. For vehicles with a double floor only."

Has anyone bought this mat? I am wondering how it "adapts" to the dimensions of the upper floor. Does this mean it fits both the lower floor and the upper floor?

In fact: Has anyone bought any of the official Seat boot mats? Any recommendations for the variable floor? Do I need two mats?

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
That is the mat I bought. It's very non slip. It fits in the 4wd with the spare but as you say it is suppose to fit in other models.

Basically the Ateca has a very slippery carpet least for the 4wd so everything flies about on it. My chiller box was knocking off the light cluster on the tailgate which would drop onto the road when the tailgate was lifted. It was stupid. The Seat parts guy at the dealerships knew that the carpet was slippery, a known fault.

Mcderms recommended it to me, Saggy said she did, they can argue about who did but anything placed on the rubber side of the mat sticks to it. I did take pictures of it you can find them here

http://atecaforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=400&p=4539&hilit=chiller+box#p4539

The other thing discussed with Kindness recently is boot trays. I've never had one. That stops grot falling onto the lower level. The mat described is good for general use if you are planning on carrying messy stuff a boot trays may be good. The obvious question is how much slippage you get on those surfaces - pass. Whether you can put one of these mats in one - pass. But if you want something to stop your shopping and whatever you put in the boot not moving, I can highly recommend it. Everything thing remains fairly stuck down to where you put it. The chiller box has never crashed into the tailgate again.

My lower floor has the spare and Seat sound system plus small area for tools. I pass on what you might place on the lower area since I haven't got a usable lower floor, it's taken. I can cram a few bits in which some with the moulding, there are pictures posted up here.

I suppose you could buy one. See if it fits the lower area and make a decision if you need two. Alternatively you might be planning to carry grot about and need a boot liner. People with space by both and take the boot liner out when not in use.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Tell said:
That is the mat I bought. It's very non slip. It fits in the 4wd with the spare but as you say it is suppose to fit in other models.

Basically the Ateca has a very slippery carpet least for the 4wd so everything flies about on it. My chiller box was knocking off the light cluster on the tailgate which would drop onto the road when the tailgate was lifted. It was stupid. The Seat parts guy at the dealerships knew that the carpet was slippery, a known fault.

Mcderms recommended it to me, Saggy said she did, they can argue about who did but anything placed on the rubber side of the mat sticks to it. I did take pictures of it you can find them here
Tell - for the record, I'm absolutely certain Saggy and I have better things to do than argue with each other about who recommended a boot mat to you !!

Now let's get one thing clear - please do not even try to suggest there is, or should be, any friction or agument between me and any other member of this forum about something, including suggesting or inferring such to any other member in posts you make. And quite frankly you're at it again where Saggy is concerned, trying to make her look stupid. There is nothing about the tone in which this is written by you to suggest you're trying to be humurous; if you are, you've failed :!:

If you've got nothing more sensible to say than this kind of stupid thing, then please say nothing. If you think you have then please give me your response in due course; happy to listen to your explanation for this.....

Howeve, if you start this same kind of stupidity with me that you've started with your continual references to Saggy in other posts, I won't tolerate it, so please take note. And I thank you ! Cheers !
:D

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
You two rattle off and I don't bother to read the rest. As far as I'm concerned you recommended it too me and I thank you for that. You will find it on that thread you two rattling on about who recommended it. I put it down to you.

I noted the whole day went and the original poster never got a reply whilst sensible threads on the safety of the DSG start stop continue to be messed up in a childish manner.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Dear dasalias

I'm sorry I didn't answer your post. It was because I couldn't help you with your question as I have no experience of the tray you are talking about

as to the rest of the post :

Pistols at dawn MackyD !!!!

·
Registered
918 Posts
Tell - go back & read the thread; not a crossed word between me &'Saggy about who recommended the boot mat to you; maybe just a bit of humour which, sadly, is lacking from your memory, which is a shame really. :(

Do you know the difference between an argument and an apology; if anything I apologised to Saggy for not seeing her earlier post on the subject, or for forgetting that she had done.

http://atecaforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=400

Im even more annoyed that your twisted recollection, or how you want to portray it to others, is just plainly WRONG WRONG WRONG !

It's clear to me now that you could "start a fight in an empty room" - but I don't expect that to change - ever.

Also, maybe this whole forum and some of its members are not yet sufficiently "mature" for a man of your obvious maturity and intellect; or perhaps it's just that others are not as obsessed by certain issues as you are? I dont think either of those things will be reconciled any time soon, but that's just life!

The rest of us have jobs to do and other things to deal with, and lack the time to join in on your envangelism, especially on the start/stop thing! Go to Milton Keynes or wherever and Tell VW yourself, man :D :D :D You're retired, you have the luxury :D :D :D

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow - It wasn't my intention to start WW3!

Thanks for the replies.

Tell - does the reversible mat cover the entire upper tray or is it short (front to back)?

According to Horton's, the choices for my 2WD, Variable floor, space saver spare wheel, no sub are:

575061201A - Reversible Mat
575061201 - Upper Floor Tray Only
575061201C - High Edge for Lower Tray Only

Nothing fits upper and lower tray, so still undecided what to go for. High Edge could be favourite.

·
Registered
918 Posts
dasalias said:
Wow - It wasn't my intention to start WW3!.
:lol: :lol:
Don't worry, dasalias, that was just a shot across the bow to Tell for making it seem like, in his response to you, that me and Saggy were fighting over who made the original recommendation to him! I don't mind being quoted as long as it's accurate, but it most definitely was not! :evil:

I have the reversible mat, which is a little short (front to back) in the boot space, and leaves the sides free where things can be stored next to the wheel arches. Yes, as it doesn't have high sides, it wouldn't hold spills, it other than that it does a good protection job and stops things from sliding about.

As ours is 4WD and has spare wheel, it doesn't have the dual level floor.

I also have a Polo with dual floor and the 'tray''is foam with slightly raised sides. It is for the upper level but, as its flexible, it will fit the lower level without needing cut to fit. VW sell two sizes for the Polo, as does SEAT. if you don't opt for the reversible, perhaps try to see if you can establish how the other two might fit, in practice, on both floor levels before you buy? :D :D

·
Registered
57 Posts
Bloody hell, you can't read a thread without some kind of post to have a pop at each other. It's getting boring now and not what I joined up to read....may as well go back to school.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Steveateca said:
Bloody hell, you can't read a thread without some kind of post to have a pop at each other. It's getting boring now and not what I joined up to read....may as well go back to school.
I'm actually very much with you on that! I didn't join up expecting to have to defend myself against individuals talking [email protected] about me either, Steve, or suggesting to others that I'm fighting about stupid things with other members - when I'm not !
However, if it gets said publicly, for my part, I'll deal with it publicly. To do otherwise is to allow others to misrepresent me. :D

·
Registered
71 Posts
When we went to the dealers on Saturday in the showroom the had an Ateca with its boot open and a lovely rubber boot mat with Ateca moulded in on the front edge. Looked lovely can be bought as part of a pack (as always) but dealer said could by separately at £80. Ask if they would 'throw one' in for us when collect car agreed but we shall see :D

·
Registered
27 Posts
My opinion is that You, mcderms, overreacting.
Every time it looks like you just waiting for Tell to write something that irritates you, and than with a lot of joy impugn/oppugn everything in his post. Just my view, not attacking anyone.

We are all of great help to each other, a good community, and it should stay that way. Just chill sometimes, everyone.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Dangermouse said:
When we went to the dealers on Saturday in the showroom the had an Ateca with its boot open and a lovely rubber boot mat with Ateca moulded in on the front edge. Looked lovely can be bought as part of a pack (as always) but dealer said could by separately at £80. Ask if they would 'throw one' in for us when collect car agreed but we shall see :D
Did the Ateca in which you saw the lovely mat come with, or without, the optional 'space saver spare wheel' do you know?

This is one extra I did not request, and am still not really clear what boot mat options are available to me?

I do rather like the sound of the reversible one, but does that come in 'one size only', and if so would it be a 'wall to wall' fit for my boot, or is there another one, with raised sides, which would perhaps be better?

As I said I am getting a bit confused here, as it appear that there can in effect be two different boot floor sizes, depending on which of the selected options, such as a raised boot floor, and/or a space saving spare wheel have been specified.

Help...!! :?

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
I'm waiting for them to discuss the coefficient of friction since I'm surprised that they haven't got this one measured for each Ateca mat and carpet :).

Mu as it says

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friction

If they aren't discussing it I'm not taking part :). I can't remember whether I did it at school or university but each of those materials in those mats and carpets have their own.

"Dry friction resists relative lateral motion of two solid surfaces in contact. Dry friction is subdivided into static friction ("stiction") between non-moving surfaces, and kinetic friction between moving surfaces."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friction#Coefficient_of_friction

The normal force is defined as the net force compressing two parallel surfaces together; and its direction is perpendicular to the surfaces. In the simple case of a mass resting on a horizontal surface, the only component of the normal force is the force due to gravity, where N = m g. In this case, the magnitude of the friction force is the product of the mass of the object, the acceleration due to gravity, and the coefficient of friction. However, the coefficient of friction is not a function of mass or volume; it depends only on the material. For instance, a large aluminum block has the same coefficient of friction as a small aluminum block. However, the magnitude of the friction force itself depends on the normal force, and hence on the mass of the block.

If an object is on a level surface and the force tending to cause it to slide is horizontal, the normal force N {\displaystyle N\,} N\, between the object and the surface is just its weight, which is equal to its mass multiplied by the acceleration due to earth's gravity, g. If the object is on a tilted surface such as an inclined plane, the normal force is less, because less of the force of gravity is perpendicular to the face of the plane. Therefore, the normal force, and ultimately the frictional force, is determined using vector analysis, usually via a free body diagram. Depending on the situation, the calculation of the normal force may include forces other than gravity.
Coefficient of friction

The coefficient of friction (COF), often symbolized by the Greek letter µ, is a dimensionless scalar value which describes the ratio of the force of friction between two bodies and the force pressing them together. The coefficient of friction depends on the materials used; for example, ice on steel has a low coefficient of friction, while rubber on pavement has a high coefficient of friction. Coefficients of friction range from near zero to greater than one.

For surfaces at rest relative to each other μ = μ s {\displaystyle \mu =\mu _{\mathrm {s} }\,} \mu =\mu _{\mathrm {s} }\,, where μ s {\displaystyle \mu _{\mathrm {s} }\,} \mu _{\mathrm {s} }\, is the coefficient of static friction. This is usually larger than its kinetic counterpart.

For surfaces in relative motion μ = μ k {\displaystyle \mu =\mu _{\mathrm {k} }\,} \mu =\mu _{\mathrm {k} }\,, where μ k {\displaystyle \mu _{\mathrm {k} }\,} \mu _{\mathrm {k} }\, is the coefficient of kinetic friction. The Coulomb friction is equal to F f {\displaystyle F_{\mathrm {f} }\,} F_{\mathrm {f} }\,, and the frictional force on each surface is exerted in the direction opposite to its motion relative to the other surface.

Arthur Morin introduced the term and demonstrated the utility of the coefficient of friction.[11] The coefficient of friction is an empirical measurement - it has to be measured experimentally, and cannot be found through calculations.[citation needed] Rougher surfaces tend to have higher effective values. Both static and kinetic coefficients of friction depend on the pair of surfaces in contact; for a given pair of surfaces, the coefficient of static friction is usually larger than that of kinetic friction; in some sets the two coefficients are equal, such as teflon-on-teflon.

Most dry materials in combination have friction coefficient values between 0.3 and 0.6. Values outside this range are rarer, but teflon, for example, can have a coefficient as low as 0.04. A value of zero would mean no friction at all, an elusive property. Rubber in contact with other surfaces can yield friction coefficients from 1 to 2. Occasionally it is maintained that µ is always < 1, but this is not true. While in most relevant applications µ < 1, a value above 1 merely implies that the force required to slide an object along the surface is greater than the normal force of the surface on the object. For example, silicone rubber or acrylic rubber-coated surfaces have a coefficient of friction that can be substantially larger than 1.

While it is often stated that the COF is a "material property," it is better categorized as a "system property." Unlike true material properties (such as conductivity, dielectric constant, yield strength), the COF for any two materials depends on system variables like temperature, velocity, atmosphere and also what are now popularly described as aging and deaging times; as well as on geometric properties of the interface between the materials. For example, a copper pin sliding against a thick copper plate can have a COF that varies from 0.6 at low speeds (metal sliding against metal) to below 0.2 at high speeds when the copper surface begins to melt due to frictional heating. The latter speed, of course, does not determine the COF uniquely; if the pin diameter is increased so that the frictional heating is removed rapidly, the temperature drops, the pin remains solid and the COF rises to that of a 'low speed' test.
Anyhow I think it's another Ateca design fault where the boot is optimised to slip things in and out, but not when you are moving and stuff flies about. They probably had their testing panel sliding bags in and out of the back but they never took them for a drive in it when the bags were crashing on the side panels. Optimised for loading and unloading but not carrying.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Montala said:
Dangermouse said:
Did the Ateca in which you saw the lovely mat come with, or without, the optional 'space saver spare wheel' do you know?

This is one extra I did not request, and am still not really clear what boot mat options are available to me?

I do rather like the sound of the reversible one, but does that come in 'one size only', and if so would it be a 'wall to wall' fit for my boot, or is there another one, with raised sides, which would perhaps be better?

As I said I am getting a bit confused here, as it appear that there can in effect be two different boot floor sizes, depending on which of the selected options, such as a raised boot floor, and/or a space saving spare wheel have been specified.

Help...!! :?
I think from memory it did not have the space saver spare wheel. The boot mat was on top of the standard carpet cover that you get. It felt quite robust and did cover the whole of the space.

·
Registered
979 Posts
One of these I guess? It doesn't say which flavour of Ateca they will fit, guessing top two any, but bottom one probably not 4x4 or with spare tyre. :D

Automotive lighting Luggage and bags Vehicle Automotive design Trunk

Attachments

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I have the foam ~ don't think much of it though
I'd much rather have a heavy duty rubber one like I had in Yeti
I just wanted something to protect carpet from the dog crate that rides round in the car al the time so it does do that though

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
The Kindness one posted above looks nice but at the back it runs up the lower seat and that bit is angled in. Since I lost all my lower boot space compared to the Altea with 4Drive and spare, I use velcro boot tidies snugged in down the bottom which also fill that angled space. With one of those my tidies would move higher rather than rest flat on the floor velcrosed to the back. Horses for courses.

With a rubber mat you can still pull the sides up to get at the ear flaps of the 4Drive boot cover for the odd few things you have tucked down there in the plastic moulding that the wheel fits in. Boot tray and you have to lift the lot out. I'm still thinking that a cheap boot trays as was posted up the other day may be handy to throw in when doing messy stuff and pull out after use.

·
Registered
122 Posts
just to throw a spanner in the works... i put down an extra set of floor mats i bought in lidl for £7 - to keep the carpet clean from the bairns pram wheels (for the money they are super thick and really good value. Then (as with all my previous cars) - i have 3 or 4 bungee cords and use the convenient hooks to hold anything in place- the pram, shopping, boxes, etc - and as each is a different size they work really well - especially as there are 4 hooks to chose from.

**OBVS bungee'ing a dog in would be a bit more complicated.......

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.