Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Looking at buying a Seat via one of the online brokers and the best deal by far is consistently with Seat Inverness which is 500+ miles away from home :shock: . Other than the obvious cost/hassle of getting it delivered, are there any disadvantages to doing this? I assume that any issues with the car are dealt with my local Seat dealer, but have never bought new before so not sure if this would be the case. Would appreciate advice on this and whether buying from such a distance is a bad idea.

Thanks
 
G

·
I bought from a SEAT dealer that was no where near me. Hasn't been a problem so far, but I haven't got it yet. Collect tomorrow.
With regards to brokers, there should be no problems at all with service/warranty work at any SEAT dealer.

Its worth contacting a several dealers and giving them the broker price to match. A broker only gets their cars from a franchised dealer and adds a fee.
I bought from Perry's in Aylesbury and they matched my best broker price. Many other franchised dealers just were not interested at all.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
164 Posts
atecacoch said:
Hi,

Looking at buying a Seat via one of the online brokers and the best deal by far is consistently with Seat Inverness which is 500+ miles away from home :shock: . Other than the obvious cost/hassle of getting it delivered, are there any disadvantages to doing this? I assume that any issues with the car are dealt with my local Seat dealer, but have never bought new before so not sure if this would be the case. Would appreciate advice on this and whether buying from such a distance is a bad idea.

Thanks
I don't think they are a "broker". They are just a regular dealership who price very competitively online. I've ordered my car from there but it's not such a big journey for me from Glasgow. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
931 Posts
atecacoch said:
Hi,

Looking at buying a Seat via one of the online brokers and the best deal by far is consistently with Seat Inverness which is 500+ miles away from home :shock: . Other than the obvious cost/hassle of getting it delivered, are there any disadvantages to doing this? I assume that any issues with the car are dealt with my local Seat dealer, but have never bought new before so not sure if this would be the case. Would appreciate advice on this and whether buying from such a distance is a bad idea.

Thanks
'
Routine servicing, warranty work etc all carried out by any franchised dealership (see note below). The only thing you have to worry about is if something goes seriously wrong. Lot's of people are still ignorant to the fact that when you buy a car (or anything for that matter), your contract is with the supplying dealership and NOT SEAT.

After my previous experience I would be reluctant to travel the length of the country to purchase a car again - there's no substitute for face-to-face talks as letters to the dealer-principal can be simply ignored until you take the legal option (and I mean actually taking legal action, not just threaten it).

Note: Being part of VW I don't expect SEAT to operate in such a manner but only time I ever had problems with this was with my Fords. Our local dealer was ridiculous for trying to get a deal on a Ford but their service prices were spot on. However when it came to warranty they always said things weren't covered - even if they were. Don't know if you realise but in the UK it's common for cars to come with 3yr warranty. Year 1-2 is usually covered by the manufacturer, yr 3 it's usually the dealership that covers it. Ford however only provide 1yr - it's the dealer who provides year 2 and 3 therefore any warranty work comes out of their own insurance / funds. When the dealership themselves have to pay for stuff, especially when they haven't sold you the car, you can understand their reluctance but by law they have to offer that warranty. It can get really shitty :evil:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
526 Posts
Accord2Ateca said:
atecacoch said:
Hi,

Looking at buying a Seat via one of the online brokers and the best deal by far is consistently with Seat Inverness which is 500+ miles away from home :shock: . Other than the obvious cost/hassle of getting it delivered, are there any disadvantages to doing this? I assume that any issues with the car are dealt with my local Seat dealer, but have never bought new before so not sure if this would be the case. Would appreciate advice on this and whether buying from such a distance is a bad idea.

Thanks
I don't think they are a "broker". They are just a regular dealership who price very competitively online. I've ordered my car from there but it's not such a big journey for me from Glasgow. :)
to be fair, he isn't saying seat inverness are a broker, he's saying he went via an online broker (carwow I suspect) and that broker gets dealers to "bid" for your business.

my experience was that even though dealers say they can't match broker prices, once you are sitting in their showroom they suddenly are able to offer discounts. I got my 2nd closest dealer (seat watford) to actually offer a bigger discount than seat inverness.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
579 Posts
Golfmk56 said:
Note: Being part of VW I don't expect SEAT to operate in such a manner but only time I ever had problems with this was with my Fords. Our local dealer was ridiculous for trying to get a deal on a Ford but their service prices were spot on. However when it came to warranty they always said things weren't covered - even if they were. Don't know if you realise but in the UK it's common for cars to come with 3yr warranty. Year 1-2 is usually covered by the manufacturer, yr 3 it's usually the dealership that covers it. Ford however only provide 1yr - it's the dealer who provides year 2 and 3 therefore any warranty work comes out of their own insurance / funds. When the dealership themselves have to pay for stuff, especially when they haven't sold you the car, you can understand their reluctance but by law they have to offer that warranty. It can get really shitty :evil:
With my Audi it was relatively straight forward. I bought my A3 through a non-franchised car dealer in 2005. It was 18 months old. It was originally sold through an Audi dealership in Scotland. I started doing servicing and warranty work directly with my local Audi dealer in Ipswich. I wasn't aware of any split warranty and Audi head office were still authorising, approving, and paying for, goodwill work on the car even after the 3 years had expired. The roadside recovery also ran for 3 years. It looks like SEAT operates a different system, however, wouldn't the SEAT dealer of choice still provide the same level of warranty as SEAT themselves? What would happen if you bought the car in Inverness, had it serviced outside of the SEAT network (in full accordance with SEAT requirements) but then turned up for the first time at the local SEAT garage two and half years later with a warranty claim. Would the local garage tell you to take a hike? Is the third year of warranty cover subject to an existing servicing relationship with SEAT?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
I found a great deal online at a Seat dealership some distance away, so I asked my local dealership to match the offer and they did. Worth a try.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
237 Posts
I live in Hull but bought my ateca from Pentagon in Scunthorpe
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
I've bought mine via Autoebid and the broker is in Middlesbrough. They are delivering the car to my door free of charge. I went back to our local Seat dealership with the price I'd got through Autoebid and they said they couldn't match it. £2,500 saving :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
931 Posts
tobydog said:
What would happen if you bought the car in Inverness, had it serviced outside of the SEAT network (in full accordance with SEAT requirements) but then turned up for the first time at the local SEAT garage two and half years later with a warranty claim. Would the local garage tell you to take a hike? Is the third year of warranty cover subject to an existing servicing relationship with SEAT?
'
If you read my post again the garage by law would have to carry out the warranty work ( don;t know how SEAT operate but I suspect at the dealerships own cost in year 3).

The trouble with the senario you've given is it's very unlikely you would receive any future goodwill from either the garage or the manufacturer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
160 Posts
I got mine from a dealership 270 miles away as my local one couldn't match them.

I actually had a slight problem with my drivers side electric window and had it in with my local dealership today. All fixed under warranty no problem and they even washed it for me! Happy days
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
579 Posts
Golfmk56 said:
tobydog said:
What would happen if you bought the car in Inverness, had it serviced outside of the SEAT network (in full accordance with SEAT requirements) but then turned up for the first time at the local SEAT garage two and half years later with a warranty claim. Would the local garage tell you to take a hike? Is the third year of warranty cover subject to an existing servicing relationship with SEAT?
'
If you read my post again the garage by law would have to carry out the warranty work ( don;t know how SEAT operate but I suspect at the dealerships own cost in year 3).

The trouble with the scenario you've given is it's very unlikely you would receive any future goodwill from either the garage or the manufacturer.
I never presume any goodwill anyway so I wouldn't include that in my expectations when the car gets to 3 years old. I think any SEAT garage would be happy to do any warranty work in the first two years because it's a no-brainer that they would get reimbursed by SEAT. Are you saying then that a SEAT owner can legally turn up at any garage in the third year of ownership and expect work to be carried out without question?. That just sounds totally unfair and wrong for the dealer to pick up that expense. It wasn't how Audi worked. I'll ask with my dealer when I pick up the car unless someone else on here knows for sure.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
778 Posts
tobydog said:
Golfmk56 said:
If you read my post again the garage by law would have to carry out the warranty work ( don;t know how SEAT operate but I suspect at the dealerships own cost in year 3).

The trouble with the scenario you've given is it's very unlikely you would receive any future goodwill from either the garage or the manufacturer.
I never presume any goodwill anyway so I wouldn't include that in my expectations when the car gets to 3 years old. I think any SEAT garage would be happy to do any warranty work in the first two years because it's a no-brainer that they would get reimbursed by SEAT. Are you saying then that a SEAT owner can legally turn up at any garage in the third year of ownership and expect work to be carried out without question?. That just sounds totally unfair and wrong for the dealer to pick up that expense. It wasn't how Audi worked. I'll ask with my dealer when I pick up the car unless someone else on here knows for sure.
NOT my experience - as far as I understand it in the 3rd year (or 4th year / 5th year if you bought extended from Seat at time of ordering) it is all Seat work.

I have had to have warranty work done on a previous Seat in years 1, 3 and just outside of warranty too (with 100% good will). Year 1 work was at the original dealer purchased from, Year 3 and Year3+ (good will payment) work was at a different dealer, different chain. No haggling whatsoever - took the car in; they cautioned that they would have to check it is still under warranty with Seat UK first, did so then promptly did the work and billed Seat UK direct.

Terms in the service manual are a little more ambiguous in so far as they refer to "Seat Official Services" as offering the warranty, so we need to understand who Seat Official Services are. However it does not mention anything dealer specific (just leaves lots of wiggle room).

Font Screenshot Terrestrial plant


If you are in any way worried by this then ask the vendor whom you are purchasing through to confirm this - better still to get it in writing. However with my personal experience with Seat it has not been an issue for me.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Really appreciate all the comments. It's good to get an idea of where I stand before going to the local dealer to ask for a price match. If I get no joy, it's probably worth going with the lowest price, particularly as I'm seeing a difference of £2k!
Thanks.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top