Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all.
We have an Ateca which is prone to rolling back when setting off on a slight slope which is causing untold problems in car parks.
Even with auto hold on, the car is going backwards as soon as the car accelerates.
We are currently about 6 inch from the car behind :(
Our Leon did not do this and the Ateca is ok moving forward at hill traffic lights after being on autohold (with no roll back) so I can't understand why it can't move forward in this car park where the gradient is much less severe.

What are we doing wrong?!

Is there a knack that we have yet to master?

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Had that problem with a Renault Lagonda rental car once. I suspect the autohold isn't working as it should although mines is a DSG. Manual clutch out and it should take it off autohold. Reckon you might be back to the garage.

I ended up having to block the car up on holiday every time we were parked in a tight space so it didn't roll. Never did find the autohold on that car.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Renault laguna

doubt you'd get a lagonda as a hire car ~ be fantastic if you did from avis :lol:

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Madeira, little island, big car. The cattle use to lick it when you parked up for a walk, think it was to get it to move, but big licks when you returned on the paint work. It was brand new and disappointed the rental staff that we hadn't pranged it when we returned it having not taking out their fancy insurance. Now get an annual one rather risking it. Laguna... yes.

Got a Madeira cow for you which could have a taste for a red Ateca :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I could do with a cow to pull the car forward from its current parking predicament.
Who needs auto hold!

I still don't understand why it works perfectly with the engine on at a traffic light but when starting the car from cold it just doesn't want to know.

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Ah... were are the technically minded. It sounds like it's basically not holding bit like when you put a handbrake on but not hard enough, so it's slowly releasing it. I think if you told a garage that they would know what to do.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
so when you get in and strike up both the A and the P lights are on on the brake bit?

you put pressure on accelerator and car rolls back?

are you releasing the P manually or keeping it on when you go to pull away? (accelerator pressure will switch it off automatically)

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
another things is when you park are you gently rolling to a stop when parking

autohold remembers the last pressure level you had on the brakes

·
Registered
165 Posts
Maybe just maybe you are hitting bitting point slower than the car anticipates when it releases the auto hold. But you could be doing it wrong Try this: release hand brake with brake pedal like normal release then reapply the foot brake immediately, auto hold should take over, now set off like normal. Auto hold doesnt work from taking the handbrake off only when the foot brake has been applied (Green B on dash is hydraulic brake hold Red B is Mechanical hold)
If you have the auto button on you can also set off without doing anything as it turns the handbrake off for first set off but be warned next time you stop and engage reverse it sneaks your handbrake on haha! :lol:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the advice guys :)
To respond to Saggy's post: yes both the parking brake and auto hold were lit when the engine was started. 1st gear selected revs applied, clutch lifted parking brake disengages and car goes back instead of forward when acceraltimg. No brake icons illuminated on dash. Foot brake then applied to stop car rolling and the autohold icon illuminates.
Set off attempted in the normal way (with autohold on dash) but it does the same.

Doug - we will try as you suggest and see what happens if we switch to autohold before setting off. Thanks for the info.
I still don't understand why - even before we started using auto hold - the dash used to shout at you if you hadn't realeased the parking brake but other times it would just release as you moved off.

The missus is not using the stop n start for fear of the same thing happening (we live in a hilly place) which is a shame as the Leon was great for this and it was a charm to use.
I don't think modern cars are designed to be held on the clutch!

Thanks again all.

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
That sounds exactly like the new Renault we hired out. I'd take it back to the dealer and say it's not working.

The telling point is when you said that it was OK but when left it wasn't as I recall. It shouldn't do that. I suspect it's incorrectly set up rather than your driving style.

·
Registered
165 Posts
No it is working correctly, if you release the handbrake on the switch with Auto hold on but dont repress the foot brake again for a second time it will roll back, hence why you had neither the red nor green light on the dash its designed to opperate like a normal handbrake, if you released a conventional hand brake the car would roll back the same, it just assumes you have found biting point before you decide to release the handbrake.

Auto hold is not your handbrake its the hydraulic brakes, next time you are in traffic with Auto hold on, check your rear view mirror you will be blinding the poor sod behind with your brake lights because it holds the hydraulic brake for you not your handbrake.

Now when you mention the beeping thats because without Auto button on it thinks you have forgotten to take the handbrake off rather than knowing you want the car to sort it for you.

Bit of getting used to i know but try my previous suggestion and you wont roll back:

1. (With auto button on) depress brake pedal and push down handbrake button
2. Release brake pedal then immediately depress it again
3. Auto hold (green b on dash) will be engaged
4. Find bitting point and set off

Or:
1. (With auto brake on) find biting point set off

Or:
1. Find biting point, depress brake pedal, press down handbrake button, release pedal set off.

Try to think of it like its just a conventional handbrake. And lift the clutch a little faster, it doesnt want to be powering against the brakes so when it feels its near biting it sets off it doesnt wait. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
That's a really useful post. I have printed it off and put it in the manual for future reference when I finally get mine.

Just a thought, but with all these members now taking delivery and inevitably playing with all the toys, when someone has really worked out how a particular feature works, it would be great if they could post a "user guide", preferably as a new post - a sort of "hints and tips" thread. Maybe the mods could set up a separate section for this sort of thing.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Fred99 said:
That's a really useful post. I have printed it off and put it in the manual for future reference when I finally get mine.

Just a thought, but with all these members now taking delivery and inevitably playing with all the toys, when someone has really worked out how a particular feature works, it would be great if they could post a "user guide", preferably as a new post - a sort of "hints and tips" thread. Maybe the mods could set up a separate section for this sort of thing.
Good idea, Fred :D Who's game for doing Youtube instructional videos to go along with user guides? Any takers? Saggy - sounds like you'd be good at that :p

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
mcderms said:
Fred99 said:

Good idea, Fred :D Who's game for doing Youtube instructional videos to go along with user guides? Any takers? Saggy - sounds like you'd be good at that :p
not for car forums :lol: :lol: :lol:

I don't know flip all about cars. I get in and drive and hope for the best :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
We'll wait in anticipation whether it does the trick.

Whatever we did to that Renault made no difference, you needed to be an octopus to work all the controls together. I can only think you couldn't get the revs up to hold it at the biting point so it stalled ?. May be this is similar.... that would be an adjustment. I wash my hands of manuals :). The autohold is suppose to go off once it feels the drive motion.

I don't think autohold puts the brake lights on in the DSG. I tested it and concluded you stopped dazzling people. Let Saggy test that one when she gets into her car latter on the back wall ?. Wonder whether the high intensity brake light works differently between the DSG and manual. I could be wrong but I did convince myself that once you took the foot of the break the high intensity light dropped when it was on autohold.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Nothing wrong with Manuals, done some pretty steep hill starts in the Lakes and round where i live in Yorkshire and never had a problem with auto hold and hill starts, it took my wife a while to get used to taking the brake off and then re-pressing the pedal to get the hold function to take over whilst getting her right foot on the accelerator, no rolling back once perfected.

Cant speak for the the Autos but the rear brake lights stay on in the Manual because Autohold holds the hydraulic brakes. I would have thought it the same in the Autos though.

Then again from what you have wrote so far about your car Tell anything is possible with your one of a kind build!

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Dunn VAG Happy said:
Then again from what you have wrote so far about your car Tell anything is possible with your one of a kind build!
:lol: :lol:

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
They are off thinking about the last issue I presented to them. I'm wondering whether the Navi Plus only supports one light or some funny market in Europe only has one passenger foot well light, but they are certainly shipped to Germany like it where I picked up on it on the German board where they were most unhappy about that as well, that's when I was looking to see whether they were saying anything about fog nights.

I will check out again what the autohold does to the high intensity stop light again, but looking in cars behind me it dropped down when the foot came off the break, so I now rest it off rather than holding it since I don't need to, the lazy American way of driving automatic but of course that was before high intensity stop lights came in. I think electric handbrakes are pigs basically in manuals, they will have been designed for automatics and have been carried across to manuals. It's just a compromise. Seems that the use fails on hills then you get acres of do this and do that, whilst on the flat they are fine. Saying this I haven't tried mine on a hill yet but I have a sneaky suspicion that the automatic gear box will do the job :). You feel the break go off and the engine power going straight to the wheels as you do with an automatic when it's paused (it will be power on, autohold off). I can't see running back... famous last words.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.