Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a strange experience yesterday as I want to a store to pick up some grocery.

I parked and locked the Ateca (long hold to fold mirrors) and went into the store. Took a last look when I was almost in store (who doesn't, it's a beautiful car, right? :D). All fine, all locked.

When I was done and on my way out, I immediately noticed that my Ateca's mirrors where unfolded AND the tailgate stood wide open!

I'm 99.99% sure I didn't touch the key (and there was nothing else in the same pocket as the key), and even if I had the remote is out of reach when in store (tested it later to verify if it could have been me).

So there are two possibilities as I see it: earth wiring problem or remote receiver picket up some signal and though it was my key.

Anyone else with similar experience?

My Ateca does have the virtual pedal by the way, and it has worked flawlessly ever since I got the car.

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Jacob, was that locked on the key via the long press or the hand over the door sensor cover ?.

Have you had your boot unit replaced ?.

I'm sure Magpie will turn up latter to talk of his experiences but he had tailgate up and windows down one morning but has since had the tailgate control unit replaced. So that might be worth thinking about. The replacement is for the unreliable action or not working of the electric tailgate rather than random opening. But the two may be connected.

I lock mine not on the key but the door handle action since it saves fumbling with the remote, it may very well keep down the data traffic for those remote capture devices if you don't do it that way.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Yeah mine did exactly the same thing. Not all at the same time tho, two occasions for boot and once for windows.

Dealer couldn't replicate the problem (unsurprisingly) but yeah because my virtual pedal wasn't working they said it may be related, so with the module replaced keep an eye on it. Does your virtual pedal work?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds scary to hear others had similar experience. To be honest, I was hoping it was me fumbling with the key somehow.

I lock the car using key (though I have keyless but it haven't figured out how to fold mirrors using only door handle, so I keep doing long press on the key).

I doubt anyone have intercepted the signal as the mirrors did fold, which means the signal was transmitted.

I have no other problems with the virtual pedal, it works if I approach the locked car with key in my pocket. Otherwise not. I can also open the tailgate by double-pressing the boot button on the key. First press is for a slight open, and the other activates the electric motor and a warning signal goes while opening.

To close the boot I have to use the button located on the inside of tail door, no keypress or virtual pedals work this time (but I guess it's by design).

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hmm Virtual pedal should also work when boot is opened. I've seen this working in some video's on youtube.

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
I did have my unit replaced it never worked when I got the car. You can stuff you foot under the car rear and it closes as well as opens. Sounds like you have the earlier version of the unit unless it only works one way if you use the key to get it to go up. I'm keyless !.

The technique to lock the doors on the Kessey is what I call back of the hand method. You just cover the visible groove sensor, it will lock, don't move hand, the mirrors will fold in. Grip handle is open, lock is the back or the hand, you could use your thumb.

It's the data stream that gets intercepted when you use your remote. Then in early versions they play back. Nowadays it's encrypted with a key but the story is that encryption is broken. Possibly if they never intercepted the transmission they would have too fire off alot of combinations so they would give in. I walk away after locking it the Kessey way thinking nobody has the data key.

I suspect it's a faulty tailgate unit. Dealers know about the opening fault, not one suspects about the random opening. I'd get it replaced... I thought it only happened to Magpie once, not three times.

(Nate, that's true, I think they have an early version of the control unit)

·
Registered
334 Posts
Virtual pedal should definitely work to close as well. Sounds faulty to me, get your dealership to look it over.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If I get this right you should be:
a) able to lock by holding on the door handle and wait a second or two. Mirrors should fold.
b) close the tailgate using virtual pedal.

Is that right? Mine does neither. Regarding dealers being aware of the issue: unsure about it. I'm in Sweden and my Ateca is the only in town, except the demo car... :?

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
A. Hold, no cover the slot that's outward facing. That's the sensor. I put my back fingers against and wait.

B. Correct

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Tell said:
A. Hold, no cover the slot that's outward facing. That's the sensor. I put my back fingers against and wait.

B. Correct
You also have to jump back when using the Kessey sometimes if you want to have another go. So you go out of the Kessey sensing field and back - 3 foot or so.

·
Registered
334 Posts
With locking just make sure I only touch the small ridgey line on the outside handle to lock. Keep your finger/back of hand on it longer for the mirrors.

If you put any part of your hand behind the door handle it will not lock. Where I went wrong for the first day I had it. Outside of the handle only where the sensor is.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ah, fantastic! Finally I know how to lock the car without using the key. Wired gesture but it works when one's aware of it.

Turns out I can close the tailgate by kicking too, so it looks as my car works as intended, after all!

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Shouldn't random open thou.... my dealer gave me the training on the opening and closing but it was gone over on here as well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Indeed, but I truly hope it was "nothing". As we say here in Sweden, "one time is no time". ;-)

·
Registered
77 Posts
the sensor on the tailgate is btw a wire going from one side of the back bumber to the other side as a double wire, just saw it today, so it not like you have to use your foot under on one side of the rear bumber, you can use it on all places under the rear bumber :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That's kind of what I figured... Never grasped why people were mentioning that you have to stand precisely here or wink with your foot exactly there. Mine has been just working, everytime. (Except from that one time when it opened without me being even near the car, but that's another story! :-D)

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
It was unreliable on a batch of cars built in a given period that straddled build week 39 or something like it by three weeks or so. There must have been a set of faulty control units built. I didn't believe it when I read it, but true.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've had my Xcellence 1.4 DSG with Virtual Pedal Tailgate for a month and the tailgate has mysteriously opened overnight on 4 occasions fortunately always in my garage. I've made contact with Seat about this and was promised a reference number for the query but nothing until now. It's not exactly something that inspires me with confidence when I park the car.
I wonder if turning off the "Easy Open" option in Car Settings ( (i.e. the Virtual Pedal) will make the problem go away. If so, turning off a feature for which I paid extra money just to make the car more secure doesn't make for good customer satisfaction. The Virtual pedal works fine. No problems with that.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts