Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner

Carplay anomalies

11K views 27 replies 11 participants last post by  Nerraw 
#1 ·
Hi All,

Anyone finding Carplay a little unreliable? Three main issues I've had:

1) When Carplay loads my radio goes off. If I go back to radio it shows the radio screen for a split second, and plays music for a split second, then flicks back to carplay and silence. Keeps doing this. Has happened ~3 times.

2) When navigating, sometimes the voice nav doesn't mute. It says it is muted, but it isn't. If I hit the mute button, it repeats current instruction. This has happened MANY times.

3) My phone won't always connect. It says to check my settings, but everything is as normal. Reset phone, no difference. Recycle power on car, has helped once or twice, but not the other few times.

Any thoughts or ideas welcome. Just seems a wee bit buggy.

Sam

#2 ·
Hi Sam i can confer on the following points as an Apple device owner amd had our Ateca since September I've seen a few things:
a) not seen this as such apart from when i was using a third party music app instead of the iPhone music it wouldn't quit the app properly.
b) quiet common, un plug the phone close the maps app the plug phone back in, voice no more, thinks its the Apple maps app.
c) only happened to me once very frustrating, then, turned car on and off, phone on and off, nothing, then double tapped the home buttun shut all the phone apps and hey presto it worked! Must be because i use a lot of different sources on my phone for music

#3 ·
I do find it annoying that when connected via Android Auto you can't scroll through your library on Spotify for more than about 10 secs before it stops you and tells you that you can't continue until you park. I get the safety aspect of this but how the bloody hell am I meant to select my tunes!

#4 ·
That was my grouse when I was trying to use Android Auto as Navigator once we had set off. Frustrating. I was locked out so I didn't bother. I don't change albums on the built in system judging that too dangerous when I'm driving, just jump tracks with the steering wheel buttons.

#5 ·
Tell said:
That was my grouse when I was trying to use Android Auto as Navigator once we had set off. Frustrating. I was locked out so I didn't bother. I don't change albums on the built in system judging that too dangerous when I'm driving, just jump tracks with the steering wheel buttons.
I think the key is creating playlists for the car. It's easier to switch between playlists than it is whole albums or artists.

#6 ·
Voice commands for directions work well on AndroidAuto IME, not tried that for music yet. I agree re not being able to browse Spotify, but also how awkward it is to play a specific album. Artist just goes to shuffle. Bit weird!

#7 ·
David_S said:
Tell said:
I think the key is creating playlists for the car. It's easier to switch between playlists than it is whole albums or artists.
I'm old enough for Albums David :). It will move between albums when it's finished... so you have another album :).

#8 ·
samanthaanne said:
Hi All,

1) When Carplay loads my radio goes off. If I go back to radio it shows the radio screen for a split second, and plays music for a split second, then flicks back to carplay and silence. Keeps doing this. Has happened ~3 times.
Got this annoying bug also. It happend around 2 times with me. Disconnecting and reconnecting the iPhone will solve the problem. But it was weird :?

After all I'm disappointed with Apple CarPlay. It's only good for using my Music Library with Apple Music. But I really don't like the user interface of it. You can't see the cover of the song which is playing. It is heavily blurred as a background. The huge buttons are really huge and ugly. I know Apple did create a user interface that won't distract you. But that doesn't mean that it has to ugly.

The other thing I use Apple CarPlay for are messages. Siri reads them out loud and you can reply with it.It works ok if Siri wants to :lol:

I haven't found any good other CarPlay app in the App Store. Most apps are radio apps :roll:
Maybe someone has some good tips?

#10 ·
Or your favourite SD music file :). I do listen to old Dutch VPRO concerts for our Dutch readers and Radio Bremen for our German readers. Radio 4 I want the news or the Archers:).

#11 ·
My phone just wouldn't connect at all earlier. I plugged it in USB 1 and it wouldn't recognise it was plugged in at all. Tried it in USB 2 and it worked straight away. Then tried it back in USB 1 and it worked straight away. Weird.

#13 ·
David_S said:
My phone just wouldn't connect at all earlier. I plugged it in USB 1 and it wouldn't recognise it was plugged in at all. Tried it in USB 2 and it worked straight away. Then tried it back in USB 1 and it worked straight away. Weird.
That's what Thomas threw in, in one of his videos.

#14 ·
David_S said:
Is it an iPhone you are using and is it an official cable? I've had similar issues in other cars using a non official cable bought on ebay. :?

#15 ·
Kindness71 said:
David_S said:
Is it an iPhone you are using and is it an official cable? I've had similar issues in other cars using a non official cable bought on ebay. :?
Please don't swear at me! :p

I'll never own or use an Apple product in my life. One big money making spin if you ask me. Buy one product and they've got you by the danglies.

#16 ·
David_S said:
Kindness71 said:
David_S said:
Please don't swear at me! :p

I'll never own or use an Apple product in my life. One big money making spin if you ask me. Buy one product and they've got you by the danglies.
Ahh ok your with the dark side that explains why you have issues :lol:
Seriously though could be same issue, was it an official cable or eBay special from China ? :cool:

#17 ·
Probably the port in the car not dropping it away but swapping to the other stirs it up a bit so you can plug back in. The cables aren't really a mystery for Android devices, no concept of oem cables being different from a manufacturer's supplied one. Oem preoccupation is an Apple one.

#19 ·
Noworkin said:
Its a car - put music you like to listen to on an sd card - switch off your phone and just enjoy.
Not possible when you use Spotify as your only source of music I'm afraid.

#20 ·
David's not an album person ;). I've been re digitising my MD and CD music collection since June getting it into FLAC. I've got half a draw to go yet and about 200 gb of music so far. My plan to get it onto 2 SD cards 128 gb each for left and right readers of the Navi Plus was shattered when the partner found a draw and a third of MDs I'd forgotten about. Thought I'd finished but I hadn't.

#22 ·
trogette said:
I'm an album person but I still use Spotify for them! I'm enjoying Radio 6 though... And yeah I could just bluetooth, but got used to using Google Maps for nav before our SD cards arrived.
From what I've seen I think Google Maps is better for Navigation as you get live traffic updates and more accurate arrival time estimations. If I had more data on my phone contract I'd probably use it over the standard Nav.

#23 ·
You don't get lane guidance in Google Maps at junctions telling you and showing you which lanes to be in at junctions, unless they have added it recently. The fleet of Here Map car survey those in. Google you need a connection not available at times. I don't think you have the speed digitised to the road so the car warns you when speeding, traffic sign recognition adds that to a second level spotting road works speed limits or variable speed cameras. Against that Google maps has access to all Google map users so knows where the jams are since unbeknown to the user it's giving that out. The other negative of non car systems is that they jump roads in towns and sending you off in the wrong direction whilst the cars system when it looses the satnav signal continues to monitor where you are from wheel revolutions till it gets the signal back.

I check Google Maps before I set out and use the car's system if driving. I do have the destinations of trips in the Google calendar so I get advanced warning and plan routes. I'm a bit promiscuous on mapping systems. Have the track on my phones general GPS hiking app when I'm wearing my Copilot hat, that's foreign parts.

#24 ·
Pretty sure G-maps does do lane guidance, would have to check, but I tend to have them muted anyway unless I'm really struggling to follow the map. Missing it on the Ateca compared to the sat-nav that lives in our i10.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.