Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WTF Carwow has the Ateca at number 3 behind a sportage of all things :shock: :eek:

Total rubbish, sorry but I severely dislike that reviewer Mat Watson, what an annoying bloke :evil:

https://www.carwow.co.uk/best/best-suvs

·
Registered
163 Posts
That is rubbish!!! Why would Sportage be better than Ateca? Sportage sucks! :) Also Kodiaq is maybe bigger but when it comes to handling Ateca is better!

·
Registered
241 Posts
I went to last year's Geneva Motor Show just after the Sportage was launched. One had a door seal falling off and another was missing a button for the electric driver's seat. I was seriously unimpressed. Looking at the Ateca a few hours later was far more impressive.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
woa hold on, I've just scrolled to the bottom of that article where it gives the average score from 5 reviews of each car :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Skoda Kodiac - 7.8

Kia Sportage - 7.7

SEAT Ateca - 8.3

So once again WTF were they on about. I'm sure these reviewers get a brown envelope from some of these companies :roll:

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
& the tea cup runneth over.

Ah the annoying reviewer, even the school boy is better.

·
Registered
22 Posts
What's funnier, if you go on the Sportage forum it's nothing but complaints and calls to ask if a problem is common.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I currently drive a Kia Sportage and was about to sign for the new model, however my father mentioned the excellent reviews that the Ateca was getting and suggested I test drive it as well.

Well the rest is history as I ordered an Ateca - the Ateca is in a different league!

Looking forward to taking delivery of it on 1 April!

·
Registered
931 Posts
Kia is rubbish!

Unless of course you find out that KIA are willing to slap a 7 year warranty on their cars whilst SEAT will only guarantee their cars for less than half of that.

But Kia is rubbish !!!

Unless you check out last year's JD Power relability study where KIA came 3rd overall, SEAT were 8th

But Kia is rubbish !!!

Wonder if anyone has bothered to check out Driver Power's latest survey on Best Car dealers? KIA are in 9th overall position, SEAT are - wait for it - 31st, right at the very bottom of the pile. The survey said: "Things have gone from bad to worse for SEAT, as the Spanish manufacturer finished a lowly 27th in our Driver Power 2015 dealers table and has now dropped right to the bottom. Its best score is for value for money, but even then it comes only 25th, while every other ranking is a disappointing 29th or lower.

Sometimes I wonder how people arrive at their opinions.

·
Registered
16 Posts
My Ateca came with a 5 year / 100K Km warranty. Considering it takes me just under 4 years to drive 100K, the fact that Kia offered 7 years for the same 100K was a non-factor. I did consider the Hyundai Tucson (Kia's better-built cousin), as it offered a 5 year unlimited mileage warranty. But then I test drove both and the Ateca was a lot more to my liking, so I ordered the Ateca. For the record, I also checked out the Peugeot 3008 SUV, BMW X1, Audi Q3 and Mazda CX-5.

As to how Carwow ranked the SUVs they tested in the order they did, it all depends on the weight they give to different attributes (driving, economy, reliability, price, warranty etc). Considering they don't publish the algorithms they use, your guess is as good as mine. While I find these reviews handy for getting a first impression about some cars and perhaps disqualifying some others, the information I found from actual owners on forums such as this was much more useful.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Nickstah said:
My Ateca came with a 5 year / 100K Km warranty. Considering it takes me just under 4 years to drive 100K, the fact that Kia offered 7 years for the same 100K was a non-factor. I did consider the Hyundai Tucson (Kia's better-built cousin), as it offered a 5 year unlimited mileage warranty. But then I test drove both and the Ateca was a lot more to my liking, so I ordered the Ateca. For the record, I also checked out the Peugeot 3008 SUV, BMW X1, Audi Q3 and Mazda CX-5.

As to how Carwow ranked the SUVs they tested in the order they did, it all depends on the weight they give to different attributes (driving, economy, reliability, price, warranty etc). Considering they don't publish the algorithms they use, your guess is as good as mine. While I find these reviews handy for getting a first impression about some cars and perhaps disqualifying some others, the information I found from actual owners on forums such as this was much more useful.
I'm sure KIA's 7 year warranty is a non factor for most buyers but the suggestion is KIA have more faith in their product that SEAT has in theirs.

Incidentally that 7 year guarantee isn't all what it seems (here in the UK anyway). Euro laws now say as long as your car is maintained to the manufacturers specifications using manufacturer recommended parts, your car can be serviced anywhere and the warranty will be intact. That's true for KIA as it is for everyone else, however if you wish to sell your Sportage, it needs to be serviced each year at a KIA dealership for the warranty to be transferred to the next owner. It's a sneeky wee way of getting around those EU laws. Surprise, surprise, KIA servicing prices were £££'s more than Hyundai charge for exactly the same engine so KIA owners are paying for the extra warranty. And when you consider that Hyundai only requires a check over after 12 months rather than a full service (full service is 24 months) to honour their warranty, maintaining a KIA is a bit of a rip off.

Hyundai Tucson being KIA's better built cousin? I'd have to disagree. I was looking at a Tucson Premium and Sportage 3. Whilst the Tucson waspretty solidly screwed together, I felt there was far too much cheap plastic. Even the doors close with a 'ping'. The Sportage on the otherhand - doors close with a thud, just like VW, and the materials used inside, feel of the buttons etc are way better than Hyundai. Even the steering wheel felt more chunky leather whilst it was hard to tell the Hyundai had a leather wheel. At the end of the day, it's the same car tho.

Ateca better built that either of them - well yes and no. Lots of well screwed together bits but I agree with CarWOW, the upper door cards are very hard plastic, those levers in the boot to lower the rear bench seem a bit cheap, the cupholders are as basic as you can get, the front cup holders are cheap as chips, the rear boot carpet is very thin and lets fact it, the less said about the rear parcel shelf the better. (Wonder how long that'll last?). There's also that rear door design flaw mentioned in another thread. Kia's 1.7tdi better than SEAT's 1.6tdi - absolutely IMO. But SEAT's petrols are just light years ahead of anything KIA has to offer.

There are pro's and cons no matter what car you chose, just depends your priorities.

But for people to say cars are rubbish - that's ridiculous, no modern car is rubbish. That MG SUV thing comes pretty close, as does Vauxhalls Mokka, but given they're all at different price ranges and people have their own budgets to stick to, it's all a bit pretentious to suggest someone elses car is rubbish.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Golfmk56,

Being a current owner of a Kia Sportage, and with the following members of my family having recently owned or still currently own the following Kia's I think I am fairly qualified to evaluate their quality and 7 Year Warranty:

• Wife - Kia Rio 3
• Father - Kia Sportage 3 Nav
• Mother - Kia Venga

The 7 Year Warranty has a lot of terms and conditions like you have already eluded to. The media systems are only covered for 3 years - this is identical to Seat!

All family members have had to fight with Kia to have faults fixed under the supposedly reassuring 7 Year Warranty!

Both mine and my father's Sportage suffered from corroding alloy wheels before the vehicles were even a year old. It turned out that this was a common problem with the diamond cut alloys they were using. They were eventually replaced under the warranty, but only with refurbished alloy wheels (they were the original wheels that had been cleaned and painted with silver paint!). Yes that's right, they put second hand alloy wheels on my £25k car that was under a year old! I didn't know if they had come off a vehicle that had been involved in an accident or were from a 3 year old Sportage!

The replacement wheels also corroded and Kia initially refused to replace them under the warranty, however with the help of my dealer and going to the top managers in Kia they were eventually replaced!

My wife's diamond cut alloys on her Kia Rio also corroded and had to be replaced! I also had to have parking sensors and the reversing camera replaced under warranty before the car was 2 years old as they had corroded! Not exactly what I call a quality car!

My mother also had to fight with Kia to replace the battery in her brand new Kia Venga as the stop start didn't work! They kept insisting that she didn't drive it enough, however eventually she convinced them to replace the battery and she hasn't had a problem with the stop start system since.

Interestingly my father now owns a Volvo XC60 and my wife has a Mini Paceman - both vehicles only come with the standard 3 years manufacturer's warranty as they felt that the 7 year Kia Warranty wasn't sufficient enough to convince them to remain with the brand.

I've actually upgraded my warranty with Seat to 5 years as I will probably keep the car between 3 and 4 years, therefore it could be said that it is a better warranty than what Kia provide as at least my infotainment system is covered for 5 years!

Based on my families experience with Kia vehicles, I believe that I have a right to question Kia's quality. The build quality of the Ateca looks and feels far superior, however it is too new to question it's overall reliability.

The Kia Sportage isn't a bad car, however I based my claims that the Ateca is in a different league through driving it. The way it drives and handles is by far superior to the Kia Sportage and it is also more comfortable and I believe these should be the areas that are given the highest weighting when deciding on what vehicle to purchase and not the warranty. It is also significantly more technologically advanced, has a superior infotainment system and can be built to order with your preferred optional extras. The doors are also much heavier than those on a Sportage!

·
Registered
20 Posts

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
931 Posts
Jonny said:
Golfmk56,

Being a current owner of a Kia Sportage, and with the following members of my family having recently owned or still currently own the following Kia's I think I am fairly qualified to evaluate their quality and 7 Year Warranty:

• Wife - Kia Rio 3
• Father - Kia Sportage 3 Nav
• Mother - Kia Venga

blah, blah blah
Won't reply in full to every point you make but what you say could be for any car. The other thing you get mixed up with is that when comparing handling and comfort, that's YOUR opinion - the Ateca setup suits you which is the only think that matters. But it doesn't suit everyone and if a motoring hack thinks the Sportage is better for whatever reason then they are entitled to that view.

But after reading everything negative you say above about your experience with KIA, I have to ask:

1: Why does you family keep buying KIA's - you've bought three of them?
2: KIA Sportage 3 NAV? Isn't that the last generation - models aren't designated NAV these days so if you are referring to the previous model, the new car is a different beast altogether. (Unlike the Ateca, all KIA Sportages come with indi rear suspension which is probably why the motoring hacks thought it more comfortable for most people's tastes. I dunno, its just a guess.

But best of all, (sorry to bring this up ) from one of your old postings:

Jonny said:
I first test drove the Ateca at Cars2 in Wakefield and decided that I wanted to order one (I had planned to order another Kia Sportage), however they wouldn't even discount the car by a penny!
So after all your ranting of poor service, poor warranties, poor quality and everything else you say above - you were still planning on another KIA Sportage" ? :oops: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Did someone get out the wrong side of bed this morning?

PS - How many of your families KIA's were delivered with only one key? :lol: (I genuinly feel sorry for you - not what you want with a new car)

You've got to laugh at the irony of your posting tho.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Golfmk56,

The two Sportage's and Rio were purchased within a few months of each other and the warranty issues that I have previously made reference to occurred before the vehicles first birthday and after the three vehicles had been purchased.

Fair point about my mother purchasing the Kia Venga as she should have learnt from the other family members experiences, however the Venga met most of her requirements and she purchased it from a different Kia dealer in the hope that her experience would be different.

You stated in your previous post that the Kia came with a 7 year warranty - I was simply pointing out to you that a 7 year warranty is only as good as the experience you have when trying to use it! Being given reconditioned alloy wheels in my opinion isn't a very good warranty! Also reading the small print highlights that not everything is covered by the 7 year warranty such as the entertainment system (3 years), therefore can it really be argued that it should give Kia an advantage over other brands that only offer a 3 year warranty?

Mechanically our Kia's have been outstanding. All of our warranty issues have been mainly connected with corrosion issues with wheels and connections.

You are also correct that the Kia Sportage's were the previous generation model, however I never said it was a bad car, in fact I have loved driving and owning my Sportage which is why I was so close to purchasing the latest model. The ownership costs have also been very good as I purchased a servicing plan and I'm still on the original tyres almost 45,000 miles later! Having test driven the latest Sportage, and looked at the included equipment, the Seat Ateca is simply better in my opinion (even if my Ateca only came with 1 key!). In my opinion the latest model Sportage doesn't look as good visually as the one it replaced, especially the front end as the previous generation model had more distinctive LED lights.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts