Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most of you are probably aware, but if you are buying a new Ateca just check your current motor insurance policy or at least when seeking comparisons this is something to bear in mind.

Mine covers me if unfortunately my new Ateca is written off they will provide a new car of same make and model if it is written off and under 12 months old, therefore meaning you do not need GAP Insurance for the 1st year.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
231 Posts
I don't take GAP, but a useful reminder nevertheless. I'm sure it will help some folk who might otherwise pay out prematurely for cover they don't need.

Someone on another forum went for GAP at 10 months to ensure continuity. I don't know how much he had to fight his corner, but I'd start soliciting quotes with some time to spare.

As I've never taken it I don't know if it also covers you for anything spent up front on e.g. 5 yr warranty and 3 yr service pack but possible food for thought.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
82 Posts
Some GAP providers account for this and let you defer the start date for 12 months.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
778 Posts
Niggly said:
I don't take GAP, but a useful reminder nevertheless. I'm sure it will help some folk who might otherwise pay out prematurely for cover they don't need.

Someone on another forum went for GAP at 10 months to ensure continuity. I don't know how much he had to fight his corner, but I'd start soliciting quotes with some time to spare.

As I've never taken it I don't know if it also covers you for anything spent up front on e.g. 5 yr warranty and 3 yr service pack but possible food for thought.
Hadn't really considered it before, but had a look - depends on the GAP insurance but one of the popular options is 'return to invoice'; i.e. the price that is on your order form / bill is the price they insure you to. Never had it myself so can't really comment on whether they genuinely make the claiming part painless or not.

Checked my policy as well - interesting clause on it in so much as they will provide the same spec vehicle from their chosen suppliers or give you market value. No choice in tweaking it for example (if you wanted to add something at your own expense), so watch out for the little clauses if you are thinking about it!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
290 Posts
daesimps said:
Some GAP providers account for this and let you defer the start date for 12 months.
Which ones do this that you are aware of?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
82 Posts
ALA offered me this when I changed vehicle over to the Ateca a couple of weeks ago.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
290 Posts
Thanks !
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
I was going to buy GAP insurance from Seat as part of my package (£399), but I checked with my insurance broker who said that most motor insurance policies do have a clause providing for full reinstatement cost if the vehicle is written off within 12 months.
Clearly you need to check your policy to ensure this is included.
My broker offers a similar kind of policy to a GAP after the first 12 months, and much cheaper too, so I didn't include the Seat pict in my package.
I think it pays to get some advice from a motor insurance broker - it may take only a few minutes and incur no cost.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
218 Posts
I'm insured with Admiral and they advised me when I changed over my policy that as my car is valued over £25k they only offer market value (even in the first year)!

I suppose it depends on who you insure your car with as I always thought it's new for old in the first 12 months.

I decided to mitigate the risk and take out Gap insurance with ALA. using discount code PISTON12 I received a 12% discount!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
51 Posts
My insurance company said they would replace my car for new. In the small print though they had to be able to source the car within 6 weeks.

I didn't want to take the risk with current lead times so paid the small amount for gap insurance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
82 Posts
Despite being offered the choice of deferring for a year, I didn't take it. The cost of GAP was £160 for 3 years, so a drop in the ocean compared to the £30k car cost. My GAP offers replacement vehicle that includes manufacturer's price increases, which the standard 12 month new for old insurance wouldn't cover. An absolute no brainer for me and completely worry free.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
290 Posts
Which gap insurance is that daesimps?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
82 Posts
missy said:
Which gap insurance is that daesimps?
The Replacement Vehicle policy from ALA.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
579 Posts
My other half has just bought a new Mini. They wanted £499 for their GAP insurance on a value of £16,000. I told them it was outrageous and that they could keep it. Normally I would not take such insurance. That was until my other half's best friend nearly killed herself in a write off. She had to be cut out. Her car was 6 months into a PCP deal and she had no GAP cover. It cost her "several thousands" to buy her way out of the finance on a basic Suzuki Swift. As a result, the Mini has Return to Invoice coverage with a firm called GAP Insurance. It cost £165 for a four year term. Don't forget this issue also applies to unrecovered theft. No brainier!.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,739 Posts
& I upset the people who work in insurance who have an Ateca when a chastised the market so I'm not saying anything, but on your main insurance best to do a reset and get your lifestyle updated if changed career and business needs. It cost me less to insure my new car than my 12 year old Altea which I was delighted about and got money back from my previous insurance. Used Confused for quotes. Revisiting and swapping around pays dividends.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
338 Posts
Tell said:
& I upset the people who work in insurance who have an Ateca when a chastised the market so I'm not saying anything, but on your main insurance best to do a reset and get your lifestyle updated if changed career and business needs. It cost me less to insure my new car than my 12 year old Altea which I was delighted about and got money back from my previous insurance. Used Confused for quotes. Revisiting and swapping around pays dividends.
Your posts might make more sense (although I doubt it) if you were sober at the time of (mis)writing? ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
290 Posts
I know what he means - must be a Welsh thing although must say you seem a bit fixated by Tell?

Tell - when I did a quote a month or so ago I was also suprised that it was cheaper than my vw camper's insurance.. and that included insuring The German fully comp also and brand new no no claims
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,739 Posts
missy said:
I know what he means - must be a Welsh thing although must say you seem a bit fixated by Tell?

Tell - when I did a quote a month or so ago I was also suprised that it was cheaper than my vw camper's insurance.. and that included insuring The German fully comp also and brand new no no claims
I was surprised as well with how mine came out. May be it's the dreaded front assist in some quarters, it does reduce insurance costs, perhaps very low risk plus front assist gives you a pretty low insurance. Getting a re quote every year and revisiting your profile so it accurately reflects you helps. After a year insurance companies ramp the costs up after tempting you so by re trawling you can get a better offer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
341 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top