Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After some (well, lots of) research that included the Peugeot 3008 SUV, Hyundai Tucson, Kia Sportage, Toyota CH-R, BMW X1, Audi Q2, VW Tiguan and the SEAT Ateca, I finally pulled the trigger 2 weeks ago and ordered the Ateca. I got a 1.4 TSI DSG in Xcellence trim, Samoa Orange with most of the trimmings. I left out the 360 camera (tried to add it a week later but it was too late), the electric boot and the double boot floor (which I really regret).

I had my mind set on it since Xmas, but there weren't any available in Cyprus for a test drive until late February and I didn't want to order without driving one. I got to test drive the 2.0 (189 bhp) in brown, as it was the only one available. I wasn't worried about test driving the 1.4 TSI, as I already own a Golf V & Golf VI, both with the 1.4 TSI engine which I really like. I was more interested in how the car felt, build quality, quietness, etc. Half an hour after the test drive - and after having negotiated a 3000 Euro discount - I was signing on the line.

Some interesting points about regionalisation:
1- Navigation is an optional extra in Cyprus, even on the Xcellence trim. Two options exist: Standard Navigation (€550) & Navigation Plus (€1450). The Audi Q2 & VW Tiguan do not include Cyprus maps, whereas the Ateca does. Go figure...
2- Leather seats are also an optional extra regardless of trim. This is actually a good thing, as I din't want them. With the temperatures we have in Cyprus you're guaranteed to get a skin burn in the Summer months. For the rest of the year, your bum just sticks to the seats ;)
3- The Xcellence trim comes with 18" performance wheels. I personally wanted the 18" machined alloy wheels, but the only option was to upgrade to 19". With the reads we have here, that's a no-no.
4- In Cyprus the Ateca comes with a 5 year/100,000 km manufacturer warranty. It is the first SEAT to offer this and it made a difference in choosing it.
5- Choosing the navigation package also comes with "Mapcare: map update for the navigation system". Not sure for how long, but I'll call and find out.
6- The Winter package is also an optional extra regardless of trim. Totally unnecessary around here.

For the record, I drive 96km per day just go to work and back. I know it would make more sense to get the 1.6 diesel, but I like driving too much to get what I consider an under-powered engine. The 2.0 diesel does have similar performance to the 1.4 TSI, but it costs 3500 Euro more. And at the end of the day, I just prefer the characteristics of a petrol engine.

As for lead times, I was given a rough estimate of 4 months, which means late June. Considering most things around here run on "Greek-time", I'm thinking late July, but hope to be proven wrong (in a good way).

Anyway, just wanted to say hi and a big THANK YOU to all the people in this forum. The real-world information I gathered by reading your posts in this forum was far more helpful than any of the reviews I read/watched online. And trust me, I've read them all.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:D Haha....well spotted. I meant when driving in shorts and/or a swimming costume.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Thanks for the interesting info. :)

I wish that some of the options you mention were also offered here in the U.K.

For example, if you choose the Xcellence model here, then you have to have leather seats, which I didn't want, so my only option was to go for an SE and 'upgrade' it to include the extras I considered to be essential... or cost effective!

A 5 year manufacturer's warranty would be good thing to have also!

·
Registered
931 Posts
Yes, heated leather seats perhaps not the best option for your part of the world. But I'm wondering, what use is Sat nav in Cyprus other than to those who suffer short term memory loss? :lol:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Montala said:
For example, if you choose the Xcellence model here, then you have to have leather seats, which I didn't want, so my only option was to go for an SE and 'upgrade' it to include the extras I considered to be essential... or cost effective!
Yeah, I did the same exercise because I wanted 17" rims and you can't downgrade from the 18" that come with the Xcellence. It ended up costing so much more that I thought I might as well get the Xcellence and try to sell the 18s and buy 17s.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Golfmk56 said:
Yes, heated leather seats perhaps not the best option for your part of the world. But I'm wondering, what use is Sat nav in Cyprus other than to those who suffer short term memory loss? :lol:
Haha, true. I didn't need the Sat Nav, but it was a prerequisite for the "Advance Comfort & Security Pack 2". I used that as a bargaining tool to get a bigger discount. Basically, I got the Sat Nav "thrown in" and paid for the pack.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
One thing I forgot to mention is that the Autopark function is not available in Cyprus. So even though Park Assist is included in the Xcellence trim, it only includes front/rear sensors and rear view camera. Considering all the hardware for Autopark should be there (having added traffic jam assist, rear cross traffic alert, etc), I'm hoping this will be something I'll be able to activate via OBDeleven in the near future. :?
I'll try asking in the main part of the forum.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.