Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
979 Posts
Ok so Clarkson is funny and entertaining to watch sometimes, but he is a dick and his reviews are mostly a joke like him. This review took 620 words before he even mentioned Ateca where he just driveled on before it. He then drivels on some more trying to be funny. Mentions 50 mpg in the 1.4 he is reviewing, which knowing the way he drives means he spent little if any time at all actually in it. Otherwise he would have noticed getting only around 30-42 mpg like 99% of people are reporting. :roll:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
He is mainly moaning about SUVs in general. Strangely a few years ago he reviewed the Skoda Yeti on Top Gear and said it was the best car ever. Not exactly consistent as the Ateca is basically a Yeti mk3.

He does say that the 1.4 has no acceleration in 6th at 70mph. Any comments?

·
Registered
32 Posts
What else would you expect from Mr clarkson?
Personally I found it quite humorous, after he eventually got round to talking about the Ateca.

·
Registered
328 Posts
In all fairness, he actually says that if he was forced to buy an SUV he would buy an Ateca so that eludes to the fact he thinks it's good at what it's supposed to do.

·
Registered
59 Posts
amuir said:
He does say that the 1.4 has no acceleration in 6th at 70mph. Any comments?
It takes a special type of person to expect acceleration from a 1.4 in 6th.

·
Registered
11 Posts
This review is absolutely worthless. He is bashing options of the car? Like you wouldn't have to stand in the rain with a Mercedes or a BMW with an electronic boot lid? It reads like he had to do this review, but he wasn't willing. And in the anger he decided to take it out on the subject he had to review. What good is a comment like "at least it has doors". If you can't (or won't) do a review properly by explaining in a proper manner why you rate something badly, then you seriously need to stop reviewing and go back to kindergarten.

·
Registered
45 Posts
My takeaway from the "review" was "I don't like it because it's not an F40".

The disappointing thing is that he's now trying so hard to be funny/controversial that he now has almost nothing relevant to say about cars at all.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Although one can ignore most of his review he does make a few points of interest that I haven't heard raised before.

One is the low seating position and whether that cancels out some of the advantages of the raised SUV level. I did go and sit in one this morning at my local dealer and possibly he has a point. Maybe SEAT use a slightly lower seat level to make it more sporty. I haven't compared it with a Tiguan and so am not really sure.

The other is the whole SUV versus normal car issue. I've been driving a borrowed normal golf size car recently as my Yeti has gear box problems and there are some definite advantages to having a lighter smaller more responsive and economical car with only slightly less space. I still like SUVs but makes you think..

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Clarkson is an idiot as anyone who has watched his new version of Top Gear on Amazon.

No one told him that the Ateca seats have a considerable difference in the seat height when adjusted. Clarkson is probably used to electric seats and doesn't know how to adjust a manual option.

As far as the SUV argument is concerned, I have a Leon Mk3 which is identical in most respects to the Ateca apart from the height and the Ateca is 95% similar to drive, just as responsive and economical. Many reviews have said that the Ateca is the closest you will get to a compact hatchback.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Fred99 said:
Clarkson is an idiot as anyone who has watched his new version of Top Gear on Amazon.

No one told him that the Ateca seats have a considerable difference in the seat height when adjusted. Clarkson is probably used to electric seats and doesn't know how to adjust a manual option.

As far as the SUV argument is concerned, I have a Leon Mk3 which is identical in most respects to the Ateca apart from the height and the Ateca is 95% similar to drive, just as responsive and economical. Many reviews have said that the Ateca is the closest you will get to a compact hatchback.
Exactly, as Thomas would say "pump it up man" :lol:

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
I wondered whether it was ghost written for him in the Clarkson style. I have zero time for him and the other two. Only tip bit you might get by watching the Grand Tour on fast forward is where the bits are made etc and the photography can be good. They take the **** out of audience since they have to be shown like artificial clapping, that we are really enjoying this trollop. But best watched drunk and some of the crowd on the UK ones look like they have pulled out of a pub to make up numbers. Think Amazon will chop it after its runs its contracted series.

Pump it up man, is when Thomas is being cool. I did note that a fair few of them I sat in had dropped seats since previous people had dropped them. The Tiguan was really low. The dealer was surprised when I raised it and explained it was the other salesman car and he liked it like that. I suspect a fair few coming from saloons try to mimic the seating position by having the seat low and peering over the wheel. I never get middle aged men that want to drive in low cars and get backache. That includes Clarkson.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Car reviews should be about car not about someones personal opinions. I dont care what some dude thinks. I decide what car to buy based on my preferences and the tests I review.

·
Registered
45 Posts
mike22 said:
Car reviews should be about car not about someones personal opinions. I dont care what some dude thinks. I decide what car to buy based on my preferences and the tests I review.
I think that's Clarkson's thing - if you want to read factual, balanced, informed reviews then they are out there, but he sees his role as to "entertain". However if he says "I rate this car as 2/5 because I don't like crossovers and it's not an F40" then he's stretched that the concept of a "review" to the point that it is not a review, nor is it entertaining.

It's a shame because about 30 years ago he actually added something to the motoring world (calling out cars which were poorly built and/or completely uninspiring) but now he's just become a 1 trick pony performing a pastiche of himself.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts