Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning my car seemed to turn over a bit more than ever before before catching and striking up. did flash across my mind it maybe wasn't going to start. Was only probably 5 or 6 turns but usually, even cold it had been instant before

-2 degrees Celsius
diesel
not coldest morning it's been struck up but first to make me wonder

anyway, I got to thinking, in the good old days you had an orange symbol thing light up on dash and you didn't turnover till it went out ~ that always took longer on cold days and was something to do with prewarming I think

what happens now that is different ?
as far as I know I'm meant to just get in and press my button ......

·
Registered
338 Posts
That was the old 'minute of silence', waiting until the glow pugs had warmed up! These days they heat up in seconds. If it carries on struggling to start, take it to the dealer to get them checked.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Leon said:
That was the old 'minute of silence', waiting until the glow pugs had warmed up! These days they heat up in seconds. If it carries on struggling to start, take it to the dealer to get them checked.
thanks Leon
I'll see what happens over next few days :)

·
Registered
328 Posts
My Audi that I had before the Ateca had the 2.0 Tdi 177 engine (similar to yours Saggy) and that had a push button start but on cold morning it used to pause for a few seconds before it started up. No problems actually starting though.

Does it pause before starting up when you press the start button?

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it does a pause but today it was then turning and not firing

previously had caught on 1st or 2nd turn

today was more, not horrendous amount but enough to make me notice

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
I would sometimes give my old diesels a bit of gas when that happened but starting with your right foot on the break means tricky, not good to start with the left and right and get confused. You get condensation in your fuel or it was just too cold.

My ZX developed a fault where it wouldn't start until it had churned over for 10 seconds or so in the winter. No garage could fix it. Think it was an airlock where the diesel ran back from the engine. It had a rubber bulb which was used to bleed the air in the fuel supply. Those bulbs get pin holes in them. I sold it to my brother for £400 and he used it for another eight years like it. Summer starting was fine, winter you just got clouds of smoke when it started.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.