1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my camera is playing up
transcend drive pro 200
plugged into 12v supply

at first I thought all was ok but (they were short runs) but now it seems to switch off after a little while

difficult to drive and monitor when and exactly what it does

sometimes no light at all
other times solid red
sometimes the standard flashing

just watched the films from this morning
starts ok and does about 15 mins and then there is no film until ive done an engine switch off and a restart later

is it possible the socket switches off after block of time ?

I'm trying to work through possibilities

anyone else having any issue that is plugged in that way?

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
eek it is possessed lol !!

got it plugged into computer at min through a garmin cable

if I press the red button it says museum in English and then in Chinese and the zoo in English and then Chinese :eek: :eek: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

·
Registered
918 Posts
Saggy said:
my camera is playing up
transcend drive pro 200
plugged into 12v supply

at first I thought all was ok but (they were short runs) but now it seems to switch off after a little while

difficult to drive and monitor when and exactly what it does

sometimes no light at all
other times solid red
sometimes the standard flashing

just watched the films from this morning
starts ok and does about 15 mins and then there is no film until ive done an engine switch off and a restart later

Happy new year, Ms Saggy :D

I would think it highly unlikely that a 12v live socket would also time out; but I'd never say never! I have had experiences where the movement in a car whilst driving has resulted in a poor connection between the socket and the 12v adapter for sat nav etc; in fact had one where even getting a good connection for a hand held vacuum didn't work very well when the car was parked :lol:

I'd maybe check the connection between the socket and adapter, and/or the tension in the routed wire in case it is making for a loose connection. I've still to install our cams in the cars and will look back to your original thread to follow a similar install !

If the 12 v sockets timed out, our old friend Tell would have more to worry him than the cool box just sliding about in the boot - assuming it is electric powered on his European escapades, lol :lol:

·
Registered
918 Posts
Saggy, see the attached link and open up the full spec for the device

https://www.transcend-info.com/Products/No-498

This suggests that the device will be operating as long as a full 12v feed is available; with some cars the ignition doesn't even need to be on to provide the power. I believe on the Ateca we need to have the ignition 'live' for the 12 v socket to work, i.e. The Kessy Start button pressed once or engine running - either will do!

Transcend suggest that on a permanent feed the device will continue to operate, so should be switched off manuall when not required.

My conclusion can only be either a loose connection occurring, a poor earth to the 12v socket, or -hopefully not - a fault in the cam itself?

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hello you and Happy New Year :mrgreen:

the museum and zoo bit made me think may be camera ~ was hilarious but a bit spooky lol

also on wireless it made it look like no films saved and yet on card reader stuff was there
Its as if formatting the card to clear it before messed with it

I've put a diff card in and also hit the return to factory settings, and pressed the reset button with a pin

will see what happens when I go out tonight

I did wonder if where cable is in a pillar it could be touching anything as there is speaker wire (well I think it was a speaker one) in there too

·
Registered
918 Posts
Another thought ! Is it definitely no longer recording after 15 mins, or do you just not see anything on the inbuilt screen ? I'm just wondering, if, in order to minimise power consumption, the inbuilt screen turns off after 15 mins??

.....just checked the online manual at this link:

http://www.transcend-info.com/files/Manual/Manual-DP200_EN_v2.3.pdf

Have a look at the setting on your unit for Auto Display Off on page 21; I think this may tell you what is actually happening :D

If it's not this, then I'm at a loss to think what else it could be, lol :lol: :?:

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have it on auto screen switch off after 1 min but it should stay red light flashing in corner

at first was so

but the after a few weeks it would go no light
suddenly solid red light
screen light up again
then nothing at all

whilst driving hard to really monitor what's going on

I did ask it to reformat today and it got stuck ~ hence the factory reset so wondering if it had just got itself and the chinese tour guide confused lol

I've put the card that came with it in now

I did have a same make and type but 32gb instead of 16gb and was great at first.
first time I noticed it go off I thought it may be that it had filled card and wasn't over writing hence me clearing card on computer first time and reformatting but I kept issues after that

will see what the next week brings

·
Registered
581 Posts
could be faulty. the one I bought recently was faulty from new and I had to swap it. It would record for about one second then just stop. tried 3 or 4 cards..
Last year my dad bought four the same, one for one for him, me, and my two sisters.. and within six months all four had packed up..
my mate is also on about his third dash cam.. and if you go on amazon, argos, halfords, etc, and read the reviews, they are filled with people moaning about failed units.. I have a cheap £30 one in my work van and the screen flickers on that all the time..
Even expensive ones seem to be made with very cheap parts and some seem to pack up...

The one I have currently works fine, although the screen does turn off after about 3 mins but have checked the files and it is recording...
Some are stroppy over make of card too.. and the need to be fast cards too, esp if set to 1080p or like mine 1440p! The ones marked Ultra and extreme or class 3 or 10 are sometimes not good enough and have low write speeds, need to be class 1, or with high write speeds around 90mbs+!!

·
Registered
918 Posts
Hmmmm.... well back to thinking sounds like connection or earth issues with the 12v socket, or a temperamental camera ! :x

Tech is great when it works and a PITA when it doesn't for those of us who want a simple life :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks Ghiggz
I'll see what happens and if no joy this time I'll run with diff cable in car (not fed through) and see what happens then

McDerms ~ my tv also packed up
aerial
on new years eve lol
and with working difficult to get anyone outas I'm not here so has to be on a weekend

I am now watching tv through my firestick on an app lol

praying broadband doesn't drop too hahah

·
Registered
918 Posts
Saggy said:
thanks Ghiggz
I'll see what happens and if no joy this time I'll run with diff cable in car (not fed through) and see what happens then

McDerms ~ my tv also packed up
aerial
on new years eve lol
and with working difficult to get anyone outas I'm not here so has to be on a weekend

I am now watching tv through my firestick on an app lol

praying broadband doesn't drop too hahah
Everything seems to happen at once, lol :lol:

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Saggy said:

Chiller box works fine on the 12v out. The USB power goes up and down like a yo-yo if the engine isn't running as the supply is powered up and times out.... but not your issue.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
New card and a factory settings it seemed fine tonight but short drives

Will start to alter things one by one ..... like dimming the screen as it is distracting in dark!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Solid red light (and a long beep) means the g-sensor has been triggered, happened a couple of times in the Jag on very bad potholes, might have happened once when I've been driving the Ateca. It will write-protect the file being recorded at that time and a short time before. I think you can change the sensitivity of the g-sensor in settings, though ours are both factory settings I think.

Mark

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks Mark

I did have the sensitivity altered as was aware of that but maybe even lowest settings it triggers easily

the thing is it switches off all together too sometimes mid journey

you know when you know something isn't right but you can't pin the triggers down ....... well that's this :roll: :cry:

hoping now back on factory settings and original card it will be ok ..... and then I'll alter things one by one (like screen turning off)

·
Registered
338 Posts
Does it have a 'sleep mode'? It's possible that it's not detecting an operate signal and shuts down into 'sleep mode' after a period of time. Just a thought.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thanks Leon but I don't think so

it has been fine on 4 trips today. I think factory reset made it happy ...... hope so !!

and went to maplins today to get a new aerial cable as found out today a guest at the weekend had been moved the tv on Friday when they were trying to switch it on
I know one cable to the booster box wasn't great wiring so I fitted new cable and now everything works again (kitchen telly was not working either and I'd presumed meant was main aerial that had failed but someone said it might be wired on a serial cabling thing and I guess it is seeing as all working again now

I'm a happy bunny today

1 - 17 of 17 Posts