Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

One thing I have wondered is with the Dashboard Backlighting. You can't see the dials because the backlight only turns on when your dipped beams are on or if they're off and the car detects bright sunlight. Is there a way to keep the backlighting on because it seems silly to drive with your dipped beams on everywhere in the middle of the day, just because the car doesn't detect any sunlight.

I don't have auto headlights, by the way.

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
That feature is a clever feature to make you turn the lights on its when getting dark. So you can't read the dash so you will turn the lights on, its on all the Ateca's even with auto lights.

Dipped beam, DRLs ?. Assume they all have these. The Xcellence and SE behave like this.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tell said:
That feature is a clever feature to make you turn the lights on its when getting dark. So you can't read the dash so you will turn the lights on, its on all the Ateca's even with auto lights.

Dipped beam, DRLs ?. Assume they all have these. The Xcellence and SE behave like this.
It's just annoying because it can be the middle of the day, but you gotta drive around with your headlights on because your car thinks it's dark out.

Dipped Beam is your headlights, not your full beam, I assume you wasn't sure what I meant by "Dipped Beam". In the UK we have Side Lights (which on the Ateca does nothing because the DRLs are so bright) and Dipped Beam on the headlight switch, and then Full Beam is activated by pulling the left hand, indicator stalk, towards or away from you.

To me it would be a better idea, seeing as selecting side lights on the headlight switch does nothing, to have it so selecting side light turns the dashboard backlight on, but not your headlights.

I guess being LED they won't run out, but I love the look of the DRLs so much that I hate them being washed out by the headlight being on, so to speak.

·
Registered
581 Posts
You're not alone I find it annoying too. Just this morning about 9am it was a nice bright morning, blue skies, but I couldn't see the dash clearly.
Never put lights on though, as always have the speed on the central display anyway..

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Tell said:
If you have the Auto lights option, presumably this does not happen as the lights will come on anyway.

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Freddie, yes. It only happens when the lights are turned off and DRL is all you have on, they are on by default. It's a safety feature to ensure you turn your lights on. In auto mode you don't have to worry about it.

It only catches me out (once) if I've turned them off auto whilst I fiddle with the car at night with the engine running or not and I don't want dipped beam on. Set off. Sometimes it does choose to put the dipped beam on when it's not so dark, you know that by the satnav screen going into night mode and the green light on the light switch. If you overrule and get tired of driving with the lights on when you judge it's not dark, as the day progresses and it starts to get dark it takes retribution on you and cuts the dashboard lights to force you to put the lights on, in my case auto.

That has only happened to me once. Thinking about it, it is when I decided I didn't want the dipped beam on and got fed up with seeing the satnav in night mode in the middle of the day. I think the set up is liberal on the use of the dipped beam as German drivers are, go to Austria etc and you have to have them on all the time.

I have the navigation screen on the centre display, enough beeps and blips when speeding from the road speed sounds enabled on the Navigation, traffic sign speed recognition (dynamic) and the uploaded speed cameras. I look at the traditional speedometer.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
If the auto lights come on when it really isn't dark enough, you can easily change the sensitivity in the menus.

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Have to think about that ;).... that's probably the solution.... I'll have a look through the menus. They are probably set for Germanic tastes. Thanks Freddie.

Probably all Ateca's are set like this. Mine definitely come on too early then it's from turning them off auto leads you down the road of dash lights going off later.

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Like this then Freddie .... will see how it goes. I think this is the one you mean to reduce the sensitivity of the dipped beam coming on. It was set to medium, I hadn't touched it. Means for people with automatic lights you don't turn them off since you disagree with what it's doing and then find you loose the dash lights later. Suspect you don't have this setting without auto ?. If you did, it might help if I'm not barking up the wrong tree.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Yes, that looks like the one. It's slightly different wording on the Leon but it does come under Light Assistance. Mine is set at medium. My priority is that it should always turn on in tunnels as there is a big fine if you don't. We have loads of motorway tunnels!

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Do tunnels abroad... see whether the M25 lighting in the tunnels is bright enough. It had been putting them on in lit tunnels. Certainly the medium setting was too liberal at putting the lights on, even in sunshine. See how it goes. Another setting perfected :).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Tell said:
Like this then Freddie .... will see how it goes. I think this is the one you mean to reduce the sensitivity of the dipped beam coming on. It was set to medium, I hadn't touched it. Means for people with automatic lights you don't turn them off since you disagree with what it's doing and then find you loose the dash lights later. Suspect you don't have this setting without auto ?. If you did, it might help if I'm not barking up the wrong tree.
You are correct, I don't have that option as I don't have auto lights. I like how it can be changed to suit what you want.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
ohhhhh I'd not seen that setting

I'll have a look tomorrow as mine seem to react quickly ~ I went into a shaded area near trees and noticed they came on (was using sat nav at time)

·
Registered
931 Posts
In the above photo posted by TELL - what's the 'Motorway light' setting for? I suppose if it were an Audi, it would probably continually flash headlights signalling to the car in front to move over :lol:

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
The top setting is the high speed light adjustment, page 136, activation / deactivate
Motorway light*
The motorway light is available on vehicles
equipped with full-LED lights.
The function is connected/disconnected via
the corresponding Easy Connect system
menu.
● Activation: when going above 110 km/h
(68 mph) for more than 30 seconds, the dip-
ped beam raises slightly to increase the driv-
er's visibility distance.
● Deactivation: when reducing the speed of
the car below 100 km/h (62 mph), the dip-
ped beam returns to its normal position.
When you switch on you see the beam level move which I'm assuming is all part of the mechanism.....

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Saggy said:
ohhhhh I'd not seen that setting

I'll have a look tomorrow as mine seem to react quickly ~ I went into a shaded area near trees and noticed they came on (was using sat nav at time)
Seems fine I was using them today on my jaunt to get my blind spot mirror glass put back in after they garage broke the original reconnecting the heating wires that were not plugged in at build.... I now feel complete :) (and the guy that bought the Ateca that they nicked the plain one from will or won't know that I've been using his plain old mirror glass for the last two weeks... they probably told him it was damaged it transit).

The lights did come on fine in the illuminated M25 tunnel although it wasn't at maximum brightens that they can get the tunnel lights on. I think that's an improvement and won't lead to the consequences of the thread least when you have auto lights and turn them off.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Golfmk56 said:
In the above photo posted by TELL - what's the 'Motorway light' setting for? I suppose if it were an Audi, it would probably continually flash headlights signalling to the car in front to move over :lol:
It raises the level of the headlight beam to light into a further distance than normal, when travelling a motorway speed; it's not the same as auto full beam as it only uses the normal 'dipped beam' lighting. :D

·
Registered
280 Posts
If you ask me these cars are getting too clever for their own good... they will be driving themselves next!

Oh, hang on a minute though... don't some of them do that already! ;)

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
With all the assistance extras and DSG the Ateca gets pretty close. Under the right circumstances, so long as you still touch the wheel, it will steer, brake, change gear and stop with no driver intervention.

I'm not sure I would really want more than that.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.