Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Quick and probably really simple question. Delighted to have picked up my ateca today. "Style" version (mid-range on th continent) with comfort packet which includes the 8inch display plus the full link too.

However, when I previously went on a test drive I saw there was a small compass on the front dashboard in the middle showing the direction of travel. At the time, I asked the salesman if that was standard on all versions and he said yes. But you know what I'm going to say next, right? My beauty doesn't appear to have the compass on the dashboard and no sign of settings for it. Have rummaged through the user manual and seen that it says that it shows on the dash when you've got navigation installed. Question is if anyone knows whether that's true or if there is someway I can have that handy little feature without sat nav installed? Or is the only option to have sat nav retro fitted?

Might seem like a small thing but I quite liked the idea of knowing what direction I'm driving in without relying on a full sat nav ;-)

Cheers,

Macca

·
Registered
338 Posts
Without the Satnav equipment, how would it be able to pick up directional data? No Satnav, no compass display. Never ever believe what sales folk tell you. ;)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's precisely what I thought, but had seen an entry level S model with it too and couldn't imagine anyone adding sat nav to it. Anyway, I did say it was a daft question! ;-)

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
You signed yourself full infotainment thou which I'd think was with satnav. If so if you want the compass then you got to frig with your settings. I keep my MFD set to display navigation and the route directions.

Since yours is called a Style clearly it's not one that's sits in the UK range so the base model you tried out was kitted out with a navigation. Perhaps the sales guy was right or wrong to say whichever country you tested it out in they all have navigation.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Tell said:
Perhaps the sales guy was right or wrong to say whichever country you tested it out in they all have navigation.
Yeah, good thinking, perhaps they were right....or wrong. Or maybe they were both? :roll:

·
Registered
931 Posts
macca138 said:
Question is if anyone knows whether that's true or if there is someway I can have that handy little feature without sat nav installed?

Macca
The sun rises in the East and sets in the West. It's very easy to work out which direction you're travelling in :lol:

Just out of interest, when you say it's a handy little feature... handy for what? Why do you need a compass?

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Golfmk56 said:
macca138 said:
Question is if anyone knows whether that's true or if there is someway I can have that handy little feature without sat nav installed?

Macca
The sun rises in the East and sets in the West. It's very easy to work out which direction you're travelling in :lol:

Just out of interest, when you say it's a handy little feature... handy for what? Why do you need a compass?
On that one I told Leon some bullocks a couple of months ago and he never picked me up on it :). It revolves around the way the sun moves in the southern hemisphere when he was squabbling about a dark car accident statistics in New Zealand were not relevant to the UK. I said that nothing is different apart from the sun moves backwards across the sky, which it does as shadows move in the reverse direction but then said east and west are reversed. Most disappointed that he never corrected me :).

The shadows move backwards as the sun is coming from the north rather than south as the day progresses the sun heads counterintuitive for us northern hemisphere dwellers. No good if you sit to read a paper or put your shoes in the shade expecting it to stay like it.

You people have just had Stargazing Live from Oz, the good prof has stayed out here and working with an Ozzie comedian next week is doing the show that the UK normally gets with the back to earth after programme. On ABC.

http://www.abc.net.au/tv/programs/stargazing-live/

I will be doing my normal tricks to get that programme when I get home.

Going back to the first post that's due to the navigation setup.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks all, daft question got some interesting discussion going then! :D

Salesman was wrong, simple. I'm based in Poland and tested in Poland and bought from a Polish dealership. No sat nav so compass. Oh well, I'm certain I will live.

As for the reason why it's useful is because we often don't have that much sunshine in the winter over here and also have a lot of Berny roads that turn at random locatoins so it ends up being quite easy to lose your bearings.

Anyway thanks for the. Responses and geography lesson, just what I was hoping for on a Sunday morning! ;-) happy Sunday all! I'm off for a drive in my new Ateca! :D

·
Registered
338 Posts
Tell said:
On that one I told Leon some bullocks a couple of months ago and he never picked me up on it :). It revolves around the way the sun moves in the southern hemisphere when he was squabbling about a dark car accident statistics in New Zealand were not relevant to the UK. I said that nothing is different apart from the sun moves backwards across the sky, which it does as shadows move in the reverse direction but then said east and west are reversed. Most disappointed that he never corrected me
I assumed you didn't understand the term 'not relevant'. :lol:

·
Registered
132 Posts
I find a compass very useful if driving in the southern hemisphere. In the UK I have a very good sense of direction but in the southern hemisphere I get disoriented, most peculiar as my "body compass" is 90 degrees out. I hired a campervan in NZ and had to go and buy myself a compass, really weird.
I used to have a compass point on an older satnav, found it very useful even in the UK, missing it on my cheaper TomTom, so fully understand macca138 :)

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Colour choice and accident likelihood is the same wherever you are in the world Leon although the AA did a study if your vision of the world stops at the UK.

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Phosphoric said:
I find a compass very useful if driving in the southern hemisphere. In the UK I have a very good sense of direction but in the southern hemisphere I get disoriented, most peculiar as my "body compass" is 90 degrees out. I hired a campervan in NZ and had to go and buy myself a compass, really weird.
I used to have a compass point on an older satnav, found it very useful even in the UK, missing it on my cheaper TomTom, so fully understand macca138 :)
It is weird the passage of light in the southern hemisphere and North and South being inverted. I'm a satellite navigation person myself so wouldn't dream of not using it. It pushes you to places you wouldn't dream of going to or walking to and getting back from. I raid tile servers, scan paper maps in and digitise those on the standard wsg84 reference system using a bit of Microsoft's development code. How I get hiking maps in for Ireland that use their own projections.

On the plug hole spinning one in the southern hemisphere tried that many years ago and that one is hocus pokus although the water span correctly for me.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Tell said:
Colour choice and accident likelihood is the same wherever you are in the world Leon although the AA did a study if your vision of the world stops at the UK.
Well, if certain colours of cars are more popular than others then, it's more likely that an accident may happen involving those cars. The only relevance there is that certain colours are more popular than others and nothing to do with accident statistics themselves, regardless of location.

Unlike you, I'm not a member of Alcoholics Anonymous so, I don't have access to their study. :lol:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts