Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone fitted a dashcam to their ateca?

I have one from my old audi, and I used to run the cables from the top of the windscreen to the roof lining down the edge and under the trim under the mat and up...unfortunately I can't seem to move the roof lining and reluctant to give it a good old yank down like I would in my audi as this is the newest car I have ever purchased...

Would be great to know how you guys have fitted yours? Note I have a panoramic roof!

Thanks
Andy

·
Registered
132 Posts
Well, what a coincidence. I was just about to post that I have fitted my dashcam. Took it slowly and it took me about an hour.
You need to be parked up so that you can open the passenger door fully. Pop off the nearside windscreen pillar trim and disconnect the tweeter cable, just makes it easier to get it out of the way.
Then you need to open the nearside passenger door fully and pop out the trim that includes the air bag switch, it comes off really easily.
Drop the glove box right down to access the fusebox (covered elsewhere but dead easy).
You can then poke a cable from the fuse box area to the place where the air bag switch is quite easily. I piggy backed off fuse SC47 ( rear wiper) which is ignition switched. That's where I located the 12V to 5V adaptor box that you get with a hardwire kit. Got an earth off a nearby bolt and .......it all worked.

As for the head lining, I just pushed the cable in to the gap between the headlining and the screen and it all disappeared OK, certainly wouldn't consider the need to remove the head lining, just push it in the gap!

Without any other instruction I just found it relatively easy. Message me if you want more detail :)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Phosphoric said:
Well, what a coincidence. I was just about to post that I have fitted my dashcam. Took it slowly and it took me about an hour.
You need to be parked up so that you can open the passenger door fully. Pop off the nearside windscreen pillar trim and disconnect the tweeter cable, just makes it easier to get it out of the way.
Then you need to open the nearside passenger door fully and pop out the trim that includes the air bag switch, it comes off really easily.
Drop the glove box right down to access the fusebox (covered elsewhere but dead easy).
You can then poke a cable from the fuse box area to the place where the air bag switch is quite easily. I piggy backed off fuse SC47 ( rear wiper) which is ignition switched. That's where I located the 12V to 5V adaptor box that you get with a hardwire kit. Got an earth off a nearby bolt and .......it all worked.

As for the head lining, I just pushed the cable in to the gap between the headlining and the screen and it all disappeared OK, certainly wouldn't consider the need to remove the head lining, just push it in the gap!

Without any other instruction I just found it relatively easy. Message me if you want more detail :)
Thanks for the detailed info! I didn't mean remove the headlining but on my audi and the Leon I managed to pull the headlining down a little at the front to slip the cable in. I also have a rear camera too.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I just bought the Nextbase hardware kit from Halfords for £30 and they fitted it for free.

They did a fantastic job, however if they had caused any damage at least they are insured.

·
Registered
290 Posts
So many cats now have dashcams.. why do people use them and does it not obstruct your view (or annoy?). Have one on my bicycle to capture images those car drivers who try to kill me.. wouls like excuse to have gadget for car but not yet got my head round its use.. and why a permanent link rather than switch on/off when driving and recharge it when not using car - or use cigarette lighter (do they still do these?)

·
Registered
218 Posts
missy said:
So many cats now have dashcams..
I didn't know this!! I bet they capture some interesting footage!! :lol: :lol:

In answer to your question, my dashcam is discreet as it's hidden behind my rear view mirror so I can't see it when driving.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Oops!!

·
Registered
218 Posts
Missy do they dashcams for dogs as well? :lol:

I would like to see what my pug gets up to!!

·
Registered
581 Posts
missy said:
So many cats now have dashcams.. why do people use them and does it not obstruct your view (or annoy?). Have one on my bicycle to capture images those car drivers who try to kill me.. wouls like excuse to have gadget for car but not yet got my head round its use.. and why a permanent link rather than switch on/off when driving and recharge it when not using car - or use cigarette lighter (do they still do these?)
So many cars have them because of massive A-holes like these...
These ares from my £20 cheapo cam in my works van...

I captured this first one on Friday morning...
overtaken on inside, cutup, sped off 50mph+ then jumped red lights...
this one has been sent to the rozzers as I found it too dangerous not too, that driver needs speaking too!

Some random others from last few weeks...

[URL=https://youtu.be/-k-nTaATmrM]

[URL=https://youtu.be/1ADLL481KU4]

[URL=https://youtu.be/L0XnrOp6D60]

[URL=https://youtu.be/R-lePK3ADe0]

Last year the wife was driven into on a roundabout, 3rd party said she hit him, no witnesses, no cctv, no dashcam, in the end it was decided 50/50 and we had to pay our £300 excess because some nob cant keep in his lane... so now I would not drive without one!!!

·
Registered
979 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
missy said:
.. and why a permanent link rather than switch on/off when driving and recharge it when not using car - or use cigarette lighter (do they still do these?)
With a permanent installation it really is fit and forget. It just sits there doing its thing automatically but you have the assurance that you have some evidence in the rare event that something untoward happens.

·
Registered
581 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Within a week of purchasing my first dashcam I recorded someone driving through a set of traffic lights on red on the wrong side of the junction next to a school!

I was that incensed by it I filled out the online form and a copper came and viewed the footage. They visited the driver whose attitude was that poor they prosecuted him using my footage as evidence and he lost his licence!

·
Registered
341 Posts
Ghiggz said:
Just to add an update to above, the rozzers emailed me back and said I need to give a statement and be prepared to attend court if required.
I said didn't want to get 'that' involved Just felt obliged to report as it was such shocking driving, and they said in that case they are not interested... Pathetic!!
Well going to court is no big deal, guess it would have been at a magistrates court, often they just admit there crime and that is that.... I reported a HGV driver using his phone while at a junction and then driving off, filmed him on my phone (i was walking like to add!). 2 months later popped along to court, told the magistrate what happened etc, end result, he lost his HGV licence, 6 points and his job but that's better then someone killed by the idiot.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Yep, that's the point - sometimes they need the witnesses to add weight to the court arguments especially if they're fighting it.

Remember, for evidential purposes in criminal cases they need to prove beyond reasonable doubt, so if the driver comes up with some half-baked alternative theory they need you to come along and say "yes, but I saw this twit doing this, I was there on that date at that time and I recorded the footage".

Nearly been run off the road by so many idiots I decided to get a dashcam too, just in case. Really hope I never have to use it though!

Be curious to see how many get the permanent wiring kits and how many use the cigarette lighter for their dashcams...? Mine's the lighter 'cos it's temporary until my shiny new Ateca eventually (if ever) arrives, but mulling over whether to get the fixing kit.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I am quiet happy with the lighter setup... mine curls straight under the centre console... posted some pics already somewhere on here??

If he had hit me/another car/ped at the time, I def would have, but just for driving like a bit of a nob, I just felt obliged to report it (for all the good it did) but wasn't going to be going out of my way giving statements and maybe taking time off to go to court etc...

About ten years ago my father and I caught two idiots doing over a parcel delivery van outside the house, my father pinned one down as he jumped out the back, and I held the doors shut locking the other one in, til the police arrived... we gave statements etc then...
and our lives were hell for months then from them and their gang of cronies..
we had GRASS spray painted on the road outside the house, on our garden wall, and on our drive...
they threw stones at our cars when we drove past them..
they tried to steal our cars..
they spat on my kids down the local shops..
they spat on my mother down the shops...
I was up the nick all the time and they basically did nothing to help us or stop it....

In the end one day they stoned my car again as I past some, I lost it, turned around sped towards them, all waving me on, they assumed I was going to get out and kick off, instead I mounted the pavement at about 30mph and just ploughed right into them... two jumped over a wall and I partially hit the third...
Then I was walking to my mothers a few days later and walked right into one on his own in a lane behind the shops, and beat the crap out of him...
they seemed to stop after that!!!

So I am not going down that road again unless I really have to.....

I didn't see the driver, and they are not shown on the clip so the RK could have denied being the driver and it then drags out...
I have seen the same car around twice since then with the same guy driving it mind....

·
Registered
778 Posts
Yeah, I get what you mean about the 'rewards' for doing the right thing sometimes. A symptom of the times - and too many prats on the road :(

·
Registered
290 Posts
Could you possibly post details or links to cigarette socket connecting dashcams and is cabling straight down wimdow glass or long enoiugh to be diverted around windscreen somehow?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts