Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone confirm for me please - when i put my sidelights on - the footwell lights light up (as expected) but the dashboard lights i.e. the lights behind the speed do not seem to come on -they only activate when i put my main beam lights on. All 17 other cars i've owned the dashlights came on with the sidelights. I checked the settings and have the dashboard brightness turned up to full - which works fine, but only when main beams are on.

Any ideas - or is this standard?

·
Registered
979 Posts
Howie669 said:
Can someone confirm for me please - when i put my sidelights on - the footwell lights light up (as expected) but the dashboard lights i.e. the lights behind the speed do not seem to come on -they only activate when i put my main beam lights on. All 17 other cars i've owned the dashlights came on with the sidelights. I checked the settings and have the dashboard brightness turned up to full - which works fine, but only when main beams are on.

Any ideas - or is this standard?
It's probably like that on purpose, as if its dark enough for you not to see the dashboard you should have main beam on ;)

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Kindness71 said:
It's probably like that on purpose, as if its dark enough for you not to see the dashboard you should have main beam on ;)
you know - i did think about that - but to be fair there are plenty of times when i leave for work and coming down the spine road the light outside is nowhere near dark but the dashboard is very dull.

And also doesn't that defeat the point of sidelights when you have day time running lights then?

·
Registered
979 Posts
Howie669 said:
Kindness71 said:
you know - i did think about that - but to be fair there are plenty of times when i leave for work and coming down the spine road the light outside is nowhere near dark but the dashboard is very dull.

And also doesn't that defeat the point of sidelights when you have day time running lights then?
Ahh the good old A189 :D , except when you get to the moor farm roundabout which is a bitch :lol:

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Safety features to stop people running around with only DLRs as it gets dark. With the Xcellence you can get this if you take it off auto lights if you get fed up with the lights being on when it's not dark. You can adjusted the sensitivity of when the auto lights come on in the Xcellence (make it late) which then avoids you having to turn it off auto which in turn finds you entering into the safety features of not having dash lights.

If you don't have auto lights taking out the dash lights as it gets dark is the feature to force drivers to turn on the lights. There is a sensor in the dash screen, you'd have to shine a torch into it after dark if you wanted circumvent the safety feature.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tell said:
Safety features to stop people running around with only DLRs as it gets dark. With the Xcellence you can get this if you take it off auto lights if you get fed up with the lights being on when it's not dark. You can adjusted the sensitivity of when the auto lights come on in the Xcellence (make it late) which then avoids you having to turn it off auto which in turn finds you entering into the safety features of not having dash lights.

If you don't have auto lights taking out the dash lights as it gets dark is the feature to force drivers to turn on the lights. There is a sensor in the dash screen, you'd have to shine a torch into it after dark if you wanted circumvent the safety feature.
Not sure i get this Tell - as the SE Tech doesn't have auto - it has "off" - which is DRL's running only, sidelights - which adds the rear lights and then main beam. Surely switching to sidelights as it was getting to dusk - or even just a grey day here in the UK to add your rear lights you'd also want to see the dash - if this activates the footwell lights (SEAT decided it's dark enough that you need to see your feet whilst driving!!) then surely they would think well you might want to see the dash too when it's not dark enough to justify the main beam. Not a huge thing i suppose - just only car i have experienced where this is the case.

·
Registered
163 Posts
So why dont you turn the lights on and the dashboard will lit? Not sure what your issue is... as you do not have the AUTO function you just need to turn the lights yourself.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
mike22 said:
So why dont you turn the lights on and the dashboard will lit? Not sure what your issue is... as you do not have the AUTO function you just need to turn the lights yourself.
Because i don't want to drive around with my main beam on when it's only slightly dark/grey (not justifying having your main beams on - like people that drive with their fogs on when not foggy) but i want to see the dash better as when it's a a grey day and the shadow within the binnacle means you can't always see the dials well.

As mentioned above this would then defunct the use of the sidelights - as you're suggesting either have the DRL's on or the main beam.......

Going through a tunnel with strip lighting - no need for main beams but you can't see the speedo in that light without the dashboard lit

G

·
Howie669 said:
Not sure i get this Tell - as the SE Tech doesn't have auto - it has "off" - which is DRL's running only, sidelights - which adds the rear lights and then main beam.
Behavior of the different light switch positions differ from country to another, so I cannot be sure how they behave in UK. Here in Finland at least, turning to sidelights does not ADD the rear lights - it turns on the sidelights and rear lights and turns off the DRLs. So you only have the sidelights, no main beam and no daytime running lights.

Howie669 said:
Because i don't want to drive around with my main beam on when it's only slightly dark/grey (not justifying having your main beams on...
For me this sounds very unfamiliar - for a good reason. :) Before DRLs, we used to have a law which required main beams on always when the car was moving, with no exceptions. No matter night or day, broad daylight, rain or fog, rural road or built-up area - main beam ALWAYS ON. Today you can at least use the DRLs on broad daylight. If your car is not equipped with proper DRLs, the main beam requirement still applies.

I drove a rental car in UK some years ago. For me, all those "stealth" cars with their lights off on a grey autumn day looked quite spooky! :lol:

·
Banned
2,739 Posts
Howie669 said:
Tell said:

Not sure i get this Tell - as the SE Tech doesn't have auto - it has "off" - which is DRL's running only, sidelights - which adds the rear lights and then main beam. Surely switching to sidelights as it was getting to dusk - or even just a grey day here in the UK to add your rear lights you'd also want to see the dash - if this activates the footwell lights (SEAT decided it's dark enough that you need to see your feet whilst driving!!) then surely they would think well you might want to see the dash too when it's not dark enough to justify the beam. Not a huge thing i suppose - just only car i have experienced where this is the case.
Yes it was an early complaint on here with the SE Tech etc. Some people thought there was a brightness control for the screen, a fault etc. I thought the Xcellence was free of this feature until I got fed up with the dipped lights turning themselves on when it wasn't very dark on one trip, so I turned auto off then saw the safety feature as it started to get dark which previously had wondered what people were going on about. Xcellence drivers can mitigate from this by turning the sensitivity of the main beam to late so you don't have to turn auto off when you get fed up with dipped beam being on when it doesn't need to be on. I suspect having the manual switch you will just have to use it.

Another thread where it's covered, there are a number of others.

http://atecaforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=613&hilit=dash+light

If you study the screen you can see the sensor it uses. Flashing it with a torch would make it turn the dashlights on and off but not a sensible solution. The feature is aimed at the complaints echoed by Honest John and others that people don't turn their main beam on with DLR so this features is aimed to give you trouble if you attempt to drive the car with only DLR on and it deems you should have the dipped beam on due to ambient cabin brightness. On the continent some countries you are legally required to use the dipped beam in tunnels so yes you would have to keep turning the manual switch to on, perhaps another reason they do this similar to the retribution of using fog lights above 40 MPH. Keeping you to what the manufacturer feel to be legal with a "helpful feature". Others don't think this safety feature is helpful. I haven't come across any technical solutions but if there are any they would be via Obdeleven / VCDS.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the info and link Tell (i'm glad i'm not the only one that found this a bit weird) - never mind - i'll keep a small LED torch cable tied to the dash to shine on the sensor and keep it lit up when the headlights aren't on... Or the torch will just light up the dash removing the need for it to be lit up............... hhhhmmmmm hahahaha

1 - 11 of 11 Posts