Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hola... Almost there, having been invited to my dealer to sort the paperwork prior to collecting my Ateca Xcellence sometime next week, hopefully!
My question to those of you with previous experience is how do the Seat "incentive deals" work? I ordered my car in January with the offer of £1000 off but this disappeared when Seat could not deliver before the March deadline! I was told that the new "offer" of £500 off for having a test drive + £250 fuel voucher would apply, however I have now been told that the fuel voucher is not available and that the £500 has already been taken off . I can't actually see this on my papers! The basic invoice price is now £13 less than quoted in January and this appears to be £567 less than the new April list price. Should I be happy to accept this, all extras are costing the same as quoted back in Jan.
A final point, I asked for 1 years extra warranty and was told that the dealers own warranty was better than Seat's but not informed why, any suggestion ?
Many thanks for any thoughts on the above, sorry if my posts all focus on money but it's been a frustrating 3 months wait, I'm really looking forward to posting about THE CAR !

·
Registered
579 Posts
Hi Rumi Rob. Coincidentally I actually checked my overall price with the dealer recently. Despite only ordering on 20th March, they included £250 on-line voucher (I had to trawl for it), £500 test drive discount, and £538 carwow discount. Given the delays in production, I don't see how any dealer dare time bar you on any of these deals, despite what the small print might have said. SEAT Ipswich referred to the March deadline for the test drive discount but that was in December. SEAT Colchester (who I bought through) made no mention of it.

Out of interest, what RRP did you get given for the Xcellence? My dealer (and the brochure) shows £24,440 but I saw in Auto Express last night that they are showing the base price as £23,900 (or there about).

Can't really help you on the warranty issue but common sense / logic would suggest that any manufacturers warranty should be better. Based just on my own experience, my current Mitsubishi has a manufacturers Gold extended warranty that covers pretty much everything that was covered under the original warranty other than fair wear and tear. I will certainly look into this in more detail with my dealer.

·
Registered
931 Posts
I prefer to negotiate deals without any offers included because I'm not interested in them. I ask the dealer to give me a straight forward price, they can include / exclude whatever they want amongst themselves.

The problem with offers is theres always T&C. You'll likely find in the small print 'subject to availability' so what the dealer is telling you is probably true.

Regarding dealers own warranty being better - in what way? Ask what the advantages are. The dealer is selling an insurance policy and will retain a percentage of the sale cost for themselves so it's in their interest to promote it. I can't really see how it's better than a manufacturer's warranty - the manufacturer's warranty means you can take your car to any manufacturer approved dealer to have the claim honoured. With the dealer warranty, I'm assuming any work has to be with that dealer? So what if the dealer goes bust? What if you move out the area? etc. Is the dealers warranty transferable if you decide to sell the car? You'll have to read the T&C of both warranties and only you can decide what's best for you, but I'd be a little cautious of their claim.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Why not avoid this silly messing about by using a broker? I got almost 10% off list of our Ateca this way.

The local dealer peed me off after the first test drive by offering me circa £400 discount on a spend of £35k. I shall do my best to go elsewhere for servicing now too.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Ok, so a couple of points I'm picking up here.

#1 - The £1,000 off voucher. I would get hold of Seat UK ASAP - because of the long delivery delays they've honoured other buyer's purchases. This is a Seat UK promotion, not a dealer thing so get head office to intervene.

#2 - Extended warranty. I sincerely doubt it's better. The dealer's warranty will simply be an insurance policy, nothing more, nothing less, and tied to the dealer. The Seat warranty is exactly that - a warranty with no limits, no excesses (aside from the 'usual' clauses of the base warranty); as they say, it's exactly like the first three year warranty you get, just longer.

Other 'extended warranties' are insurance products with limits and exceptions - I've used the post-sales Seat extended warranty before when my manufacturer warranty ran out and it was very good, but like all insurance policies there are claim limits and excesses. For example they say cost of repairs cannot exceed £10,000 or maybe the value of the vehicle. It may be sufficiently improbable, but you need to be aware of that limitation.

Also, who underwrites this poilcy? Mine was Seat branded but underwritten by Mondial and they were easy for the dealers to sort out whereas the guy on the service desk says they're not always like that.

As has been hinted at already, a dealer-backed extended warranty may be tied to the dealer / dealer network (so you may not be able to go anywhere else or you may have to seek prior permission to get it sorted by another Seat dealer), whereas a Seat warranty covers you at any Seat authorised dealer.

What Golfmk56 suggests it's certainly correct that you should question what are you getting and is it better. The Seat extended warranty needs to be taken out at time of purchase / before registration so timing may be against you here, however it is certainly worth checking out!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts