Seat Ateca SUV Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here's the dilema, one week to go before collecting your brand new '17 plate Ateca and your dealer calls you to say that because he needs a few more Feb registrations to make his dealer bonus, he's offering you £500 discount if you register your car by 28th Feb, thus a 66 plate. (everything remains the same - you'll still be 1st registered owner).

So what do you do? Collect your car on 1st March, or save £500 and collect it 24hr earlier.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I'd be tempted by the money. I think when you come to sell it there will be so many other factors in play that this will get lost in the roundings. At the end of the day it's still a 2017 car.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I would say it depends how much saving £500 means to you and how long you plan to keep the car.

If you're keeping the car for some years the difference between the registered year 66/17 won't be that great and if £500 to you now helps financially then that might be your answer. If planning to sell / trade it in within a couple of years the reg difference could be a bit more significant, but there's no guarantees.

Personally, I would probably test the water and see if they'd give a better discount for early registration... if they do, I'd go for it, otherwise stick with March.....did you get a "deal" when you agreed the purchase...that's another factor.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I'm on personalised plate so wouldn't matter to me to wait ...... but if I wasn't vanity would make me want the 17 plate ;)

·
Registered
241 Posts
Bear in mind your VED will always be due on the 1st March, so if you're planning to keep it for a set number of years, the tax will be a pain at the end. I might also be tempted to look at second hand Leon values to see how the differ on a plate change after three years or so. While it won't be a perfect comparison, it's probably the best one there is.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I'd be tempted to ask for more of a discount, see how desperate they are.

Personally it would be £1000 discount or the 17 plate :lol:

·
Registered
59 Posts
If the car is on finance then the £500 would probably work out at a £10-15 saving per month wouldn't it?

In that case I'd probably wait the extra day.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Grahamn said:
I would say it depends how much saving £500 means to you and how long you plan to keep the car.

If you're keeping the car for some years the difference between the registered year 66/17 won't be that great and if £500 to you now helps financially then that might be your answer. If planning to sell / trade it in within a couple of years the reg difference could be a bit more significant, but there's no guarantees.

Personally, I would probably test the water and see if they'd give a better discount for early registration... if they do, I'd go for it, otherwise stick with March.....did you get a "deal" when you agreed the purchase...that's another factor.
1st question is unknown. Usually keep cars on average for 3 years but sometimes have to get rid of them sooner if I'm unhappy with it.

you're right about reg change. It's like the difference between selling a 13 or 63 plate car today - there are far greater concerns that will affect the price than the plate - it won't make much of a difference. (A year change has greater impact)

the original 'offer' was part cash / part 'free' protection pack. Protection pack worthless to me so negotiated £500 cash.

And yes, it all comes down to the overall price. I was very happy with the deal from my (almost local) dealer where the deal already matched the best broker price. But now with that £500 - a bit of no brainer. £500 for a few weeks vanity until loads of other 17 plates hit the road and then in 6 months time, to see that £500 all but disappear?

used to feel special when picking car up on 1st August, but when they changed to two reg plates per year... nah? Common as muck. :lol:

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
NeilW said:
Bear in mind your VED will always be due on the 1st March, so if you're planning to keep it for a set number of years, the tax will be a pain at the end.
I'm just stuggling to understand that with any clarity. Can you explain in more detail for simple folk like me? :lol:

The 2018 VED on the car will be due on 1st Feb - I'd be loosing a month's VED for the 1st year which works out around £9. What difference would subsequent years make?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Golfmk56 said:
NeilW said:
Bear in mind your VED will always be due on the 1st March, so if you're planning to keep it for a set number of years, the tax will be a pain at the end.
I'm just stuggling to understand that with any clarity. Can you explain in more detail for simple folk like me? :lol:

The 2018 VED on the car will be due on 1st Feb - I'd be loosing a month's VED for the 1st year which works out around £9. What difference would subsequent years make?
Sorry, typed in a rush with too many things in my head. Yes, it would be due in February. It only becomes an issue when you next change. If you want to change on 1st March in a future year you'd end up paying for February and March as the DVLA will calculate the refund on whole months remaining when they receive the notification.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Dealers can tax a brand new car for longer than a year.

If you want to take the £500 insist on your dealer taxing it for 1 year and 1 day.

That's what I am doing when I collect mine on 1 April. It will be registered on 31March to benefit from the lower VED (it goes up for vehicles registered after 1 April) and the £1000 from Seat (cars need to be registered by 31 March). Dealer has agreed to tax my car for 1 year and 1 day!

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That's a good point for folk collecting April 1st but I'm still stuggling on why tax the car for an extra day especially in your circumstance.

As I said above, I'd loose £9 purchaing the car at the end of this month, and worst case scenario, potentially another £9 if I sold the car at the end of whatever month I chose to sell it. My total saving from list for a 1.4tsi Xcellence with metallic is almost £2000 so the £18max potential loss in VED buying and selling it is only splitting hairs - it's not even worth the bother.

But when I see the spec of your car! All those cost options where you'll stand to loose approx 90% of the price paid for them, and you're concerned about loosing £185 over 3 years!!! :lol:

There has to be some Scots blood running in your family?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I had a similar dilemma, albeit from a leasing perspective. Ended up with a slightly cheaper monthly payment for opting to get the car in Feb. Only a few quid in it admittedly, but being a tight git I accepted and ended up taking delivery today.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts